Helping thieves?

Any topic relating to the FZR/YZF (UK) or motorcycling in general.

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Helping thieves?

Post by yamaha_george »

Guys & Girls,
When you take a photo of your bike EITHER cover the number plate /tag OR photoshop it out PLEASE.
A cyber pal sent a picture of his newly finished creation to a list, 5 days later it was gone.

The low life was caught quite by accident in another state, how did he know to steal it YUP the photo with number plate used his 'puter to do atrace drove over the
line with apal put said bike in truck and GONE !

Smart enough to do all that but used afalse plate to go showing off with got pulled by the Deputies & is now doing time for crossing state lines grand theft auto.

Be warned you may not be so lucky.
Geo.
deernet
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Re: Helping thieves?

Post by deernet »

Was this guys bike stored out in the open? I keep mine on my porch for lack of a better place. I've thought about chaining it to one of the columns for the awning. I never figured anyone would want an old FZR though. On a side note, wonder how hard it is to break the steering lock?
shredex
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by shredex »

deernet wrote:Was this guys bike stored out in the open? I keep mine on my porch for lack of a better place. I've thought about chaining it to one of the columns for the awning. I never figured anyone would want an old FZR though. On a side note, wonder how hard it is to break the steering lock?
I dont think they break the stearing lock.
it only takes 4 guys to "lift" the bike onto the bed of a truck.
shredex
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by shredex »

BMiller wrote:
That's how they got my '05 Raven R6, but it was a 15 passenger style work van. :swear
and now your bike is part of hundreds of other 04-06 R6's

I keep my bike in my garage.
im just afraid when I have to go to class and I have to leave my bike in the SweetBay parking lot for 6 hours...
I want to look my frame to like a pole or something
mike94fzr600
Level 4.5
Level 4.5

Post by mike94fzr600 »

shredex wrote:
deernet wrote:Was this guys bike stored out in the open? I keep mine on my porch for lack of a better place. I've thought about chaining it to one of the columns for the awning. I never figured anyone would want an old FZR though. On a side note, wonder how hard it is to break the steering lock?
it only took me and a buddy to lift my bike in to the back of my truck. if you had a trailer it would be even better. only 1 person
my rides
2000 chevy z71 4x4
1993 Suzuki Samurai my mud \ trail toy
1994 fzr 600
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

mike94fzr600 wrote:
shredex wrote:
it only took me and a buddy to lift my bike in to the back of my truck. if you had a trailer it would be even better. only 1 person

Boys & Girls,
My point was NOT the fact the bike went in a van but HOW The guy tracked that bike so he could steal it.

THe owner had published to the web his number plate and the thief tracked it down via that

SO if you put your bike on this site OR any other PHOTOSHOP the number plate FIRST !!![
haunter
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by haunter »

with how much my bike sits out for the public to see.........

anyone can see the plate and run it

but when its something newer and maybe custom one off

thats a bigger issue

but ive never not posted the plates on my stuff, I guess its never been nice enough for anyone to care :(
YAM93
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Post by YAM93 »

Exactly why i keep all mine in a secured storage facility with alarm, password gates, security cameras, and site employees watching during the day.

:thumbsup:

...they get thru that i got a grenade with a trip wire and a back-up grenade wired thru the wheels.

:banana:
" several meat-eaters lay in vomit, too weak to move..."
billy_awesome
Level 2.0
Level 2.0

Post by billy_awesome »

Good thread, there are a lot of thieves that use the Internet to track down bikes.

Also, when posting for sale bikes on kijiji or craigslist, DO NOT ENTER YOUR ADDRESS! SOMEONE IN MY CITY HAD THEIR BIKE STOLEN THIS WAY, MAKE IT HARD FOR THE THIEVES!

I'll make this a sticky for now
tommyj27
Level 9.5
Level 9.5

Post by tommyj27 »

FOR SALE: Ducati Desmo RR. 1500mi. parked out front at 123 Jefferson Ave. Stop by and take a look! $40000
ragedigital
4000+ Posts
4000+ Posts

Post by ragedigital »

My bike is in the garage. If I could figure out how to take the damn tank off, then it would be in the basement in front of my desk....

I always scratch out my license number. I have more than a bike at my house.
Thanks for joining and participating in the most "active" FZR Community on the internet!
tommyj27
Level 9.5
Level 9.5

Post by tommyj27 »

ragedigital wrote:I always scratch out my license number. I have more than a bike at my house.
Good to know bandana
ragedigital
4000+ Posts
4000+ Posts

Post by ragedigital »

tommyj27 wrote:Good to know bandana
I also own a worn out Taurus and a Kia minivan!!! :rofl:
Thanks for joining and participating in the most "active" FZR Community on the internet!
PIMPMYFZR
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Post by PIMPMYFZR »

Really though as easy as it is to get your bike stolen , its also as easy to trip a break your neck one the street .. It's just way life is .. Have to be alert and more careful when having amenities compared to people out there who dont have shit .. I work hard for my stuff !!!! It might not be much to the rest of the world or even to the punk trying to lift it off me but they are my most prized pieces! Hell my wedding band is worth almost 4 grand and im not a big ring wearer but i feel bad to leave it lying around in the jewelry box. Bike's in my mind should not be left outside in open sight of a predator , and i understand some people just dont have no where to store them thats when you need chains and locks .. Now in that video were those guys in broad daylight in a busy downtown street pulled up open the side of a dodge minivan , slid it right in ... then your just plain #$%^&* and better have full coverage ..
2002 R1 9k miles , Hotbodies undertail , Chopped Hindle Hi Mount , Solo Seat cowl,Frame sliders, little yellow yamaha wheel stickers .hehe
94' 600RR SOLD**
hid xenon
airtek solo tail
time for a 1000
R.I.P DaD 2/17/09 Your in my <3 always
ragedigital
4000+ Posts
4000+ Posts

Post by ragedigital »

Since everyone is gung-ho on people being "energy conscious", the local govt's need to provide better ways for people to lock up their motorcycles. Specified parking with in-the-ground locking anchors.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1cRVIVru-g

http://www.motorcycleanchor.com/products/anchor.html