warped head/journals?

Any topic relating to the FZR/YZF (UK) or motorcycling in general.

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

roidrage
Site Newbie

warped head/journals?

Post by roidrage »

Hi guys, im having trouble putting my engine back together, once i torque the exhaust cam down I couldnt spin them at all with a spanner, so i took out the valve shims and I can turn it but it is still very stiff, is this from warped journals? If so can i do anything about it other than buying a new head. Im uisng a thundercat head in a 660 build.. it worked with fzr head that was on.
buzzawak
Level 2.0
Level 2.0

Re: warped head/journals?

Post by buzzawak »

You really want to measure up everything to figure out what is causing the problem. You may have a bent cam shaft.
Was the head torqued down to the correct pressure before hand?

If you don't have one you can get a resonable cheap dial guage from china.
Depth guage
Depth guage
roidrage
Site Newbie

Post by roidrage »

Haven't measured the cam but used a spare and it had the same problem, didn't use a torque wrench to tightened them but I used around the same as I did with the fzr head I have , as soon as I tightened the caps just enough so there's not a gap between the caps and the head it gets tight.
buzzawak
Level 2.0
Level 2.0

Post by buzzawak »

DId you check that you had the bearing cap the right way around? should be marked E1,I1 and E2,I2 and that the values were not hitting the pistons.
roidrage
Site Newbie

Post by roidrage »

I dont think the valves should be hiting the pistons since at TDC with the timing marks lined up its cylinder 3 valves wich are pushed down while the piston isnt up and its stuck from then, I dont know much about engines since its first ive had apart. Good call on checking the cap letters, I do I have the L1 cap flipped over where E2 should be on the exhaust side, cant play with it yet since its raining outside.
roidrage
Site Newbie

Post by roidrage »

It turns freely now the bearing caps are the right way around, thanks bujzzawak.. cant believe I spent so many hours tinkering and it was something so simple.
buzzawak
Level 2.0
Level 2.0

Post by buzzawak »

No worries Roidrage
roidrage
Site Newbie

Post by roidrage »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tt9LlqV ... e=youtu.be
Well she started but don't sound great ,knocking noise is coming from the left side of the bike.
Im sure the valve clearances where all at the top end of the range, 15 and 18 for intake with 25 and 28 for the exhaust, I'll try tighenten exhaust headers more before I check valve clearances incase they are rattling.
buzzawak
Level 2.0
Level 2.0

Post by buzzawak »

No, don't sound good at all.
Maybe you could borrow or rent a torque wrench off someone.
You do mean 0.15mm -0.18mm and 0.25mm - 0.28mm

Getting the clearances right can be tricky. I find I have to do the measuring twice to check I have it right. Having a long reach feelers guage helps alot.
I use this shim calculator, very handy. http://toolclub.com/colin/index.php