HOW TO:build a hybrid yzf/fzr airbox without cutting it up

Got a Yamazuki or a Yamonda? This section is for those who are a little more creative...

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Re: HOW TO:build a hybrid yzf/fzr airbox without cutting it up

Post by yamaha_george »

shredex wrote:OR, you can get pods :whistle
lol, but if you have half a yzf airbox lying around along with a cutting board then your good to go!
Shred,
I seem to remember you & a lot of others bitching about tuning with just pods.
I also seem to remember posting the fix for just pods

However the guy has done some VERY worthwhile work here and when I get back UK side I will edit it so the pics go with the write up acbit more integrated and you will all be good to go.
Genesis
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by Genesis »

I have pics btw, just don't have them uploaded I also have some recomendations.
1990 Yamaha FZR600 Genesis, Daily Driver
My FZR6 Rebuild

1985 GMC 4x4 T-15 X-Cab Sierra
1999 Chevy 4x4 Blazer (wifes car)

"If a man can build it, I can take it apart and sometimes even put it back together and fix it" --Unknown

"'I wish none of this had happened.' 'So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.....'" J.R.R. Tolkien
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

Genesis wrote:I have pics btw, just don't have them uploaded I also have some recomendations.

G,
since you need a written invitation :-} Please do post the extra pic s and the recommendations

Some one mentioned that with pods, you suck in warm air. All I can say is you read the board here with your eyes shut and the brain in Idle.

There is one guy who posts kinda regular and his sig contains a piccy of his bike with pods and he shows how his do NOT breathe in warm air.

Any one else awake enough to tell me who ?

As for the idea of this two halves of different model box being restrictive , if you know that you also know the answer,

so write it up !

for those of the board who are less knowldgeble..
DonTZ125

Post by DonTZ125 »

I believe that's ModKing...
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

DonTZ125 wrote:I believe that's ModKing...
I believe you are CORRECT :udaman
Aivars
Site Newbie

Post by Aivars »

So could anyone plz answer me- will that yzf600/fzr600 airbox work properly without any other mods? I mean 'plug&play'? coz im having problems with cutting the 3he airbox, and ill do that hybrid one, if it will work good :)
Genesis
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by Genesis »

Aivars wrote:So could anyone plz answer me- will that yzf600/fzr600 airbox work properly without any other mods? I mean 'plug&play'? coz im having problems with cutting the 3he airbox, and ill do that hybrid one, if it will work good :)
the top half of the yzf600 airbox is slimmer than the fzr600 box. and it is not actually plug and play you still have to make a "adapter" plate
My FZR6 Rebuild

"If a man can build it, I can take it apart and sometimes even put it back together and fix it" --Unknown

"'I wish none of this had happened.' 'So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.....'" J.R.R. Tolkien
Aivars
Site Newbie

Post by Aivars »

Genesis wrote:
Aivars wrote:So could anyone plz answer me- will that yzf600/fzr600 airbox work properly without any other mods? I mean 'plug&play'? coz im having problems with cutting the 3he airbox, and ill do that hybrid one, if it will work good :)
the top half of the yzf600 airbox is slimmer than the fzr600 box. and it is not actually plug and play you still have to make a "adapter" plate
Yes, i know that :) But will the bike work properly? I mean without any cutting ect ect? couse ive cut the 3he airbox and ive got a problem with the engine- bike will not accelerate to max rpm, he accelerates to about 3k rmp and then he is acting like hes got a cough :) sorry for my english ;)
Genesis
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by Genesis »

have not had mine on yet, I will post up when I do thought I am getting real close just have to come up with something for the gas pump.
My FZR6 Rebuild

Aivars
Site Newbie

Post by Aivars »

anyone have that hybrid airbox on? is it working? :)
NAKED&LOUD518
Site Newbie

Post by NAKED&LOUD518 »

I was led to believe an fzr 400 top would also work.

I just finished chopping my stock air box up.I'm gonna write something up as soon as I get to a desktop.have pics an everything ready too go.

Kept all the pieces so I can basically do a cut away view with measurements.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk
Genesis
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Re: Re:

Post by Genesis »

NAKED&LOUD518 wrote:I was led to believe an fzr 400 top would also work.
the difference is the 400 sets further forward than the 600 but the height is the same. There were some pictures in my thread, I will have to see if I can find them.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2
My FZR6 Rebuild

Mikey
Site Newbie

Re:

Post by Mikey »

NAKED&LOUD518 wrote:I was led to believe an fzr 400 top would also work.

I just finished chopping my stock air box up.I'm gonna write something up as soon as I get to a desktop.have pics an everything ready too go.

Kept all the pieces so I can basically do a cut away view with measurements.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk
I also chopped my airbox up, I found this a great help viewtopic.php?f=30&t=6284
NAKED&LOUD518
Site Newbie

Re: HOW TO:build a hybrid yzf/fzr airbox without cutting it

Post by NAKED&LOUD518 »

i cut an duct taped mine.bike ran fine with it on.30 degree december NY weather though.so it wasnt starving for cold air,an thats why the test didnt tell me much.but it did run through all revs without,ith no fumble.which i will take as a great sign.

i also have the round k and n drop in filter,the vented cap for the filter was off,bike was already warm,and dry cold weather all could have made for a richer fuel 2 air.an my bike seemed to run lean before i started,so a rejet for the smaller box might be needed.