The FZ-R1 project Update:10/8/14

Got a Yamazuki or a Yamonda? This section is for those who are a little more creative...

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

shredex
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Re: The FZ-R1 project (lots of pictures)

Post by shredex »

95FZR600 wrote:Is there any room for it on the side of the tail? Where it can be hidden? I used a brake bottle and plastic welded a tip on it. Been working for over a year now.
it would have to be a really tiny bottle, because the exaust takes up ALOT of the side space.

I dont even know if my overflow is working properly.

there is never any liquid in the thing.

there will be a tiny tiny bit in there sometimes after riding.

there is a level indicator on the side of the overflow and Im not sure if I should be putting water in that until it fills to the line...
shredex
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by shredex »

95FZR600 wrote:Thats weird. Mine never has any in it either. And its really hot where we live and my bike never over heats.
same here lol...

its almost like "whats the point?"

if you get a long enough hose then you can just curl it up and that can be the overflow.
cad600
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Post by cad600 »

I'm running an overflow from a Yamaha Quad. But then again I'm using a large tail with no bitch seat, so it fits.

I've seen some people use small metal bottles as overflows. Something similar to a white gas container you use for a camping stove with the hose epoxied into it. Then it is just strapped to the engine down tube inside the fairing.
Yes, that is a Single Sided Swingarm FZR600 that I built.

Something is lurking, waiting, wanting to be built......It calls to me from the darkness....

I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel....Then I realize that it is the train coming to run my ass over....
shredex
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by shredex »

cad600 wrote:I'm running an overflow from a Yamaha Quad. But then again I'm using a large tail with no bitch seat, so it fits.

I've seen some people use small metal bottles as overflows. Something similar to a white gas container you use for a camping stove with the hose epoxied into it. Then it is just strapped to the engine down tube inside the fairing.

whats that other tiny relay for??

and where is your TCI?

and I see you were the only one smart enough to get the actually plug for the VR instead of getting little connectors for each individual wires...lol
cad600
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Post by cad600 »

The silver plate is the CDI. It's a V&H PowerPak so it is metal not plastic and will be for sale very soon. The tiny little relay is not a relay. On the '89 and '90, the main fuse was separate from the other fuses. That is what it is.
Your bike dont run!

But when I'm done, I'll have 105hp not 80.

Something is lurking, waiting, wanting to be built......It calls to me from the darkness....

I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel....Then I realize that it is the train coming to run my ass over....
shredex
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by shredex »

cad600 wrote:The silver plate is the CDI. It's a V&H PowerPak so it is metal not plastic and will be for sale very soon. The tiny little relay is not a relay. On the '89 and '90, the main fuse was separate from the other fuses. That is what it is.

mine is seperate too...I just dont have the cap for mine so I didnt know what it looked like

how much you gonna sell the powerpack for?
cad600
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Post by cad600 »

shredex wrote:
cad600 wrote:The silver plate is the CDI. It's a V&H PowerPak so it is metal not plastic and will be for sale very soon. The tiny little relay is not a relay. On the '89 and '90, the main fuse was separate from the other fuses. That is what it is.

mine is seperate too...I just dont have the cap for mine so I didnt know what it looked like

how much you gonna sell the powerpack for?
Not sure yet. I just want enough to cover the cost of the replacement one I need to run the 660 motor. I guess when I order it I'll know how much I want for the V&H.

shredex
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by shredex »

95FZR600 wrote:It retails for $600. I think you should get at least $500. J/K.

I should of kept it when it was on my bike.

lol, isnt that what that one dude was trying to get for his??
shredex
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by shredex »

Today I made the most progress on my bike ever...

I almost finished making the mounts for my plastics...right now there is only two things im using zip ties for...

The fzr bottom frame is wider than the r1's bottom of the frame so I had to make a bracked for the front

now this is the only zip tied thing (the other side as well..)
I tucked the tip under the frame because it made it more stable and I dont want it to be EXACTLY like an r1

finally plastic welded the right side bracket on

rear mount...mounts with the frame side screw...

stay mounted up...
I need a 13/16" thick piece of aluminum for the spacing...in the pic Im using a piece of wood I cut...

now on to the left side...
I had to cut around the stator cover for it to fit...theres more to be done to this..

I need r1 mirriors..
everything is pretty dam stable too...I road it today...

then my camera died.....

also today!
I got my new BT014 150/60ZR18 rear tire installed! along with my 45t rear sprocket I got from dru!

I have to say, I love that tire!
I suggest it to anyone!
and its wider too!
its just beautiful!
I wish my batterys for my camera didnt die so I could show you it!
slayermd
Level 5.0
Level 5.0

Post by slayermd »

Sweetness!

Looks good!
megaloxana
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by megaloxana »

She's coming along nicely shred. wth did you cut the stator cover out with? some of those child safe scissors?
'92 FZR 600
Airtech R1 kit \*/ 520 conversion \*/ 14F-47R gearing
K&N pod filters \*/ Stage 3 jet kit \*/ Factory Pro shift kit \*/ Full V&H SS exhaust
Custom '02 R6 undertail \*/ YZF gas tank \*/ Raised via dogbones \*/ custom flush turnsignals
Full R6 brake set-up \*/ SS lines \*/ Progressive fork springs \*/ ZX2 coilpack

ADD YOURSELF TO THE OFFICIAL FZRONLINE GOOGLE EARTH MAP :bunny :banjoman
shredex
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by shredex »

megaloxana wrote:She's coming along nicely shred. wth did you cut the stator cover out with? some of those child safe scissors?

lol..no...I used a soldering iron...I melted threw it....
shredex
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by shredex »

I got my 02-03 R1 tank yesterday and put it on the bike to see how it would fit.
It fit pretty good.
Im not using the tank though.
this one has a dent that Im going to fix and paint then resell.
I bought it for $9 so I dont think it was bad...
I dont have any pics of course because my batteries are dead on my camera..

just letting you guys know...

and my upper tripple for the r1 forks will come soon. I still need the left clamp.

For my fork swap, Im going to try and use the r1 stem instead of pressing it out and having the fzr one pressed in and welded and stuff.
The r1 stem has the same diameter as the fzr stem so I dont really know how it wont work...maybe length
slayermd
Level 5.0
Level 5.0

Post by slayermd »

shredex wrote: For my fork swap, Im going to try and use the r1 stem instead of pressing it out and having the fzr one pressed in and welded and stuff.
The r1 stem has the same diameter as the fzr stem so I dont really know how it wont work...maybe length
Thats something to figure out and if it works would be awesome.

I will doing the threaded rod idea. I have the forks and wheel, just waiting on the upper triple and axle and then I can put everything on.
cad600
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Post by cad600 »

Shred - If the steering stem is anything like the one for the R6, it is too short. Also the bearings are a concern. The FZR uses tapered needle bearings that are different sizes (top vs. bottom) while the R6 and R1 use ball bearings that are the same size.