Charging Issues on FZR 600

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

MooseMan1412
Site Newbie

Charging Issues on FZR 600

Post by MooseMan1412 »

Hey All,
So my 97 FZR600 decided it didn't want to start yesterday. I followed a buddy of mines directions in diagnosis of the charging system. I hooked a multi-meter up to the battery and jumped it to get it running. Multi-meter fluctuated between 8.1 - 12.5 V, so I am assuming the stator is shot, which killed my battery. Basically what I need advice on is the possibility of the rectifier/regulator being bad also as I have heard that it is a possible to replace the stator and if the R/R is bad it can take out a new stator, and I really don't want to spend the money on a new stator and have it get toasted right away. Is there a way to find out or am I just better of replacing the stator and R/R at the same time. Also if someone has performed this repair previously, I attempted to remove the stator cover but realized the cable runs through two metal brackets that hold the stator cable to the body/frame, what is the easiest way to remove those two brackets as there isn't much room in there to maneuver around in there, also where exactly does the stator cable plug into everything?? I am assuming up to the R/R which I believe is on the left side of the bike in the tail by the brake light?? If someone could confirm that for me. Does the stator cover need a gasket or sealant?? Any help anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated. Just got the bike, ran great for a while other than some misfire issues (cleaned carbs/new fuel/Sea Foam and new plugs took care of that, as bike sat for 1 1/2 years in storage) This is my first bike, I have mechanical skills, just everything on a bike is a little different than a car/truck!?!?!? Sorry for the long post and the multiple questions, thanks for any help provided.
1997 Yamaha FZR-600R (Stock)
V&H SSR2 Muffler
MooseMan1412
Site Newbie

Re: Charging Issues on FZR 600

Post by MooseMan1412 »

Searching all the posts, I found the flowchart for a complete charging system test, will do that this weekend, still pretty sure I need a stator though so if anyone has answers from previous post, would still like to hear them.
V&H SSR2 Muffler
DonTZ125

Post by DonTZ125 »

Hiya, Moose!

The VRR is far more likely to fail than the stator, but a failed-low VRR won't damage anything. A failed-HIGH VRR will cook everything in sight, but you'd be reading >>14.5vdc, not 12. The 8v is surprising, since I wouldn't have thought that enough to charge the coils! Check your multimeter; we've had a few members embarrassed by silly reading from DMMs with flat batteries.

The VRR is the thing with all the fins up behind your left seat cover; with a '97, you got the upgraded model. Check the resistance of the black wire to the battery -ve terminal; a bad ground path is THE killer of the type of VRR.

The stator cover is 'dry'; there is sometimes a gasket, but that's more to keep water out than oil etc in. It isn't really needed, unless you plan on fording some rivers.
Mikey
Site Newbie

Post by Mikey »

MooseMan1412 wrote: where exactly does the stator cable plug into everything?? I am assuming up to the R/R which I believe is on the left side of the bike in the tail by the brake light?? If someone could confirm that for me. Does the stator cover need a gasket or sealant?? Any help anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated.
The stator cable plugs into a 3 way connector below the fuel tank, which is known to burn/melt causing a high resistance and a poor charging rate. There's no gasket on the stator cover.

HTH
MooseMan1412
Site Newbie

Post by MooseMan1412 »

Thank you to all who posted. Fell like a fricken idiot though. I figured either way I smoked the battery, so after checking every place locally, finally found someone that had the battery I needed (even the local Yama-hammer dealer didn't stock it) (found it at Batteries Plus). Put the new battery in and re-ran all the tests - oh look - everything is now within spec??? So, I guess what I learnt is make sure you have a good battery before attempting any diagnosis. Has run for three days without a problem and still charging and holding good. Purchased a battery maintainer for the system, went to disconnect battery to install quick connect for maintainer - positive battery terminal snapped off the battery - YAY!!! So needless to say - took battery back and they warrantied it - now waiting for the replacement to come in as I took their last 12AL-A2 they had in stock. So, bike is down again, if an new developments arise I will be sure to let you guys know. Thanks again for everyone's help.
V&H SSR2 Muffler