The war on sportbike Thieves

Any topic relating to the FZR/YZF (UK) or motorcycling in general.

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

ruddiger
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Re: The war on sportbike Thieves

Post by ruddiger »

i found the best thing to use was a disk lock(pref one with an alarm, so if it is moved it goes off, and if you go to ride off without taking it off you will know!!) on the rear brake, i worked as a courier for a few years and guys bikes kept getting stolen,
most times the bikes would have the steering lock & disk lock on the front and we had no idea how they were getting them until we cought somebody trying to steal one and they had a van with a ramp and just put the front wheel onto a skateboard and wheeled it straight into the back of the van, takes about 30 secs........b*stards!
RuDDiGeR
RxRC
Site Newbie

Post by RxRC »

Wow! Three pages on bike theft. That sucks it's really that much of a problem in areas. You guys live in the hood?
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

RxRC wrote:Wow! Three pages on bike theft. That sucks it's really that much of a problem in areas. You guys live in the hood?
Nah Ruddigger lives in a popular sea side town where the first Biker V scooter gangs clashed back in the sixties so the place is a Mecca for bikers and I mean by the thousand on certain weekends.
Actually if Ruddiger looks on the pier he will find repro's of the historic photo's of the battles of the time as post cards there were some well known faces in them LoL
WSM
Level 2.0
Level 2.0

Post by WSM »

RxRC wrote:Wow! Three pages on bike theft. That sucks it's really that much of a problem in areas. You guys live in the hood?
Speaking of RxRC, where are you located? (fill in your profile location!) PLZ
1998 FZR600
All Original, except for a custom saddlebag set up. A machine shop buddy of mine seamlessly fitted two GS bags on the rear end for last summers ride.
30,000+ odo
RxRC
Site Newbie

Post by RxRC »

WSM wrote:Speaking of RxRC, where are you located? (fill in your profile location!) PLZ
Pretty pleaze?
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

RxRC wrote:
WSM wrote:Speaking of RxRC, where are you located? (fill in your profile location!) PLZ
Pretty pleaze?
Nah, that would be pushing it :-} but thanks for doing it any how.
McFizzer
Level 3.0
Level 3.0

Post by McFizzer »

Thanks for posting this. I dont live anywhere like Los Angelos or SD but its veru helpful. I think i've seen some locks that go on the rotor or something like that.

That GPS phone sounds sweep. About to go out this weekend and rig that up =)
1992 FZR 1000
:Under serious re-construction:
Brutal Tooth
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by Brutal Tooth »

Been looking around for a cheap GPS cell, but I cant find one....
thatkid

Post by thatkid »

My sons just got a brand new yzf125r (first bike) the insurance company insist he fits a disk (rotor in American speak) lock @ all times while parked, or they won't pay out for theft, he's using my Motrax Guvna (while mines off the road) if you use a disk lock be sure to use a "disk lock reminder" (goes between the lock and hand grip) so you don't forget to remove the lock OUCH.

This is pathetic Britain, where minors steal cars/bikes burn them out, and if they even appear in court nothing happens, sometimes they get sent on safaris or other trips cause they are under privileged, other times they get sent on mechanics courses!! where they probably learn easier methods of stealing cars/bikes.

That's British Justice. The victim incurs extra insurance premiums, the thief gets pampered.

my2cents
ballisticmonkey3

Post by ballisticmonkey3 »

...this thread is funny to me. I had ignition problems a while back, so I took out my ignition and replaced it with two switches that allow me to turn the power on/off. THis makes it somewhat easier to steal (no key), but the switches are rather hard to locate. It's not impossible to hotwire, but to imagine a thief trying to steal my bike and seeing no ignition is a funny sight indeed. That said, I don't think I would do this anywhere else but up here. People don't steal a lot of bikes up here for the main reason that it'd be incredibly hard to ride, sell, or part out.
ronny86
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by ronny86 »

not sure if external links to shop websites are allowed but what ive got is this, a small box that goes in the corner of the garage:

XENA XA801 MOTION SENSOR INFRARED INTRUDER ZONE ALARM

The XENA XA801 combines the features of a standard zone alarm with a built-in auto-dialler. Programmable with up to three telephone numbers. When triggered the alarm will sound, and the auto-dialler phones up to three pre-programmed numbers to alert you or others to the presence of an intruder. In silent mode, only the autodialler is activated. Battery operated, the unit connects to directly to any phone socket and is fully approved for all phone systems.

Features:
Auto-dials up to 3 programmable telephone numbers
Passive infrared beam detects movement up to 20ft. (6m) away
Ultra-loud 135 dB siren
Easy-to-program 4-digit code
ronny86
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by ronny86 »

ruddiger wrote:i found the best thing to use was a disk lock(pref one with an alarm, so if it is moved it goes off, and if you go to ride off without taking it off you will know!!) on the rear brake, i worked as a courier for a few years and guys bikes kept getting stolen,
most times the bikes would have the steering lock & disk lock on the front and we had no idea how they were getting them until we cought somebody trying to steal one and they had a van with a ramp and just put the front wheel onto a skateboard and wheeled it straight into the back of the van, takes about 30 secs........b*stards!
but surely they could do this even with one on the rear? just need a stronger skateboard?
Muscrap
Site Newbie

Post by Muscrap »

Good read.
The power of the Fiz compels me.
jkray80
Site Newbie

Post by jkray80 »

Thanks for the heads up
Getting better
mk2davis
Site Newbie

Post by mk2davis »

I don't use a disc lock, but I've found a locking hitchpin through the rotor is effective and cheap (my two favorite words). I keep the pin in a pouch under the seat, and the pouch goes over the gauges when the front wheel is locked up. This makes it harder to forget about the lock!
'88 FZR400 1WG