How-To Get Rid of Rust in your Gas Tank

Any topic relating to the FZR/YZF (UK) or motorcycling in general.

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

coops
Level 1.5
Level 1.5

Re: How-To Get Rid of Rust in your Gas Tank

Post by coops »

That phosphoric based rust remover just keeps eating when it cant all be properly removed from seams and so forth. It will eat your seams out. Evaporust is better in situations like this. Its basically the same as the stuff you use to remove the rust before lining the tank. On that subject kreem is not so good. Caswells is the best tank liner. then por 15 is good too.
You can even use evaporust to protect tanks for storage. Just swill it about and poor out. Don't rinse.
Just keeping your tank full wont stop the rust. water will fall out and rust the low points in your tank. You need stabiliser or fuel conditioner in the fuel if you want to store a full tank for a while. I use fuel conditioner in all my bikes over winter and I do keep riding them I little.
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

coops wrote:That phosphoric based rust remover just keeps eating when it cant all be properly removed from seams and so forth. It will eat your seams out. Evaporust is better in situations like this. Its basically the same as the stuff you use to remove the rust before lining the tank. On that subject kreem is not so good. Caswells is the best tank liner. then por 15 is good too.
You can even use evaporust to protect tanks for storage. Just swill it about and poor out. Don't rinse.
Just keeping your tank full wont stop the rust. water will fall out and rust the low points in your tank. You need stabiliser or fuel conditioner in the fuel if you want to store a full tank for a while. I use fuel conditioner in all my bikes over winter and I do keep riding them I little.
Coops,
absolutely spot on with the acid treatment eating the seams.! :notworthy:

as for liners of any sort caswell, POR & Kreem the motorcycle internet is 95% horror stories where they have made bikers lives a misery . :swear
Do not get me wrong they probably will work BUT and it is a BIG BUT the secret is in meticulous preparation & a good sprinkling of luck..

If you have a rusty tank (all steel tanks will be because as you say there is water in our gas that settles out in time and rusts the bottom corners) but the tank has no holes it is far easier and need i say cheaper to convert the active iron oxide we call rust into inert black iron oxide which is a natural coating that stops rust.

Since the process is electrical you do not have to rely on chance to get to all the rust !

see:-
http://www.saltmine.org.uk/kgb/faqindx.html

2nd item in the list for FULL DETAILS and extensive explanation of the chemical process
RxRC
Site Newbie

Post by RxRC »

A great way to shake the tank up with the nuts inside is to put the whole thing in the clathes dryer. Easy! Then Muriatic acid and then naval jelly or equivalent.
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

Hi,
might i suggest using an old chain instead of nuts and bolts, and wrapping the tank in a blanket to preserve the paint.
Being as old as I am we used marbles for the job. **

for the youngsters here I had better explain that marbles were glass balls about 1/2" (12mm for you youngsters) made with pretty patterns inside with exotic name like Tiger eye, parrot tail .................
masterhacker1989
Site Newbie

Post by masterhacker1989 »

I take my tanks to the local radiator repair guy and he cleans and coats the insides in some kind of plastic sealer stuff for around $75, much better results than doing it your self plus the rust wont return, at least not anytime in the foreseeable future

if your going to do it your self the best way i found was using a cement mixer, wrap the tank in blankets and let it go nuts for a day or two
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

masterhacker1989 wrote:I take my tanks to the local radiator repair guy and he cleans and coats the insides in some kind of plastic sealer stuff for around $75, much better results than doing it your self plus the rust wont return, at least not anytime in the foreseeable future

if your going to do it your self the best way i found was using a cement mixer, wrap the tank in blankets and let it go nuts for a day or two
Hi,
welcome to the Forum, sorry about the delay but another intensive bash of physio has me very tired & busy.

You are extremely lucky to have that facility close by, most of us have can only rely on DIY .

Perhaps it might be an idea for others on the forum reading this to give your "man who can" name address and phone number either here or under the recommended dealers list
Thanks
h3x0r89
Site Newbie

Post by h3x0r89 »

nice tutorial