Coolants - Water vs Premixed vs Water Wetter

Any topic relating to the FZR/YZF (UK) or motorcycling in general.

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

What is your choice of coolent during the summer months

50% Glycol/50% water (ie. Premixed)
48%
50/50 + (WaterWetter or Royal Purple)
8%
Water Only
4%
Water + WaterWetter
15%
Engine Ice Hi-Performance Coolant
15%
Other combination
10%

Total votes: 73

China_Racer_1
Level 5.0
Level 5.0

Re: Coolants - Water vs Premixed vs Water Wetter

Post by China_Racer_1 »

ozzyfzr wrote:To be honest, flush and thoroughly clean your coolant system/radiator, replace thermostat (small cost really) then I add 70% antifreeze to water, I have fitted an over-ride switch for the fan and even on a 32C Track-day mine never got anywhere near the hot end of the scale!!!!

Over-ride is purely used as a panic set-up when in traffic, as the ambient temp can get to 40C+ in the summers here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quality maintenance is the key with the cooling system, clean out bugs and shite from the cores of the radiator and she's a good un.

Hope it helps
Ozzyfzr
Did I read that right? Your on the track with Antifreeze in your system?

I did not think that was allowed? Just curious if its because track day vs a race day.

On the 400/YZF hybrid I am putting on a Kawi 636 radiator and plan to use water wetter. I will hook up a manual fan switch as well.

But being a race bike I also plan to wrap the exhaust headers in an attempt to help with engine cooling. I will let you know how it goes.
Baghr
Site Newbie

Post by Baghr »

I have wrapped header pipes on other motorcycles and it does seem to make a difference on the heat kept in the pipes, most notibly it moves the heat rearward making the exhaust can a good deal hotter. In theory it will help with scavenging the gasses, but my seat-of-the-pants dyno could not detect much difference. I would watch areas where the pipes are in close contact with plastic-you might have some issues if not careful.

Personally, I dig the looks of header wrap, and I got mine from summit racing, which had about the best prices I could find. While its reasonably fragile, I've had a bike wrapped for two years and it still looks ok.
Baghr
maverick
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by maverick »

did you guys know that ethylene glycol has a higher boiling point than water? mixed 50/50 the boiling point is about 225 and 70/30 (more coolant) is 235. which is 23 degrees higher than pure water. :thumbsup:
ShogunTX
Level 4.5
Level 4.5

Post by ShogunTX »

Mav, your pic resembles an AirWolf Pilot :headbang:
ozzyfzr
Site Newbie

Post by ozzyfzr »

Yes I was running Anti-freeze for a track-day not a Race day, the officials didn't ask to check any cooling systems.
Regards
Ozzyfzr
It looks fast! is it
shredex
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by shredex »

I use wetter water in with my anti-freeze...it does...fine
haunter
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by haunter »

time to go back to coolant!
4003tj
Site Newbie

Post by 4003tj »

Try the RR SP coolant conversion, use the RR SP oil filter housing and the RR SP rad as shown here http://www.richard-halford.co.uk/rr_or_sp/rr_or_sp.html needs to be the screw on oil filter, and that's if you can get the bits, but if is permanent and cools the oil as well as the water
Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear, that's gonna cost ya!!!
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

4003tj wrote:Try the RR SP coolant conversion, use the RR SP oil filter housing and the RR SP rad as shown here http://www.richard-halford.co.uk/rr_or_sp/rr_or_sp.html needs to be the screw on oil filter, and that's if you can get the bits, but if is permanent and cools the oil as well as the water
Hi,
there was at one time an aftermarket version of that if memory of such mods is anything to go by
Y-G
Brutal Tooth
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by Brutal Tooth »

Here in the southern parts of the states where it gets the hottest, I use 7:3 or 6:4 100% antifreeze to water. It keeps my bike cool with a a fan on. during the 100 degree weathers. Cool as in no more 1/3 up the gauge.
China_Racer_1
Level 5.0
Level 5.0

Post by China_Racer_1 »

I am using a larger radiator which is off a Kawasaki 636. It is a pretty easy conversion. Only need to make a few simple brackets and your good to go. Hoses I had a bunch so that was not an issue finding ones that fit.

I have a YZF engine so it already had the oil cooler.

Inside I use: Liquid Performance. A bit better than water wetter it claims.

All I can say is out of the 27 bikes that started on the grid last time 14 of us finished and more than half of the remaining left the track due to over heating issues.

I had no issues and returned with an engine at 80 degrees celcius. Seems to do what it says and the bike ran like a champ. Temps were about 93-95 with a very high humidity.

This product was sponsored to me by Tilley Automotie who is a Distributer of Liquid Performance. But honestly if it were not given to me, I would use it anyway as water alone does not cool off as well as Liquid Performance does.

A cool engine is a happy engine :headbang:
thatkid

Post by thatkid »

Are the oil coolers not stock? mine has the oil cooler near the oil filter, 1 hose to the water pump & 1 to the radiator.
HybridSport600
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by HybridSport600 »

Deputy1042 wrote:Out of curiosity, has anyone tried that Engine Ice Hi-Performance Coolant? The company claims it reduces operating race temperatures by as much as 50°F.

Engine ice is all i use, does not lower as much as claimed, but I have deffinately noticed a difference even before I did the yzf rad swap. with an extra cooling fan running full time and a hand operated switch. with these two changes I dont even reach half way on the stock guage...
89 FZR 600 US- In process of Full frame up resto/Modding
94 FZR 600 US- all OEM
05 600 f4i US- Full Cylinder machining/w full Port/polished head /w stainless valves,Custom H-beam connecting rods,
low compression Weisco Forged pistons,and alcohol mix intercooled. -Sold in 09
79 XS650 US- Boyer electronic ignition, accell coil, ricks stator upgrade, Custom Flamed Ghost pearl 2 tone blue
83 Xj550 US- Full restoration- w/minor mods, Custom Candy Tangerine pearl paint, in process of Fiberglassing a solo seat
69 Vw Trike 2180cc h4 -w/ 15lbs boost paxton supercharger in progress.
79 HD Shovelhead Custom- 1340cc- Just purchased 11-3-12
thatkid
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by thatkid »

HybridSport600 wrote:
Deputy1042 wrote:Out of curiosity, has anyone tried that Engine Ice Hi-Performance Coolant? The company claims it reduces operating race temperatures by as much as 50°F.

Engine ice is all i use, does not lower as much as claimed, but I have deffinately noticed a difference even before I did the yzf rad swap. with an extra cooling fan running full time and a hand operated switch. with these two changes I dont even reach half way on the stock guage...
Might want to look at the last post before bringing up a 2 year old topic.
Do YOU Scopper?

"When some people cry, it's not because they’re weak. It’s because they’ve been strong for far too long."
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

Hi,
LoL Nate , Both Nik & I run Engine Ice, he runs his bike in average 80-90 degrees tropical climate all year round and even when in traffic and the bike gestapo {read bike cops) are around his bike never reads more than a1/3 up the temp gauge with stock fan and only rarely does it get hot enough to turn the fan on.

I used Engine Ice simply because we live in spook central AKA Camera city so wizzing down the white lines gets you a machine dispensed ticket and the summers have been real hot 'cept this last one which was real wet.
My guage is like \Niks never known it to climb and i have a stainless screen/shield on my rad. which is abit restrictive so i would expect a higher reading.