Project 44 - 400/YZF Hybrid SHE STARTED TODAY!!!!!!

Got a Yamazuki or a Yamonda? This section is for those who are a little more creative...

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

ragedigital
4000+ Posts
4000+ Posts

Re: Project 44 - China_racer_1's 400/YZF Hybrid

Post by ragedigital »

I love the look of that R6...

You have an opportunity that many will never get - thanks for sharing it with us!

darrin
Thanks for joining and participating in the most "active" FZR Community on the internet!
China_Racer_1
Level 5.0
Level 5.0

Post by China_Racer_1 »

Well as you may know have the FZR400/yzf600 hybrid build going on. But I also have a 400 semi hybrid build going on at the same time.

Basically all the parts that I am not using on tehe YZF build I am using on the 400 build.

The 400 has the R-1 front end on it for now. I might swap out with the yzf build later just to try and see what works better the 2006 R-6 with radial brakes or the older 2003 R-1 front end.

I fitted up the body work today and did a bit of a mock up. Need to tweek a few areas but basically its where it needs to be for now until i am ready to mount it on the frame.

I am going to wait until the 600 is 100% before I do this though.

I still lack a few basic items for the 400 build but I will get those parts later on next month.

This bike will bast a carbon fiber front fender, solo seat and tank cover like the YZF project as well. They should be in, in a few weeks from what OYA Carbon has told me.

Can't wait to have the both of these painted up, matched with our team leathers and sitting side by side on the grid......Ok maybe the 400 will be a few spots behind the 600 on the starting grid but out there together just the same.

Enjoy the pics

From the rear. I used a TZR solo seat to mock up the front fairings position to center it. It will have my design Carbon seat later this month.

Spare engine in the back ground. You may notice I have the stock 18 rim on there. I am looking for a 17" TZR rim here now to replace it.

The fairing is for a 2007 ZX 6Rr. It hugs the FZR body parts pretyt well and I only had to cut out for the larger radiator I put in to make it basiclly fit. A few other trim areas but not enough to worry about. Nothing difficult.

I will have a little more room when I tighten things up but the front wheel clears Ok.
I pan to cut a few vents into the lower triangle part a bit. Still keep the oil retentin capability but add a few vents to get some air flowing on the header area.

Needing to cut in a little more toe room for the rear brake... though I never touch it on the track Its nice to have for off track excursions... shit happens

Levers are just flopping down now but once in place they will fit in the pocket here nicely.

A bit of a top view showing fitment of the 2007 ZX 600RR Kawi fairing to the 1986 Yamaha FZR400 frame.
ragedigital
4000+ Posts
4000+ Posts

Post by ragedigital »

I'm sure Uli is gonna love another one of your projects... lol

Looks great!

darrin
Thanks for joining and participating in the most "active" FZR Community on the internet!
China_Racer_1
Level 5.0
Level 5.0

Post by China_Racer_1 »

Actually Uli knows about this one. He just needs to weld up the subframe and get the faring mounts installed on this one. The rest I have already finished.
haunter
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by haunter »

awesome
China_Racer_1
Level 5.0
Level 5.0

Post by China_Racer_1 »

Quick update
Uli and I have been building the new shop and had a few hours the other day to go over each bike and figure out what needs what.

The 400 is only waiting for the 2mm overbore piston/cylinder set from Wiseco. other than that she is about ready. It's a bit street fightered looking but made for the track. a new battery and a new sub frame and she is good to go.

the 600 needs the body work fit up, the rear wheel aligned (Will do that tomorrow) and then she is ready to start up and break in. Not sure when the 2mm over bore piston/cylinder set from Wiseco will be ready for it but soon from what I am told.

Have been at the track with Wiseco today and will be there tomorrow getting our future lined up.

I will get some detailed pics of the bikes in a day maybe two. I will be working at the machine shop a lot tomorrow after I talk to Wiseco.
China_Racer_1
Level 5.0
Level 5.0

Post by China_Racer_1 »

Here is a piece Uli made for my brake stay. I am using a F3 wheel in a 3TJ frame and using the stock Honda caliper so its not an easy fit.

But Uli made this simple piece to keep the caliper in place.

It attaches to the original 3TJ stay bolt mount thingy.

Here is the bike to date rear and side view. I have since added the rear sets and we are getting reay to install the exhaust, muffler mounting bracket and fairings to get an idea of what we want for fairing mounting brackets to be made.

We found a place about 50 KM from here that will water cut out parts for us.

Not cheap but cheap by USA standards.

Now that I am back from vacation I will have a bit of time to fnish the bikes up.

I got everything I need except a few cables a sprocket and a front sprocket cover. The 400 cc bike only needs a batery box installed adjustment to the seat and the harness installed with a fresh battery fuel and plugs. Not much left and she is ready to race.

Its hard to do much of anything in this heat. Its about 105 degrees and is 85% - 90% humidity. Frigin sauna hre right now. swetting, like a whore in church, when I am trying to work on the bike.
China_Racer_1
Level 5.0
Level 5.0

Post by China_Racer_1 »

Well the Devil is in the details. So today we worked on all the little clips and holders and stays and small bullshit we had been putting off.

I posted the below on another thread but felt it belonged here to keep up with her progress.

I worked on the placement of the Accel coils today. A heat shield plate over the engine which will still allow for the velocity stacks to poke through will be a winter project.

GP shift set up for the Rear sets I made for the bike. (and a few others on the site). I found the trick is to get a low profile head on the bolt that links the shift rod to the lever at the peg side. Then it will not interfere with the heel guard

A back end view. The fox Twin Clicker mounted up. Aluminum tube sub frame which will be covered by a modified TZR seat in Carbon Fiber.

I used a Hindle exhaust header and mid pipe. I had to cut the top of the pipes where they fit into the exhaust ports so it would not sit so low as it was. Its sucked uptight enough now. I have an old beat up Vance and Hines can coming that I will cut up for a shorter can and re-due the out side sleeve to get her a bit better looking that at present.

Worked on a few plumbing issues and got measurements for mounting brackets for the battery, 636 radiator, gauges, steering dampener etc.. A lot of the parts will be water cut by a shop w found near the track (90 Kilometers away)

This is pretty much where she is right now. I anticipate about 3 weeks before she is running and I am breaking her in. I have a few more parts to make yet and have to rely on outside vendors so no telling how fast or slow they will be.

taken with my I-phone camera - the 400 Fighter I made out of spare parts and left overs from the FZR400/YZF build. It's about ready to start up now. just need t go get a few bolts over the weekend and tighten her up.

More Updates as they happen. Early next week I possibly have a chance to work on it more.

Steve
ragedigital
4000+ Posts
4000+ Posts

Post by ragedigital »

I love pics and you always do such a good job.

So glad to see you keeping the FZR alive and looking so good!

darrin
Genesis
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by Genesis »

I would like to see how you mount your Radiator, I've come up with a couple of ideas, But they are ether Backyard mechanic or over engineered.
1990 Yamaha FZR600 Genesis, Daily Driver
My FZR6 Rebuild

1985 GMC 4x4 T-15 X-Cab Sierra
1999 Chevy 4x4 Blazer (wifes car)

"If a man can build it, I can take it apart and sometimes even put it back together and fix it" --Unknown

"'I wish none of this had happened.' 'So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.....'" J.R.R. Tolkien
reelrazor
Wrench
Wrench

Post by reelrazor »

Is this the one with my dogbones on it, Steve?
http://www.michiganmobileservice.com/

“A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.”-Douglas Adams

http://www.youtube.com/user/reelrazor
China_Racer_1
Level 5.0
Level 5.0

Post by China_Racer_1 »

Genesis wrote:I would like to see how you mount your Radiator, I've come up with a couple of ideas, But they are ether Backyard mechanic or over engineered.
Ok then when I make the clips we drew up yesterday I will pass on pictures. When WE finish the drawing for the water cutter I can pass that on as well. We made a simple U shaped bracket for the top and a 'L' shaped Stay for on of the side (Rider left) I will take more pis as well for you.

I plan to do a complete write up on both the bikes when i am 100% done with tons of pics
China_Racer_1
Level 5.0
Level 5.0

Post by China_Racer_1 »

reelrazor wrote:Is this the one with my dogbones on it, Steve?
Correct the 6o0cc that is pictured on the bike lift has your dogbonz installed. Actually I put them where you suggested adn cranked them a bit on one direction or another a few time to see where the ass end was and then settled on a mark.

I would share what the distance from eye to eye is if knew I will have to go look. I see that many are concerned about how strong your design is or is not. After break in the new engine will have this bike on two separate tracks a high speed F1 rack as well s a local grueling 14 turn tight track. both have their own issues but the short one will put it through the paces. if they do not brake there with all the bums and gyrations and they hold out under the high speed to full on heavy braking at the end of the 180 mph straight to a hairpin right hand then I would think they would pass the test.

But I can say that the adjust-ability is a 100% plus for me. I built the sub frame got everything set and when I took it off the jack stand i saw I needed to get the ass end u of the rear wheel (Well it was too close for my liking anyway) I made an adjustment, saw how much turning made as far as a response in ride height then made a second and final adjustment. i walked away with the as end right where I wanted it in short time. Easy fix and an easy way to play with the rear ends ride height.

I am sure I will use these when going from the short track to the sweeping corners of the F1 track also.
reelrazor
Wrench
Wrench

Post by reelrazor »

Thanks Steve.

I am not too worried about the strength. I've had mine off, the initial pair, and had them inspected by our shop's CWI a couple times...and now have 8 or 9 thousand miles on them. Been using the same wire/machine/hardware for all the sets since then.

The roads around here can be/are fun...but they aren't all in very good shape. One of my favorite loops is very very choppy...and has a lot of crests...I've been airborne a number of times and had exit wheelspin going on over potholes countless times
http://www.michiganmobileservice.com/

“A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.”-Douglas Adams

http://www.youtube.com/user/reelrazor
Genesis
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by Genesis »

China_Racer_1 wrote:
Genesis wrote:I would like to see how you mount your Radiator, I've come up with a couple of ideas, But they are ether Backyard mechanic or over engineered.
Ok then when I make the clips we drew up yesterday I will pass on pictures. When WE finish the drawing for the water cutter I can pass that on as well. We made a simple U shaped bracket for the top and a 'L' shaped Stay for on of the side (Rider left) I will take more pis as well for you.

I plan to do a complete write up on both the bikes when i am 100% done with tons of pics
cool thanks, I was thinking about the U bracket for the top as well
1990 Yamaha FZR600 Genesis, Daily Driver
My FZR6 Rebuild

1985 GMC 4x4 T-15 X-Cab Sierra
1999 Chevy 4x4 Blazer (wifes car)

"If a man can build it, I can take it apart and sometimes even put it back together and fix it" --Unknown

"'I wish none of this had happened.' 'So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.....'" J.R.R. Tolkien