The war on sportbike Thieves

Any topic relating to the FZR/YZF (UK) or motorcycling in general.

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

shredex
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Re: The war on sportbike Thieves

Post by shredex »

there on a serial bike stealing rampage right now in my area.
so far they got the following in the past month in order from a month ago to this morning
*Cbr600rr
*09 cbr600rr pheonix
*03 busa
*two dirt bikes
*08 gsxr750
*03 busa
*03 cbr600rr

these are from the past few days.
*08 gsxr1000 (7/14/09)
*07 gsxr1000 (7/15/09)(this is my brothers roomates bike)
*08 cbr600rr (7/16/09)
*03 busa (7/17/09)
*08 gsxr1000 (7/18/09)

these are people in my area of tampa bay.
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

shredex wrote:there on a serial bike stealing rampage right now in my area.
so far they got the following in the past month in order from a month ago to this morning
*Cbr600rr
*09 cbr600rr pheonix
*03 busa
*two dirt bikes
*08 gsxr750
*03 busa
*03 cbr600rr

these are from the past few days.
*08 gsxr1000 (7/14/09)
*07 gsxr1000 (7/15/09)(this is my brothers roomates bike)
*08 cbr600rr (7/16/09)
*03 busa (7/17/09)
*08 gsxr1000 (7/18/09)

these are people in my area of tampa bay.
Shred,
Tell the lady move over your sleeping with yer bike tonight
Huckleberry
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by Huckleberry »

LOL @ Geo +5 on that
megaloxana
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by megaloxana »

The best anti-theft precaution you can take is ride an FZR hehe (pimpmyfzr dont say anything)
'92 FZR 600
Airtech R1 kit \*/ 520 conversion \*/ 14F-47R gearing
K&N pod filters \*/ Stage 3 jet kit \*/ Factory Pro shift kit \*/ Full V&H SS exhaust
Custom '02 R6 undertail \*/ YZF gas tank \*/ Raised via dogbones \*/ custom flush turnsignals
Full R6 brake set-up \*/ SS lines \*/ Progressive fork springs \*/ ZX2 coilpack

ADD YOURSELF TO THE OFFICIAL FZRONLINE GOOGLE EARTH MAP :bunny :banjoman
shredex
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by shredex »

yea, for some reason no one wants my Fzr :'C
its sad...my bikes not even worth stealin.

I wonder if any fzr has ever been stolen?
PIMPMYFZR
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Post by PIMPMYFZR »

yea 2-3 weeks after i sold mine , it got stolen.. but im sure it got took to joy ride and rag the shit piss out of it . then dump somwhere when it dont go no more ..
2002 R1 9k miles , Hotbodies undertail , Chopped Hindle Hi Mount , Solo Seat cowl,Frame sliders, little yellow yamaha wheel stickers .hehe
94' 600RR SOLD**
hid xenon
airtek solo tail
time for a 1000
R.I.P DaD 2/17/09 Your in my <3 always
mrfreeze5
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by mrfreeze5 »

Im currentlu working on the hidden start switch. Im installing a momentary push button somewhere that must be held down for the start button on the bar to work. I will be addind a new ign cylinder soon and I think Im going to slip some of that steel sheathing like they use on payphone cords around it as well and make sure the harness plug cannot be pulled out from inside the frame. Plus itll look cool. My bike may be a fzr, but it would be a prime subject to part out. I wont take any chances. I wonder if anyone has used those child GPS units that you stick on you young kid in case they wander off or get taken. I dont know if it has a service fee, but it cant be very big if a kid can carry it around on them.
shredex
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by shredex »

mrfreeze5 wrote:Im currentlu working on the hidden start switch. Im installing a momentary push button somewhere that must be held down for the start button on the bar to work. I will be addind a new ign cylinder soon and I think Im going to slip some of that steel sheathing like they use on payphone cords around it as well and make sure the harness plug cannot be pulled out from inside the frame. Plus itll look cool. My bike may be a fzr, but it would be a prime subject to part out. I wont take any chances. I wonder if anyone has used those child GPS units that you stick on you young kid in case they wander off or get taken. I dont know if it has a service fee, but it cant be very big if a kid can carry it around on them.

there is a guy on the other forum that installed his ignition from his busa to a hidden spot within the frame...

I know how you can do that start button thing...but that wont help the hot wiring
do you know where you can get the metal sheathing? cut up old cables and slide wire threw them lol
the_finch
Level 8.5
Level 8.5

Post by the_finch »

shredex wrote:
mrfreeze5 wrote:Im currentlu working on the hidden start switch. Im installing a momentary push button somewhere that must be held down for the start button on the bar to work. I will be addind a new ign cylinder soon and I think Im going to slip some of that steel sheathing like they use on payphone cords around it as well and make sure the harness plug cannot be pulled out from inside the frame. Plus itll look cool. My bike may be a fzr, but it would be a prime subject to part out. I wont take any chances. I wonder if anyone has used those child GPS units that you stick on you young kid in case they wander off or get taken. I dont know if it has a service fee, but it cant be very big if a kid can carry it around on them.

there is a guy on the other forum that installed his ignition from his busa to a hidden spot within the frame...

I know how you can do that start button thing...but that wont help the hot wiring
do you know where you can get the metal sheathing? cut up old cables and slide wire threw them lol
Another option would be to get one of those hose dress up kits that have the braided stainless covers that slip over your coolant hoses, heater hoses, etc. If you had the wiring inside shrink wrap and then put that braided stainless sheath over it, there would be very little chance of it vibrating and short circuiting and it would be more flexible than those armored phone cable covers; yet it would still take something bigger than your average wire cutters if you didn't want to spend 10 minutes gnawing away at the cover. Just thought I'd throw that out there. my2cents
1997 FZR600RJ

Engine: K&N Drop-in air filter - stock airbox - FP 5°ignition advancer - EBC "Street Racer" Kevlar clutch
Exhaust: Stock header - Yoshimura RS-3 Carbon fiber slip-on
Body: Original paint/graphics - Clear Alternatives integrated LED Taillight - Flanders' flush front signals - YZF600 Mirrors - Comp. Werkes Stainless fender eliminator/tag bracket - 60w/55w H4 headlights
Tires: Metzler MEZ4B 120/70 ZR17 Front - Michelin Madacam 100x 150/70 ZR18 Rear
Brakes:Stock rotors with EBC HH Sinstered pads
In the works: YZF600 header, '97 Bandit 600 rear wheel, DynoJet Stage 3, Racetech Springs and Emulators fork rebuild, FZ1 rear shock, YZF600 front MC, Galfer SS Lines, CFM rearsets
WSM
Level 2.0
Level 2.0

Post by WSM »

mrfreeze5 wrote: I wonder if anyone has used those child GPS units that you stick on you young kid in case they wander off or get taken. I dont know if it has a service fee, but it cant be very big if a kid can carry it around on them.
I was just looking at those (http://gpsmagazine.com/2008/05/the_ulti ... rackin.php) and this one looks the best: Zoombak's GPS Car & Family Locator
It's cheap ($99 on Amazon right now), has a vehicle installation package (12V Cig. Lighter) and is only $15 a month for service.
1998 FZR600
All Original, except for a custom saddlebag set up. A machine shop buddy of mine seamlessly fitted two GS bags on the rear end for last summers ride.
30,000+ odo
Fartblood
Level 4.5
Level 4.5

Post by Fartblood »

Who was it (someone on here?) that came up with this - conceal a cheapo cellphone under the seat on in the fairing, and subscribe to a mobile phone tracking service. Voila!
mrfreeze5
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by mrfreeze5 »

I found that armored payphone cable sheath. unfortunately it only comes in 1000 foot rolls for about $980. Maybe if we all chip in we can split it up and armor the whole board :D Im keeping an eye out on craigslist for busted up old payphones and such. If I can fidn one cheap, ill just cut it up.
WSM
Level 2.0
Level 2.0

Post by WSM »

mrfreeze5 wrote:I found that armored payphone cable sheath. unfortunately it only comes in 1000 foot rolls for about $980.
I was just at Home Depot and saw some of the usual (non-armored) sheathing for a couple bucks a'foot.
It'll stop a pair of side cuts, or at least slow them down.
One thing I've learned in thievery: if the guy wants it, he'll find a way to get it... but making it look hard might to get him to walk by, looking for an easier job.
1998 FZR600
All Original, except for a custom saddlebag set up. A machine shop buddy of mine seamlessly fitted two GS bags on the rear end for last summers ride.
30,000+ odo
Fartblood
Level 4.5
Level 4.5

Post by Fartblood »

I'd love them to try and nick mine. Of course, in order to ride it away they'd have to completely finish rebuilding it first...
stan
Site Newbie

Post by stan »

a thief would have to be pretty well prepared to steal my bike. the battery is in my room with me :whistle

here's another anti-theft idea: wire up some sort of super loud noise maker that has the on-off switch hidden somewhere tough. if the bike is turned on with the switch on, ear piercing screeches ensue. might be enough to scare them off before they have the time to figure out how to make it stop.