Fuel Injection kits for the FZR400, FZR600, YZF600

Any topic relating to the FZR/YZF (UK) or motorcycling in general.

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

DonTZ125

Re: Fuel Injection kits for the FZR400, FZR600, YZF600

Post by DonTZ125 »

Heh - I haven't measured my cyl distances, but the full rack won't fit between my rails - I think the 400s and 600s have more elbow room.
cad600
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Post by cad600 »

Just out of curiosity, did you happen to read the thread by Diztroy on making his YZF600 EFI - click here - over on oldskoolyzf.com? He had intakes custom machined to fit the R6 throttle bodies to the YZF head. In theory, the same can be done to the FZR head. The difference being the round vs oval intake port design of the FZR. I believe most of his cost is tied up in the custom intake runners and the computer controllers. Modifying the R6 throttle bodies was the easy and cheep part.

Just thought this might hep shed some light on few areas for ya.

One other area I've thought about with this is possibly using a different manufactures throttle bodies for the job. If one could be found to have a very close mounting structure (location of throttle cables and distance between cylinders) then it would further simplify things given that you have to run a Mega Squirt style system to operate things.

Or if we could actually find someone that has a Bimota YB9SRI, that would be the best. It was a YZF600 engine that Bimota built a custom EFI system for. Just looking at the system might help, but I have never seen anyone with one.
Yes, that is a Single Sided Swingarm FZR600 that I built.

Something is lurking, waiting, wanting to be built......It calls to me from the darkness....

I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel....Then I realize that it is the train coming to run my ass over....
Freestyle72
Level 4.0
Level 4.0

Post by Freestyle72 »

cad600 wrote:Just out of curiosity, did you happen to read the thread by Diztroy on making his YZF600 EFI - click here - over on oldskoolyzf.com? He had intakes custom machined to fit the R6 throttle bodies to the YZF head. In theory, the same can be done to the FZR head. The difference being the round vs oval intake port design of the FZR. I believe most of his cost is tied up in the custom intake runners and the computer controllers. Modifying the R6 throttle bodies was the easy and cheep part.

Just thought this might hep shed some light on few areas for ya.

One other area I've thought about with this is possibly using a different manufactures throttle bodies for the job. If one could be found to have a very close mounting structure (location of throttle cables and distance between cylinders) then it would further simplify things given that you have to run a Mega Squirt style system to operate things.

Or if we could actually find someone that has a Bimota YB9SRI, that would be the best. It was a YZF600 engine that Bimota built a custom EFI system for. Just looking at the system might help, but I have never seen anyone with one.
Yes I have seen diztroys project. And my FZR has a 683 in it so it actually has a yzf600 head on there. I wasn't sure if the fzr and yzf had different port shape. The yzf and r6 have almost identical ports as u can see from the trace out. I didn't know the fzrs were rounder. Anyways I saw how diztroy did his and I know some gsxrs and hondas have metal runners but I like the yamaha style boot a lot better. I think if i can get new flanges machined up should be cheap to have someone weld them on. And all that leaves is finding some rubber like coating like the one that's like what the oems use.
Freestyle72
Level 4.0
Level 4.0

Post by Freestyle72 »

I disassembled the throttlebody so each one was individual and tried to find the space between the frame rails to fit the TBs and it just won't fit. Not with this cyclinder spacing. So now I have a pretty good idea of what I want to do. A custom intake manifolds with a shape that will address the shape of the R6 TBs stock. So that will save me modifying the throttlebody. I can spend more money on the manifold and still come out even. The added bonus of this approach is that this manifold can be bolted onto any YZF600 head. I will come up with an FZR version if I can get this going. Anyways that I would update where I was heading with this. Going to explore this new option now. And yes I know Duane made this suggestion from the very beginning.
sweekster
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by sweekster »

Freestyle72 wrote: And yes I know Duane made this suggestion from the very beginning.
:whistle

No worries at least you have will probably a better avenue to go now. :cheers:
Duane...
Bike:
1994 Yamaha FZR 1000 EXUP
Factory Pro Stage 1 Jetting | K&N Filter | Corbin Seat | ProTek Keyless Gas Cap | GSXR Mirrors
My Thread
Cage:
2005 Saab 9-7x 5.3i Arc AWD

THE WIKI IS YOUR FRIEND
THE SEARCH IS YOUR SIGNIFICANT OTHER
USE THEM!!
reelrazor
Wrench
Wrench

Post by reelrazor »

I've seen the legend sprint car(maybe not Legend class-but there is one that runs 600cc) boys running FZR motors. Fuel injected.

Everyone of those I have seen uses Hillborn F.I. components
http://www.michiganmobileservice.com/

“A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.”-Douglas Adams

http://www.youtube.com/user/reelrazor
olie05
Level 2.0
Level 2.0

Post by olie05 »

You don't need to cut the fuel lines if you run them like this:

fuel pump --> fpr --> Tee fitting --> fuel rail on 1 and 2
<--------return -->fuel rail on 3 and 4

but you might need to get more parts than what the TBs came with.

also, on r6 tb's the fuel rail is just a simple tube with plastic fittings over each injector and o-rings in the tubes right? seems simple to recreate in a longer version
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

olie05 wrote:You don't need to cut the fuel lines if you run them like this:

fuel pump --> fpr --> Tee fitting --> fuel rail on 1 and 2
<--------return -->fuel rail on 3 and 4

but you might need to get more parts than what the TBs came with.

also, on r6 tb's the fuel rail is just a simple tube with plastic fittings over each injector and o-rings in the tubes right? seems simple to recreate in a longer version
For those of us with poor imagination is it possible to show a piccy with the bits drawn in ?
CJD
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by CJD »

Freestyle72 wrote: Yes I have seen diztroys project. And my FZR has a 683 in it so it actually has a yzf600 head on there. I wasn't sure if the fzr and yzf had different port shape. The yzf and r6 have almost identical ports as u can see from the trace out. I didn't know the fzrs were rounder. Anyways I saw how diztroy did his and I know some gsxrs and hondas have metal runners but I like the yamaha style boot a lot better. I think if i can get new flanges machined up should be cheap to have someone weld them on. And all that leaves is finding some rubber like coating like the one that's like what the oems use.
First time ive red this,

why dose the subject say "Fuel Injection kits for the FZR400, FZR600, YZF600?" will your design work on a 400,600 & a YZF?, if you perfect the design i'm in for a FZR600 kit

thanks
Freestyle72
Level 4.0
Level 4.0

Post by Freestyle72 »

I am working on getting mine going. The YZF and FZRs use the same cylinder spacing. Considering I am using the stock intake boot it should work similarly on the FZRs. Anyway still some time away from having this on the road so I'll let you know when I do.
feef
Site Newbie

Post by feef »

<delurk>

I've been contemplating this very same mod for quite a while. From my point of view, when you consider that a set of flat-slide carbs to fit the FZR400 I have would set you back about 1200GBP new (IF you can find someone with them). In comparison, the same amount for a plug-in FI kit doesn't sound too bad.

So colour me interested in a kit if you can get it going. If you don't get enough interest to make it worthwhile, I would still be interested in 'buying' your CAD designs, or coming to some similar arrangement, and making up the kit for my own use. It sounds like you're further down the line than I am, and so it would make more sense to work on, and develop a common design rather than try and reinvent the wheel, so to speak.
</delurk>
--
When a passenger of the foot, hooves in sight, tootel the horn trumpet melodiously
http://www.kickingtyres.com
Freestyle72
Level 4.0
Level 4.0

Post by Freestyle72 »

feef wrote:<delurk>

I've been contemplating this very same mod for quite a while. From my point of view, when you consider that a set of flat-slide carbs to fit the FZR400 I have would set you back about 1200GBP new (IF you can find someone with them). In comparison, the same amount for a plug-in FI kit doesn't sound too bad.

So colour me interested in a kit if you can get it going. If you don't get enough interest to make it worthwhile, I would still be interested in 'buying' your CAD designs, or coming to some similar arrangement, and making up the kit for my own use. It sounds like you're further down the line than I am, and so it would make more sense to work on, and develop a common design rather than try and reinvent the wheel, so to speak.
</delurk>
When I really get a move on with this I'll post it all up.
cntryboy85
Level 3.0
Level 3.0

Post by cntryboy85 »

Sounds like a great idea but i would rather sell my fzr and buy a newer bike than to but 1500 into a 16 year old bike that soon might have more problems if you update the computers and modify it that much. But in kits ot if it could be a few hundered cheaper then it might be worth the time and effort to put into it.
feef
Site Newbie

Post by feef »

cntryboy85 wrote:Sounds like a great idea but i would rather sell my fzr and buy a newer bike than to but 1500 into a 16 year old bike that soon might have more problems if you update the computers and modify it that much. But in kits ot if it could be a few hundered cheaper then it might be worth the time and effort to put into it.
Some of us aren't interested in simply buying a newer bike. Indeed, I've got a 2003 FJR1300 for that.. I just want to build something different :)
--
When a passenger of the foot, hooves in sight, tootel the horn trumpet melodiously
http://www.kickingtyres.com
Freestyle72
Level 4.0
Level 4.0

Post by Freestyle72 »

Still working on this. Just waiting for an R6 intake air temperature sensor to arrive from the USA and I should be able to get this thing idleing at least. Still have fix the throttle bracket to accept my current throttle cables and also still need to have an O2 sensor bung welded into the exhaust so I can begin tuning as well.