oil

Any topic relating to the FZR/YZF (UK) or motorcycling in general.

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

badger3292
Site Newbie

oil

Post by badger3292 »

hi there sorry to sound like a dumb ass but ive had a look through the wiki n not found the answer im after so here goes....
i need to top up my engine oil and its a sunday n the bike shop is closed but i do have some oil here its 10w 40 SEMI SYNTHETIC is that ok to use in my fzr 1000 exup (92) i know the 10w 40 part is ok its the synthetic part in unsure about
many thanks paul
Stranglerman
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Re: oil

Post by Stranglerman »

If it is motorcycle semi synthetic oil then it will be fine. If it is for a car then do not use it. you could be looking at problems!!!!
Stig
Level 3.5
Level 3.5

Post by Stig »

^^^ agreed, dont use the car oil. Being as the bike has a wet multi-plate clutch the friction reducers in car oil will impregnate the clutch plates and make it slip. If that happens its been known to have to replace the clutch to cure the slipping
If its not broken it dont need fixing

http://www.exup1000.co.uk
badger3292
Site Newbie

Post by badger3292 »

oh bugger i put it in before i seen your replys will the car oil burn quick if i put it in the bike as i filled it as normal with the incorrect oil n about a week later its all gone does this mean ive buggered it up totally oh n there no smoke of any colour coming out of the can so i dont think its burning it
many thanks
Stranglerman
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by Stranglerman »

Is there a pool of oil under your bike then?????? Only joking, you would of noticed that. Drop that oil out asap and put in the correct grade. If your bike IS losing oil then you should get it checked and sorted. Fill your bike with the correct grade and keep an eye on it to start with.
Hope that helps.
tommyj27
Level 9.5
Level 9.5

Post by tommyj27 »

do we know of any cases of FZRs being hurt by Auto oil? I had heard that it was a [bigger] problem with Hondas. Not saying that you shouldn't change out that oil, but isn't it already hosed if it has been in the bike a week?
ragedigital
4000+ Posts
4000+ Posts

Post by ragedigital »

tommyj27 wrote:do we know of any cases of FZRs being hurt by Auto oil? I had heard that it was a [bigger] problem with Hondas. Not saying that you shouldn't change out that oil, but isn't it already hosed if it has been in the bike a week?
It's still a big debate. A lot of people run automotive oil and say that it doesn't affect anything; however, is it really work risking? It cost me $24 to do an oil change with Mobil 1 full synthetic for Motorcycles with a WIX filter.

I can tell you that my GSXR didn't care for the Shell Rotella - got warm and made unusual noises. Never did that again. I didn't ride the FZR hard enough to really tell a difference. The Rotella doesn't have the friction modifiers in it and is cheap, so it's a popular choice.
Thanks for joining and participating in the most "active" FZR Community on the internet!
tommyj27
Level 9.5
Level 9.5

Post by tommyj27 »

Within 500mi, my Honda turns any oil I feed it into something resembling swamp muck. I'm trying Mobil1 MC oil this time.

The GF's bike gets Valvoline White Bottle 10w40. It's automotive, but doesn't have friction reducer junk. She's never had a problem with it, but she should probably switch to synthetic, since I'm not the one responsible for her bike, and she has a tendency to forget about maintenance, for years.
badger3292
Site Newbie

Post by badger3292 »

well im doin an oil change in the morning and got some engine flush so hopfully that will rectify my bugger up :) thanks for the info people