WARNING ALL MEMBERS with HAYNES MANUAL

Any topic relating to the FZR/YZF (UK) or motorcycling in general.

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

WARNING ALL MEMBERS with HAYNES MANUAL

Post by yamaha_george »

hi,
during one of the threads something has come up that is a flaming disaster to trouble shooting FZR ignition systems.

Clymer & the OEM books give the pick up coil (by the flywheel) as being 80-120 ohms continuity

whilst Haynes says the pickup coils is 135 Ohms to 165 ohms at 20 degrees Centigrade when testing continuity.

If you do your trouble shooting with a Haynes manual you would draw the conclusion that your perfectly good coil at say 90 Ohms has partialy shorted out .!!!!!!

Please amend your copies now to save you trouble in the future
cad600
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Re: WARNING ALL MEMBERS with HAYNES MANUAL

Post by cad600 »

Good catch Geo. But that is not the only error I've found in the Non-OEM service manual. There are plenty of them. The OEM is the most accurate of all the manuals, however sometimes the others do offer more illustrations that better explain what to do or where something is located.

An example is that both the OEM and Clymer manuals skip one bolt on the procedure to separate the crank cases. Problem is that they both skip a different bolt.
Yes, that is a Single Sided Swingarm FZR600 that I built.

Something is lurking, waiting, wanting to be built......It calls to me from the darkness....

I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel....Then I realize that it is the train coming to run my ass over....
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

cad600 wrote:Good catch Geo. But that is not the only error I've found in the Non-OEM service manual. There are plenty of them. The OEM is the most accurate of all the manuals, however sometimes the others do offer more illustrations that better explain what to do or where something is located.

An example is that both the OEM and Clymer manuals skip one bolt on the procedure to separate the crank cases. Problem is that they both skip a different bolt.

CAD,
OK lets get this solved how about a manuals errattum section in the WIKI ?

So Guys & Gals any TYPO's in Manuals send them by PM to me and I will endeavour to put the section together OK.
Brutal Tooth
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by Brutal Tooth »

I don't know what kind of manual a haynes is, but I put all my trust into the "Factory Service Manuals". They have served my father right for a long time (15 years atleast), and they continue to serve. I put my trust in them and recommend everyone else do the same.
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

Brutal Tooth wrote:I don't know what kind of manual a haynes is, but I put all my trust into the "Factory Service Manuals". They have served my father right for a long time (15 years atleast), and they continue to serve. I put my trust in them and recommend everyone else do the same.
I dunno about what your Father was using but I can tell you that Yamaha during the time I ran the service franchise in the West Indies was for ever sending us Errata for our factory manuals. So nothing is fool proof whether we like it or not.

Readers be aware
Brutal Tooth
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by Brutal Tooth »

My father says he has found 2 errors in Haynes as well, but all the manuals i put my trust in are "Factory Service Manual" with the type of vehicle. That's it.
thatkid

Post by thatkid »

No manual, nor anyone, can guarantee perfection, If anyone guarantee's perfection, you have just met a moron.
dragracer1951
Site Newbie

Post by dragracer1951 »

They don't call it "The Book of Woes" for nothing
duckling
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by duckling »

Brutal Tooth wrote:I don't know what kind of manual a haynes is, but I put all my trust into the "Factory Service Manuals". They have served my father right for a long time (15 years atleast), and they continue to serve. I put my trust in them and recommend everyone else do the same.
I have found at least one error in the factory manual. I remember it was a reference photo that was mirrored, not to mention some pretty questionable English.
steph42
Site Newbie

Post by steph42 »

Ive got an OEM yamaha service manual for my 89 1000 exup if any1 wants a copy i'll get my son to copy it on the scanner and send it via email

Just trying to help...

Steve
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

steph42 wrote:Ive got an OEM yamaha service manual for my 89 1000 exup if any1 wants a copy i'll get my son to copy it on the scanner and send it via email

Just trying to help...

Steve
Steve ,
Thank you for the offer I for on would like a copy to use as reference for the forum since I do not have a!k personally
steph42
Site Newbie

Post by steph42 »

Np George will get me son to get it scanned in over the nxt wk and get it to you :thumbsup:
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

steph42 wrote:Np George will get me son to get it scanned in over the nxt wk and get it to you :thumbsup:

S,
Thank you both for that.
cntryboy85
Level 3.0
Level 3.0

Post by cntryboy85 »

cad600 wrote:Good catch Geo. But that is not the only error I've found in the Non-OEM service manual. There are plenty of them. The OEM is the most accurate of all the manuals, however sometimes the others do offer more illustrations that better explain what to do or where something is located.

sorry about reviving an old post but my buddy is trying to to pull the bottom end off of my 95 so we can pull the rods for a 660 conversion and is having trouble getting them separated. are you talking about the cylinders from the case or the bottom end? granted i think this is the first time it has been pulled apart so 18 years together might have a lot to do with it as well. thanks