Project Freestyle

Got a Yamazuki or a Yamonda? This section is for those who are a little more creative...

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

Freestyle72
Level 4.0
Level 4.0

Re: Project Freestyle

Post by Freestyle72 »

A pivot bolt spacer sleeve is being made up for me right now. At VDM Machining in London. The owner is a Harley rider but was super cool. Machined a bunch of harley stuff for himself and has it all over the place. He seemed happy to see motorcycle parts. Gunna pick those parts up tommorow morning. Only thing left to do now if visit Tony at Bluestreakracing.ca about a new chain. That and I can button her back up.

Did I mention I bought SS lines front and back? very excited about those as well.

Also last night I was test fitting the YZF600 tank on there. Man it looks sweet but I had forgotten that I have to mod the airbox, so now I have to sort that out.
Freestyle72
Level 4.0
Level 4.0

Post by Freestyle72 »

Ok today was action packed but I am being held up because I gotta search for my ZX6R front sprocket. Fortunately I have a ZX6R I was going to put a 14T front sprocket on but I am gunna put it on the FZR instead. But I can't find the god damn thing, even though it was in my face for months sitting in my room.

On with the pictures and doings of today:
Finally got the spacers made and man am I ever pleased with them. The machinist was a super cool guy. Cost me $10 each sleeve spacer. The spacer is second from the left. I had two made but I am illustrating with one in this pic. Farthest left we have the bearing inner race, third from left we have the inner pivot tube spacer that keeps the inner races from falling inside. And to the farther right we have the FZR pivot axle. Specs on the spacer btw is 25mm OD 16mm ID and 48mm long

They go together quite nicely.

Here they are in the swing arm, like pees in a pod

Then here is the view from the other side without inner race and such

Here we are with spacer in on both sides

Test fit swingarm in the bike

Wheel in for a quick look

Rear shock is back in

Rear wheel on now for the intention of spracket alignment

Threw the old chain on there to help me see my alignment

Final rearview pic

Now off I go to find that damn ninja sprocket, and prolly gunna buy a socket to remove the sprocket. Damn thing is like 32mm or something.
Freestyle72
Level 4.0
Level 4.0

Post by Freestyle72 »

Found it!

Freestyle72
Level 4.0
Level 4.0

Post by Freestyle72 »

Ninja sprocket on up front

Modking's hydraulic clutch is in the way of the chain. I am going to need to go back to clutch cables unless one of you guys has an idea. Also I am not even sure what it looked like with clutch cables... But my GSXR front end has cable stuff so I rather switchback anyway.

In the words of Spyder "Damn I am good"

Modking clutch cylinder off... seriously how do I convert back to clutch cables????
Genesis
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by Genesis »

My next Mod is Forks and Swing Arm. that looks damn good, wonder if you could do the same thing with a 600 frame
Last edited by Genesis on Tue May 04, 2010 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1990 Yamaha FZR600 Genesis, Daily Driver
My FZR6 Rebuild

1985 GMC 4x4 T-15 X-Cab Sierra
1999 Chevy 4x4 Blazer (wifes car)

"If a man can build it, I can take it apart and sometimes even put it back together and fix it" --Unknown

"'I wish none of this had happened.' 'So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.....'" J.R.R. Tolkien
Freestyle72
Level 4.0
Level 4.0

Post by Freestyle72 »

Genesis wrote:My next Mod is Forks and Swing Arm. that looks damn good, wonder if you could do the same thing with a 600 frame
600 Frame should be the exact same process. I am actually thinking now that I want to get a GSXR600 swingarm instead due to it being lighter. Also the bracing might interfere with the left side passenger peg at full compression I haven't tested it out yet, but it looks like it's in the same line of travel.

Anyways I am kind of stuck at this point I am thinking I want to go to clutch cable shifting instead of hydraulic. Either that or have the hydraulic shifter thing machined out to accomodate the chain.
Freestyle72
Level 4.0
Level 4.0

Post by Freestyle72 »

Took the bike off the stands to let it sag and such. And man am I in love with how it looks/feels. The wheel base is now 56" dead on... just measured using a measuring tape from center of each axel. Stock FZR400 wheelbase is 55.1". I think when I adjust the axel a little bit I can get the wheelbase down to about .7" over only.

Picture time. I am very pleased with the product. We'll see how she handles.

haunter
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by haunter »

love your ideas and what you are doing

just wish I had a ratty FZR400 to trade you so I could keep yours :D
Freestyle72
Level 4.0
Level 4.0

Post by Freestyle72 »

I was going to have aluminum shock mount made, but after talking to my welder and machinist I decided the weight savings there weren't worth it. I ground out the spot welds holding the subframe to the shock mount and weighed the shock mount, it was only 2.2lbs. So an aluminum would would have to be beefier to have the same strenght and would have probably ended up being in 1-1.5lbs... not really enough weight savings to spend ~$150 for...

terrible I am sorry... this shows the subframe spot welds ground out.

shock mount mount

Shock mount back in frame just checking it out etc.

Freestyle72
Level 4.0
Level 4.0

Post by Freestyle72 »

Ordered a YZF600 airbox. Which I don't know why the P/O never did because it has YZF600 carbs, which he then cut the bottom of a yzf600 airbox out and fiberglassed it to the bottom of the FZR airbox. Anyways replacing the whole unit so it clears the yzf tank more easily. But can anyone confirm that installing this airbox in the stock location will clear the tank for sure? Or will i have to chop more? The reason I ask is because I want to get the tank mounts done so I can get my subframe mounts done. Because the new airbox won't arrive here for at least a week.

Anyways today I have to work out the angles for the R6 tail, which is kind of hard to do because I am working with the subframe only and don't have the tail plastics to do so. But I have thought out quite and elegant solution to the actual mounting points I'll get pics of it up later.

My bearing should be getting here today or tommorow if customs aren't being douche bags about it. And I am converting back to cable clutch instead of the hydraulic set-up.

I also got a ton of wiring cleanup to do. I am actually almost scared to tackle the mess because she probably won't start afterward ahaha. And there was so much shit shoved into the old subframe I have no idea where I am going to mount it all. Luckily there is soom room between the engine and the lower section of the the tank that I think will do quite nicely.

Also going to go with a smaller lightweight battery of the lifepo4 variety. They only weigh 1.5 lbs and they don't need to be trickle charged.
Freestyle72
Level 4.0
Level 4.0

Post by Freestyle72 »

So I was having some issues getting the alignment/mounting of my subframe the way I wanted. So after a little bit of massaging I got my R6 subframe to fit the correct way. And now the subframe bolt's right in.

Thanks to TK and Sweeky for giving motivation/advice.
thatkid

Post by thatkid »

Very nice work, you've obviously done your homework.

Now @ the risk of offending you, which is not my intention.

You did remove the battery, (i see it sitting there, close to the shock mount) before you let loose with the grinder? batteries emit hydrogen gas, grinder = lots of sparks, hydrogen + sparks = explosion @ battery, battery acid is not nice, burns everything especially skin. also when welding the shock mount back into position if your using mig or any electric welder (sparks yes) if the battery and VR are connected (i saw it connected in a photo) it's possible you will fry the VR, disconnect them both.

just looking out for ya. no offence intended.
Freestyle72
Level 4.0
Level 4.0

Post by Freestyle72 »

mawler wrote:Very nice work, you've obviously done your homework.

Now @ the risk of offending you, which is not my intention.

You did remove the battery, (i see it sitting there, close to the shock mount) before you let loose with the grinder? batteries emit hydrogen gas, grinder = lots of sparks, hydrogen + sparks = explosion @ battery, battery acid is not nice, burns everything especially skin. also when welding the shock mount back into position if your using mig or any electric welder (sparks yes) if the battery and VR are connected (i saw it connected in a photo) it's possible you will fry the VR, disconnect them both.

just looking out for ya. no offence intended.
No offence taken what so ever. The subframe was off the bike as the FZR400 subframe unbolt from the frame. So I was no where near the battery. And the battery was removed shortly after. No work was done near the battery. And I truely appreciate your concern.
Freestyle72
Level 4.0
Level 4.0

Post by Freestyle72 »

Just a small update. Still waiting on bearing from the Zoran.

Anyways I been fiddling with the tail/tank orientation trying to make it look like an OEM fit. I think I have arrived at a satisfactory fit. So I can now have my welder weld me something up. Going to unstaple the seat and do some very slight trimming to get a cleaner fit.

Pulled all the wiring off the motor because it's a god damn mess so I am going to be going through that in my down time waiting for that bearing.

Also I was fiddling with the ignition and noticed the 05/06 gsxr1k trippled very conveniently are centered very much like the FZRs... even more conveniently the holes for the ignition lock mount exactly where the FZRs do. And if I am lucky with the offset of the ignition lock spot I may get to keep my steering lock.

Genesis
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by Genesis »

Freestyle72 wrote:Also I was fiddling with the ignition and noticed the 05/06 gsxr1k trippled very conveniently are centered very much like the FZRs... even more conveniently the holes for the ignition lock mount exactly where the FZRs do. And if I am lucky with the offset of the ignition lock spot I may get to keep my steering lock.
good to know
1990 Yamaha FZR600 Genesis, Daily Driver
My FZR6 Rebuild

1985 GMC 4x4 T-15 X-Cab Sierra
1999 Chevy 4x4 Blazer (wifes car)

"If a man can build it, I can take it apart and sometimes even put it back together and fix it" --Unknown

"'I wish none of this had happened.' 'So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.....'" J.R.R. Tolkien