FZR600/YZF600/R6 Build

Got a Yamazuki or a Yamonda? This section is for those who are a little more creative...

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

Genesis
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Re: FZR600/YZF600/R6 Build Updated 7-29-09

Post by Genesis »

Hey all I know it hs been a while, But My bike got put on hold for a while, and I have not had much time to do anything on it.
Well my goal is to have it put back together by the end of the month, and the new freind I made will diffently help he did fiberglassing for a living and has normous welders at his disposal. so I should be able to get it whipped into shape.
1990 Yamaha FZR600 Genesis, Daily Driver
My FZR6 Rebuild

1985 GMC 4x4 T-15 X-Cab Sierra
1999 Chevy 4x4 Blazer (wifes car)

"If a man can build it, I can take it apart and sometimes even put it back together and fix it" --Unknown

"'I wish none of this had happened.' 'So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.....'" J.R.R. Tolkien
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

G,
I like your ingenuity on your rear stand, I made mine out of stainless steel tubing scrap.
One thing I noticed is that you are advertising the bike to be stolen as soon as it is finished !!! especially since you have stated you are leaving to go serve the country .

Take the picture of your number plate off the site or photoshop it until details are removed
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

G,
the idea of hot resistors and flammable plastic tape wrapped round them is not a very good idea put them on a metal bracket with air flow to keep them cool. use heat shrink tubing on the actual wires to stop shorting on the metal
Genesis
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by Genesis »

yamaha_george wrote:G,
I like your ingenuity on your rear stand, I made mine out of stainless steel tubing scrap.
One thing I noticed is that you are advertising the bike to be stolen as soon as it is finished !!! especially since you have stated you are leaving to go serve the country .

Take the picture of your number plate off the site or photoshop it until details are removed
yeah pretty Red neck bike lift.

I may not be going out of country, But it will be right next to my wife nice and secure.
Last edited by Genesis on Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
My FZR6 Rebuild

"If a man can build it, I can take it apart and sometimes even put it back together and fix it" --Unknown

"'I wish none of this had happened.' 'So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.....'" J.R.R. Tolkien
Genesis
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by Genesis »

yamaha_george wrote:G,
the idea of hot resistors and flammable plastic tape wrapped round them is not a very good idea put them on a metal bracket with air flow to keep them cool. use heat shrink tubing on the actual wires to stop shorting on the metal
I think that is actually what I ended up doing.
My FZR6 Rebuild

mrfreeze5
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by mrfreeze5 »

Im really interested to see how the R6 radiator works out. Id like to do something similar in the future.

Have you actually tested you LED blinkers out and they blink too fast? Or are you just trying to be preventative? I know some other people have had issues, but when I switched all my signals and lights over to LEDs, I never had the rapid blink problem, and didnt have to use the fancy heat-sinked resistors that I bought. So far this has happened to me on 2 FZRs, so theyre still sitting in the spare parts bin. You might not even need them. The build is looking good!
Genesis
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by Genesis »

mrfreeze5 wrote:Im really interested to see how the R6 radiator works out. Id like to do something similar in the future.

Have you actually tested you LED blinkers out and they blink too fast? Or are you just trying to be preventative? I know some other people have had issues, but when I switched all my signals and lights over to LEDs, I never had the rapid blink problem, and didnt have to use the fancy heat-sinked resistors that I bought. So far this has happened to me on 2 FZRs, so theyre still sitting in the spare parts bin. You might not even need them. The build is looking good!
I might not even be using LED's anymore I have some newer r6 lights and tail and since I "might" have to get it by inspection I will be staying oem, so the whole led setup might be up for sale.
My FZR6 Rebuild

Genesis
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by Genesis »

What are the R6 tail swap guys using to hold the battery tray? where the battery goes?
My FZR6 Rebuild

mrfreeze5
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by mrfreeze5 »

Genesis wrote:What are the R6 tail swap guys using to hold the battery tray? where the battery goes?
Subframe swap :D
mxryder21
Level 1.5
Level 1.5

Post by mxryder21 »

Genesis wrote:What are the R6 tail swap guys using to hold the battery tray? where the battery goes?
Haven't really got to that point yet but the way I chopped my fzr subframe left me the perfect amount of rail to weld some tabs and bolt the r6 undertray on either side of the battery... where all the weight is :grinnod: and yeah, thats in addition to the undertray being bolted in the stock spots on the r6 subframe.
1993 YZFZR61 ***UNDER CONSRUCTION***
Genesis
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by Genesis »

I guess I shouldv'e said doing the r6 tail swap with the fzr frame. :rofl:
My FZR6 Rebuild

Genesis
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by Genesis »

I did some work on the front r6 bird cage today
I started with this stock:

Tried spacers at first when I started this, was not happy with that:

Then I tried welding on a plate with. Was not really happy with how the upper was lining up.Image

I ended up buying one of these, it will allow me to more easily modify it and the fitment than the r6 OEM cast fairing bracket:

Modifying the mounting bracket on the bike and the female bracket on the steel bird cage.
My FZR6 Rebuild

Genesis
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Re: FZR600/YZF600/R6 Build Updated 03-19-2010

Post by Genesis »

I got the front upper mounted I just have to drill some holes and blot it on, As you wil see in the photos the handlebars clear the upper, this weekend a buddy and me are fabercating the passenger seat brackets, then it is just wiring, airbox (almost done just need to swap the 400 lower for the 600 lower, it pushes the airbox to forward) and exhaust, then riding RRBike :banana: I have the side fairings on right now but that was just to align the upper, they are coming off and getting plastex'd to fix a bunch of cracks and make the filler panels.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
My FZR6 Rebuild

shredex
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Re: FZR600/YZF600/R6 Build Updated 04-29-2010

Post by shredex »

glad to finally be seeing some progress coming along!
Looks awesome
Are you planning on upgrading the forks at all? USD's really do make a world of a difference. they also are shorter so the front is a little lower giving it more of a modern feel along with quick leaning
Genesis
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Re: FZR600/YZF600/R6 Build Updated 04-29-2010

Post by Genesis »

shredex wrote:glad to finally be seeing some progress coming along!
Looks awesome
Are you planning on upgrading the forks at all? USD's really do make a world of a difference. they also are shorter so the front is a little lower giving it more of a modern feel along with quick leaning
maybe later
My FZR6 Rebuild