My 89 FZR400 re-restoration 2016

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

SubyRS
Site Newbie

My 89 FZR400 re-restoration 2016

Post by SubyRS »

Here's an update to my 89 FZR400 restoration that originally was done in 2007/2008.
The photo in my sig was taken when I first rolled it out of the garage in 2008 after on e year of restoration including all new OEM parts like brake discs, all rubber parts, hoses and joints, both seats, fox racing shock, some body panels, and metal refinishing of all exterior parts, engine paint, exhaust paint and all large list of other items I can't remember. : )

I snagged a hard to find new left OEM body panel a month ago, which started a new 2016 restoration update to the bike to give it a new look without sacrificing my goal (IMO) to keep it as OEM as possible.
I found new sport tires in Ireland, cool FZR "rim trim" in Scotland, the left lower cowl in New York, and super gloss powder coating from Wheel Works in Garden Grove, CA a few miles from where I live in California. I sanded and recoated the muffler and headers in satin black. I also sanded and painted all the plastic body work interiors with satin black, to give the bike a nice finished look inside as well as outside. It always bugged me how all the interior except for the upper cowl was left unfinished from Yamaha. I am now in the hunt for new OEM black mirrors from the '90' model FZR. Found the left, need the right. it will show up eventually. It took 8 years for the left lower cowl to show up. : ))
Last edited by SubyRS on Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My 1989 FZR400 (restored)
djalbin
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Re: My 89 FZR400 re-restoration 2016

Post by djalbin »

Really nice restoration. It's amazing how far you have to go to find parts for these bikes. Have fun riding it.
Don
1994 FZR1000
Tucson, AZ
Nathan
Site Newbie

Post by Nathan »

wow amazing!
looks like brand new , have fun its a beauty , drive safe .
:tks:
bsgesch
Site Newbie

Post by bsgesch »

Really nice and dedicated work. Like the black finish on the inside of the fairings, nice finish detail. Well done.
Gotta run, I have to swing by the liquor store and Starbucks before my AA meeting.....
TomcatMJ
Level 2.5
Level 2.5

Post by TomcatMJ »

Looks like the photos here also became victims of photobucket-commercializing .. :deadhorse: :|
"The social dynamics of the net are a direct consequence of the fact that nobody has yet developed a Remote Strangulation Protocol." -- Larry Wall
Want Pics? Then have a look at my galleries...different topics: Bike and Car restauration, exhibitions, Trackdays (no, not me on the Track until now), carneval in cologne, other things.. ;)
SubyRS
Site Newbie

Post by SubyRS »

I made the switch to Imgur slowly but surely.

My 1989 FZR400 (restored)