resurecting the FZR400

Got a Yamazuki or a Yamonda? This section is for those who are a little more creative...

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

j200pruf
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

resurecting the FZR400

Post by j200pruf »

Thought I would keep track of my current progress on the FZR400/YZF600 hybrid.

So I dug my 1989 FR400 out of long term storage a couple weeks ago. I was sick and tired of not being able to mount the ECU far enough back under the seat as I wanted, and having to run the front part of the wiring harness between the middle of the carbs.

I am done with most of the wiring, thinking about moving the VR. I'm not sure about the main part of the harness because it sticks out, thinking it needs to be hidden better. ECU and the other electrical stuff are all just mounted on a piece of sheet metal, the other small bits are held down with sheet metal tabs that are secured to the main plate. It works, but it kind of seems janky. I think a similar idea using carbon fiber might be better. Don't mind the dirtiness :P Storage was just a covered area I setup under the deck, so I will have a lot of cleaning to do after everything is all finished.

After hacking up the wiring harness and putting it back together I test it out today. I was kind of worried it was going to have a short or broken wire, but as soon as I hooked up a battery and everything seems to power up without any blown fuses. Flipped the run switch to on and hit the starter, turned over without any problems. I filled up the cooling system and ran some new gas through the carbs and it fired right up (with a little starting fluid). Running kind of rough and didn't want to idle, but that is about what I figured after sitting around for so long. Got a quick video, wasn't running much of an exhaust.
http://s441.photobucket.com/albums/qq13 ... 21_832.mp4

Currently working on getting the YZF600 fairings mounted up, then after that I need to get them fixed. All good though Bmiller gave me a good deal on them. Main stay got welded a few days ago to address the fact that YZF600 mounts are a little offset. Radiator house is interfering with the left side, but I think I can get it moved with out too much hassle.

ImageImage
ImageImage

I still have a bunch of work to do but, I think I might have it all done before summer is completely over.

Hopefully my buddy Dean will help me get this in as well :headbang:

Last edited by j200pruf on Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
j200pruf
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Re: resurecting the FZR400

Post by j200pruf »

I got some more progress on the tail, after taking some measurements and ended up with my first version of the rear mount. I ended up having to scrap it because I broke a drill bit off in the aluminum, oh well next time I have to remember to use cutting oil and go slower when hand drilling into aluminum

Image Image

It least got me close enough to design the next version of the mount. Based off what I came up with my good friend Dean cut this up.

I haven't had a chance to try the second version out, but I did mock up the tail tonight with my first version. They aren't be best quality, took them on my cell phone.

Image Image Image Image

Last pic shows the dent that my new tank picked up while it was shipped, oh well not huge and I got it for really cheap. Once I get the front mount done I will get some more pictures up.
j200pruf
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by j200pruf »

OK, so I found a set of FZR400 bodywork for cheap so I once again decided to change bodywork plans. Went to check if my FZR400 fairings would fit with my exhaust. Right off the bat I found the D&D YZF600 exhaust touched the lower on both sides :(

I remembered I have an old dented Yoshi FZR400 exhaust that we would try and fit. No go, header wanted to take up some of the same space the oil filter and YZF600 oil pan did. Various members pointed out that the FZR oil pan and pickup should be used since the engine sits at a different angle then it does in the YZF600, and that it would yeild some exhaust clearance. Success :D The exhaust barley touches the oil pan. I think that can easily be solved by grinding the offending fin from the oil pan or maybe bending the exhaust a little bit. How much clearance should I be looking for between the collector and the oil pan?

Still have an issue with the oil filter contacting the outer exhaust pipes. I had a bright idea to try the FZR400 cartridge oil filter hosing, this will not work... My other 2 ideas are this just remove the oil cooler completely and use an adapter fitting and just bolt the oil filter directly to the engine. If I go down this road I think an upgraded radiator would be useful. Currently have a YZF600 rad, maybe step up to a ZX6r or similar curved unit. Some have thought this would be a bad idea to ditch the oil cooler bonkonhead so I am looking into getting an oil cooler adapter, lines and cooler from an FZ600 and seeing if they are compatible. Anyone have an FZ600 and want to take some measurements for me IDK

ragedigital
4000+ Posts
4000+ Posts

Post by ragedigital »

Glad to see you documenting this build. Very exciting!!

I do believe that I used the YZF600 exhaust with my FZR400/YZF600 hybrid build. Don't remember any clearance issues.

Good luck!

Darrin
Thanks for joining and participating in the most "active" FZR Community on the internet!
j200pruf
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by j200pruf »

Thanks Rage, I think at this point I am going for the longest FZR build ever :P If I had stayed with YZF600 bodywork I would have had no problems with the YZF600 headers, the mid pipe would have needed to be adjusted though.
ragedigital
4000+ Posts
4000+ Posts

Post by ragedigital »

I may have missed it, but is this going to be a "Track only" bike OR are you also going to ride it on the street?
Thanks for joining and participating in the most "active" FZR Community on the internet!
j200pruf
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by j200pruf »

I am going to put it on the street.
j200pruf
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by j200pruf »

So I measured up the flange on the YZF600 case.
Flange ID = 2.275" = 57.785mm
Flange OD = 2.945" = 74.803mm

So my optimum gasket diameter would be ~2.61" = 66.5mm.

So this just confirms that the FZR400/600 cartridge filter housing is too big, and the FZR600/YZF600 spin oil filters are too small. So far I haven't been able to find an oil filter with the correct gasket, filter, and thread dimensions. This process has been made harder then I would like because I can't search for US made filters by size, only application :yuck: . If someone has a cross reference I would greatly appreciate it :cheers:

Long run I would like to run an oil cooler, in the past it was suggested to use a FZ600 sandwich adapter for this. I think these will be too large to work correctly since they are a bolt in swap for the cartridge oil filters. If someone has a spare could you please measure the gasket diameter, total width, and thickness? I would like to find out if I can use it before dropping money on one. Aftermarket adapters may be an option as well, although it looks like most on the market are too think.

I saw this post http://www.fzronline.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9287. I am thinking that plate flipped around, or a custom one might be an option as well.

Direct Oil Filter with no Adapter:

Baldwin B307, M20 x 1.5mm, Filter OD 3", Height 2.875",

Fram PH10959, M20 x 1.5mm, Filter OD 3.01", Height, 2.33", Gasket ID 2.48", Gasket OD 2.81", Bypass 14PSI

Fram PH3950, M20 x 1.5mm, Filter OD 3.66", Height 3.09:, Gasket ID 2.42", Gasket OD 2.8", Bypass 12PSI, ?? Maybe Too Long ??

Wix 57207, M20 x 1.5mm, Filter OD 3.071, Height 2.418, Gasket ID 2.430", Gasket OD 2.734, Bypass 8PSI, ?? Bypass is lower than stock ??

Wix 51831, M20 x 1.5mm, Filter OD 3.66, Height 3.141, Gasket ID 2.462", Gasket OD 2.834", Bypass 13-19PSI, ?? Maybe Too Large ??

NAPA 7207, M20 x 1.5mm, Filter OD 3.071", Height 2.418", Gasket ID 2.43", Gasket OD 2.734", Bypass 8PSI

Our Bypass Rating stock is ~14PSI, is there any issue if I were to use an 8PSI filter?
j200pruf
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by j200pruf »

Oil filter is sorted, have a few options to use a spin-on or cartridge filter.

Been working out a mount for the YZF6000 tank and came out with what I think will work.

Just took the sheet metal prototype and laid it out on some 1/8" 6061 Aluminum Plate.

Here we have the plate I cut out with my jigsaw, not quite done, still will have the front part of the plate cut back a bit to make room for the ECU, and VRR.

Here is the plate in place, YZF600 tank is going to give me more between the subframe and the rear of the tank so I am going to use this space to mount the VRR and ECU. Should be easier to do the wiring harness, and give me more room behind the battery and under the tail. Quick shot of the "rough draft" piece for the VRR and ECU Mount. I think that will provide enough airflow to cool the VRR. :headscratch:
Image Image

Lastly here is what I am working on for the rear tank/seat mount
j200pruf
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by j200pruf »

So I finally got some free time to work on the FZR after getting done with school, and squaring some stuff away on my new to me house.

First I picked up an awesome R6 shock mount kit from Thatkid. Quality is great, I would certainly recommend Nate to anyone. Quality is great, and his turn around was amazing too.

Next was the radiator mounts, these are just the cheap steel prototypes I made out of some galvanized steel. Next set will be some 0.064" aluminum plate

Image Image
pefrey
Level 5.5
Level 5.5

Post by pefrey »

Welcome back and congradulations on finishing school. Now get to work.