The FZ-R1 project Update:10/8/14

Got a Yamazuki or a Yamonda? This section is for those who are a little more creative...

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

shredex
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Re: The FZ-R1 project (lots of pictures)

Post by shredex »

i hate the yzf600 tank...its ugly...and my seat doesnt match up...freeze had to cut his seat up to get it to match the yzf tank.

Im going with the 04-06 r1 tank. it looks great.
sweekster
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by sweekster »

1. Get rid of those old school passenger pegs. They look totally out of place.
2. How about just cutting off the bottom of the R1 tank you want to use and just grafting a custom bottom on there? That way you know it'll fit.
Duane...
Bike:
1994 Yamaha FZR 1000 EXUP
Factory Pro Stage 1 Jetting | K&N Filter | Corbin Seat | ProTek Keyless Gas Cap | GSXR Mirrors
My Thread
Cage:
2005 Saab 9-7x 5.3i Arc AWD

THE WIKI IS YOUR FRIEND
THE SEARCH IS YOUR SIGNIFICANT OTHER
USE THEM!!
shredex
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by shredex »

sweekster wrote:
1. Get rid of those old school passenger pegs. They look totally out of place.
2. How about just cutting off the bottom of the R1 tank you want to use and just grafting a custom bottom on there? That way you know it'll fit.

1. I am! a local guy is selling a box of r1 parts (rear sets/passenger pegs/ brake res/brake lines/ and other misc stuff for $75. ill offer $50...but I will wait till next week.

2. thats kinda what im doing. Im cutting off the parts that are making it not fit and welding on new plates so its a perfect fzr match up. although, I might still need to cut off the fzr tank mounts that are on the frame. Ill see what I can do.
might even chop of the bottom of the r1 tank and weld on the the bottom of the fzr tank!
that would also mean that I could carry an extra 1.5 gallons
thatkid
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by thatkid »

shredex wrote:i hate the yzf600 tank...its ugly...and my seat doesnt match up...freeze had to cut his seat up to get it to match the yzf tank.

Im going with the 04-06 r1 tank. it looks great.
You realize there is absolutely minimal difference in the two tank designs? So claiming the YZF600 tank is ugly is kinda like saying the R1 tank is ugly...except for this small part.

It's like people that say I like kids. That's like saying you like people...for a little while.
Do YOU Scopper?

"When some people cry, it's not because they’re weak. It’s because they’ve been strong for far too long."
megaloxana
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by megaloxana »

thatkid wrote: you realize there is absolutely minimal difference in the two tank designs? So claiming the YZF600 tank is ugly is kinda like saying the R1 tank is ugly...except for this small part
I gotta disagree. The 04 R1 tank is very different the yzf tank.
95FZR600 wrote:I think the R1 tank looks great on the R1 but not on the fzr if you have to use a hammer on it to make it fit then its not worth it. You should sell it and go buy an R1 if thats the look you really want.
He doesn't exactly have a stock looking fzr. And not worth it if it needs a hammer? How about a GRINDER mark. Buying a bike and building one are two totally different things. Now i don't know if shred is thinking in that aspect or not.
Anyway come on guys.. don't be so negative when people try to get creative or when you don't like it.

Shred--I would stay away from trying to weld on the tank. Good chance you'll be dealing with pinoles. If you think you can get it to work with hammering, then go for it. Touch it up with some bondo afterwards.
'92 FZR 600
Airtech R1 kit \*/ 520 conversion \*/ 14F-47R gearing
K&N pod filters \*/ Stage 3 jet kit \*/ Factory Pro shift kit \*/ Full V&H SS exhaust
Custom '02 R6 undertail \*/ YZF gas tank \*/ Raised via dogbones \*/ custom flush turnsignals
Full R6 brake set-up \*/ SS lines \*/ Progressive fork springs \*/ ZX2 coilpack

ADD YOURSELF TO THE OFFICIAL FZRONLINE GOOGLE EARTH MAP :bunny :banjoman
shredex
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by shredex »

thatkid wrote:
You realize there is absolutely minimal difference in the two tank designs? So claiming the YZF600 tank is ugly is kinda like saying the R1 tank is ugly...except for this small part.

It's like people that say I like kids. That's like saying you like people...for a little while.
yes, and some people are ugly...
95FZR600 wrote:He hacked up the seat to fit the FZR plastic cover.
loook back on his build. it was a yzf tank.

Mega- Glad you can understand...lol
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

95FZR600 wrote:All im saying is your stuck on the R1 like I am on the R6 but you dont see any of us trying to hack away on the actual tank to make it fit the fzr. There is nothing wrong with the looks of the yzf600 tank and can easily be converted to fit our fzr's. Im not trying to discourage you from using it, just hammering and welding it.

Im all for you taking a GRINDER to it!!
if you want to see what a hacksaw, hammer, welder & hand grinder can do to a tank look at:-

http://www.saltmine.org.uk/kgb/yp2.html

http://www.saltmine.org.uk/kgb/patriot.html

and see what I did working under a mango tree Nerd
shredex
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by shredex »

went to Northern Tools and bought myself a 4" metal cutting disk and put the thing on my ryobi drill!

did ALOT of hacking to the r1 tank...well, actually only a little bit.
I hacked up the crappy tank to practice and see if it will work, and it works!

all I need to do now is cut the REAL tank im using and buy a piece of sheet metal and have it bent a 90 degrees and weld it on. then I am getting the r1 tank bracket which will hold the seat and tank in place.
im also making some brackets to hold the front of the tank up.

oh and I also get to make a custom bottom plate that will bolt right on and have the petcok and stuff :)

I just need to somehow get the tank to the shop...dont have a big enough back pack..lol
shredex
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by shredex »

made a cold start vid with some damage that I did when I dropped the bike on its side in the parking lot.
http://s52.photobucket.com/albums/g38/d ... CF1084.flv

and here is what I had to cut from the r1 tank to get it to fit the fzr
slayermd
Level 5.0
Level 5.0

Post by slayermd »

shredex wrote:made a cold start vid with some damage that I did when I dropped the bike on its side in the parking lot.
http://s52.photobucket.com/albums/g38/d ... CF1084.flv

and here is what I had to cut from the r1 tank to get it to fit the fzr
It gets to 30 degrees in Florida!?!?!?!

Anyway, I like how only one side of the lights are on. Sometimes that style looks good and sometimes its crap (any Kawa).

And Im pretty sure if I was mentioned dropping my bike on video, I would have a slight whimper.
shredex
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by shredex »

Made myself a new camera mount for my bike.
it mounts the the tank cap like the second one I made, but this one is all aluminum and isnt adjustable like the last one.
I got some night riding vids in...it was about 30 degrees out again so I was driving like a maniac.

I will post pics and vids monday when I can get my laptop.
match417
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by match417 »

i just read your first post in this thread and you were talking about maybe putting the entire 04 - 06 harness on your bike, that would be really hard to do, if it's even possible, out of curiosity, why would you want to? Why not use the entire harness from the first gen R1, it was carb'd, or just do like me whenever I get the money and put the YZF600 harness on.
check out my car and bike projects on http://youtube.com/match417
shredex
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by shredex »

match417 wrote:i just read your first post in this thread and you were talking about maybe putting the entire 04 - 06 harness on your bike, that would be really hard to do, if it's even possible, out of curiosity, why would you want to? Why not use the entire harness from the first gen R1, it was carb'd, or just do like me whenever I get the money and put the YZF600 harness on.
yes, it would be very hard to do.
The cdi re-wiring would be the hardest
The reason I said 04-06 r1 is because everything else is 04-06r1.
and if I ever come across a cheap 04-06 r1 frame and motor, then I can swap everything over and have an r1!
im going to be using the 04-06 r1 headlight harness which has the guage plug on it and two relays.

when I said "Maybe" is was a BIG 'maybe'

I also said I might do a FI conversion....and the r1 harness has throttle body plugs...lol
shredex
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by shredex »

new camera mount
didnt have enough aluminum to stretch further around the cap

I have videos with it. but the shorter ones are at night and the one day time one is about 10 min. so no vids to upload for now.
haunter
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by haunter »

looks like the rear could use a lil lift a roo via some dogbones

great job so far dude