Helping thieves?

Any topic relating to the FZR/YZF (UK) or motorcycling in general.

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

Fartblood
Level 4.5
Level 4.5

Re: Helping thieves?

Post by Fartblood »

yamaha_george wrote:Guys & Girls,
When you take a photo of your bike EITHER cover the number plate /tag OR photoshop it out PLEASE.
A cyber pal sent a picture of his newly finished creation to a list, 5 days later it was gone.

The low life was caught quite by accident in another state, how did he know to steal it YUP the photo with number plate used his 'puter to do atrace drove over the
line with apal put said bike in truck and GONE !

Smart enough to do all that but used afalse plate to go showing off with got pulled by the Deputies & is now doing time for crossing state lines grand theft auto.

Be warned you may not be so lucky.
Geo.
Fortunately for me, my vehicles are PNC blocked because of my job, so I can do it with impunity, safe in the knowledge that some thieving scumbag somewhere is pulling his hair out trying to trace my bike.
DEMORAL1ZE
100+ Posts
100+ Posts
Location: SOUTHEAST MISSOURI--------LAND OF THE FREE, HOME OF THE BRAVE

Post by DEMORAL1ZE »

I can open almost any lock with my set of BUMP KEYS i bought from a local lock smith/tow truck driver friend. And im not that smart. Inside is always best.....
YOU CAN TWIST PERCEPTION BUT REALITY WON'T BUDGE
shift
Level 1.5
Level 1.5

Post by shift »

personally, i don't buy into the whole "someone can get your tag # and track to where you live" myth. my roommate is a state police officer and has friends in the county police and city too. they all agree that your tags cannot be traced by just anyone. this person has to have illegal software/access/etc to find out your address simply from a plate. pretty unlikely.

not to mention, if a thief has this access, they can just ride down the street and look for plates. chances of a random bike on the web being within said perp's range is fairly slim. bike theft is an act of opportunity. until i see an article written up professionally about thieves finding bikes via plate number, i don't believe the paranoia.

JUY-5788 virginia

there's my plate # and state. can anyone tell me something about where i live? i know you can see i live in leesburg, so that doesn't count! lol....
..........................................................shitf.............................c3po...................next.victim............................................................
to see some of my ride videos, click the link: http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=b ... oogle.com#
may 2009: my 88 fzr 400 sets a speed record at the maxton mile: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlOk-6aUsKc
mrfreeze5
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by mrfreeze5 »

shift wrote:personally, i don't buy into the whole "someone can get your tag # and track to where you live" myth. my roommate is a state police officer and has friends in the county police and city too. they all agree that your tags cannot be traced by just anyone. this person has to have illegal software/access/etc to find out your address simply from a plate. pretty unlikely.

not to mention, if a thief has this access, they can just ride down the street and look for plates. chances of a random bike on the web being within said perp's range is fairly slim. bike theft is an act of opportunity. until i see an article written up professionally about thieves finding bikes via plate number, i don't believe the paranoia.

JUY-5788 virginia

there's my plate # and state. can anyone tell me something about where i live? i know you can see i live in leesburg, so that doesn't count! lol....
I agree, you have to have connections to trace a plate, but tell me organized crime doesnt have these kinds of connections. Gangs with money can find that info for a few bucks, steal a bike, and hack it for parts and make back their money tenfold.

I have heard of situations where people have had their Jeeps stolen by their VIN number. They take the VIN and order a replacement key from the factory and never have to break anything in the truck. This isnt as common now with transponder keys and older vehicles not being able to get keys direct from the factory, but it has happened.

I wired a local dealership for security cameras last year. I went back to do some service and they showed me this video of a ATV getting jacked. A pickup truck pulled into the lot and backed into a parking space behind the ATV. It was about 6' from the lot on a concrete pad/pedestal. One guy came walking over browsing a few bikes outside and acting as lookout. the other guy pulled out 2 aluminum ramps from the bed, popped the thing in N and rolled it up in the truck. The other guy jumped back in and off they went. Took 45 seconds or so. This was in broad daylight in a busy area. Unfortunately the cameras were not at quite the right angles to catch a plate and they got away free and clear. (Not my fault, thats how they wanted the cameras. I told em so!) We ended up moving some cameras around to give them better coverage, but it was too late. thieves are bold and it really doesnt take much to get away with it. Ive got the video saved somewhere if I can ever find my damn work jump drive.
megaloxana
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by megaloxana »

There are a ton of online services that will track license plates for you for a small fee.
'92 FZR 600
Airtech R1 kit \*/ 520 conversion \*/ 14F-47R gearing
K&N pod filters \*/ Stage 3 jet kit \*/ Factory Pro shift kit \*/ Full V&H SS exhaust
Custom '02 R6 undertail \*/ YZF gas tank \*/ Raised via dogbones \*/ custom flush turnsignals
Full R6 brake set-up \*/ SS lines \*/ Progressive fork springs \*/ ZX2 coilpack

ADD YOURSELF TO THE OFFICIAL FZRONLINE GOOGLE EARTH MAP :bunny :banjoman
shift
Level 1.5
Level 1.5

Post by shift »

after searching, there are a few out there.

but really, the whole concept of someone tracking your bike down because they saw it on the net seems pretty weak to me. if thieves were really tracking plates, i would imagine they would just watch for nice bikes while driving around on the street. not find 'em on the net and hope that they are within decent driving distance. not to mention, hope that the bike is unsecured or not too difficult to obtain.

now i'm not knocking anyone's bike on here, and as a fellow fzr owner, i would imagine bike thieves to be going after late model bikes, not bikes from the 90's unless they are rare collectibles. just my perspective. but hey, i suppose anything is possible....

considering anyone can get my plate number as i drive around, i'm not worried.

whether you own an 09 r1 or an old beater, if you keep it outside, you'd best keep it locked to something. not just a rotor lock or other "thief slower downers". also, keep a cover over it.
..........................................................shitf.............................c3po...................next.victim............................................................
to see some of my ride videos, click the link: http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=b ... oogle.com#
may 2009: my 88 fzr 400 sets a speed record at the maxton mile: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlOk-6aUsKc
PIMPMYFZR
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Post by PIMPMYFZR »

ive got chain going thru rear wheel swingarm to a metal post , with a rear disk lock , front got steel cable with disk lock on front and setup so the bike cant go forward or backwards with both on , the rear disk lock also has an alarm but sounds like a whistle .. jap alarm set on the highest sensitivity , and a cover plus i keep the bedroom window cracked open at night .. and a 40 cal CZ with a round in the chamber plus my digi cam becuase god forbid i catch some f*ck tryin get off with my shit in the middle of the night .. i figure like this ... if i do come out in the process by the time i dial 911 they will probably allready be off with my bike by the time dispatch actually sends out the call .. so its about 200 yards from my bedroom to my bike under the carport , i dont have direct access have to go thru a main door , but my back sliding door is easier and more discreet so they wont even see me coming but if the situation ever does arise im shooting at/into the truck first so that he skirts off and leaves his homeboy behind as for the homeboy i will pop :nopic him in the knees <both> then talk to him <kicking him in the head > about how its not nice to steal ppls bikes ..

Hopefully though this situation doesnt ever come to light .. because i dont want to be calling my lawyer .. lol

i know this was just about not showing ur plate online just felt like ranting alittle bit ..sorry
2002 R1 9k miles , Hotbodies undertail , Chopped Hindle Hi Mount , Solo Seat cowl,Frame sliders, little yellow yamaha wheel stickers .hehe
94' 600RR SOLD**
hid xenon
airtek solo tail
time for a 1000
R.I.P DaD 2/17/09 Your in my <3 always
haunter
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by haunter »

mrfreeze5 wrote:
shift wrote:personally, i don't buy into the whole "someone can get your tag # and track to where you live" myth. my roommate is a state police officer and has friends in the county police and city too. they all agree that your tags cannot be traced by just anyone. this person has to have illegal software/access/etc to find out your address simply from a plate. pretty unlikely.

JUY-5788 virginia

I agree, you have to have connections to trace a plate, but tell me organized crime doesnt have these kinds of connections. Gangs with money can find that info for a few bucks, steal a bike, and hack it for parts and make back their money tenfold.

I have heard of situations where people have had their Jeeps stolen by their VIN number. They take the VIN and order a replacement key from the factory and never have to break anything in the truck. This isnt as common now with transponder keys and older vehicles not being able to get keys direct from the factory, but it has happened.

I wired a local dealership for security cameras last year. I went back to do some service and they showed me this video of a ATV getting jacked. A pickup truck pulled into the lot and backed into a parking space behind the ATV. It was about 6' from the lot on a concrete pad/pedestal. One guy came walking over browsing a few bikes outside and acting as lookout. the other guy pulled out 2 aluminum ramps from the bed, popped the thing in N and rolled it up in the truck. The other guy jumped back in and off they went. Took 45 seconds or so. This was in broad daylight in a busy area. Unfortunately the cameras were not at quite the right angles to catch a plate and they got away free and clear. (Not my fault, thats how they wanted the cameras. I told em so!) We ended up moving some cameras around to give them better coverage, but it was too late. thieves are bold and it really doesnt take much to get away with it. Ive got the video saved somewhere if I can ever find my damn work jump drive.

I'm with you guys. you cant theft proof anything truly anyways, but you can set em up to get caught with well placed cameras etc.

I leave my bike in front of my house uncovered allt he damn time. but there isnt alot of bike theft around here, and since its an SV and not a new GSXR I am sure I have alot less to worry about.

they also started in IL logging EVERY PLATE CHECK ran, period. I would alos guarentee that they will check to see if anyone ran a plate after a vehicle is stolen anyways, and that cop will have to have a good reason why
TomGun
Level 2.5
Level 2.5

Post by TomGun »

Luckily for us, in this part of New Hampshire, many people still leave their doors unlocked, and are generally very friendly and unafraid. However this is a (Heavily Armed State) as well. Most people pulling off crimes especially with a gun, would surely be gunned down by its citizenry. :shocker
Looking for a FZR 400 3TJ
1992 FZR 600 SOLD :-(
2001 Ducati ST4 916
Chipped, with Fast By Ferracci cans
The Yellow Duc Project

The lord tells me he can get me outta this mess but he tells me he's pretty sure your f***ed.
tkclow
Level 5.5
Level 5.5

Post by tkclow »

+1 Agreed
92 FZR600
Yoshimura RS-3 Carbon Fiber Slip-on
02 R6 Caliper and MC Swap with S/S Lines
Dual Headlight Upper Swap
Clear Taillight w/LED Bulbs
Vortex 520 Conversion 14/47 RK Gold Chain
Shinko 006 Podium 150/60/18 rear 110/70/17 Front
More To Come
the_finch
Level 8.5
Level 8.5

Post by the_finch »

TomGun wrote:Most people pulling off crimes especially with a gun, would surely be gunned down by its citizenry. :shocker
(Which is one of the main points of private gun ownership)

I live a little ways out from the main city and little towns i the area, so they'd have to know my bike is there (in a closed barn 1500 feet off into the woods) and usually have to make it past my intimidating-looking (but fairly harmless) Rottweiler/Labrador mix to get it. But in the end, if they want it, they'll get it, and that's one reason why I have comprehensive insurance on my bike. It gets stolen or totaled in a parking lot (a bigger problem than theft around here, because looks where they're going here), I get blue book value minus $100. Which should be enough for me to get another project FZR to get over my head with again. :whistle
1997 FZR600RJ

Engine: K&N Drop-in air filter - stock airbox - FP 5°ignition advancer - EBC "Street Racer" Kevlar clutch
Exhaust: Stock header - Yoshimura RS-3 Carbon fiber slip-on
Body: Original paint/graphics - Clear Alternatives integrated LED Taillight - Flanders' flush front signals - YZF600 Mirrors - Comp. Werkes Stainless fender eliminator/tag bracket - 60w/55w H4 headlights
Tires: Metzler MEZ4B 120/70 ZR17 Front - Michelin Madacam 100x 150/70 ZR18 Rear
Brakes:Stock rotors with EBC HH Sinstered pads
In the works: YZF600 header, '97 Bandit 600 rear wheel, DynoJet Stage 3, Racetech Springs and Emulators fork rebuild, FZ1 rear shock, YZF600 front MC, Galfer SS Lines, CFM rearsets
Soaringman
Site Newbie

Post by Soaringman »

like previous poster I live in an rural area, small town in canada, as sad as it is I leave my keys in the ignition of my bike, never lock my front door , havent taken the keys out of the truck in over a year. So I think it does depend were you live.

if I had a custom bike in LA somwhere similsr it would be a different story.

There is a small bike gang that frequents my neighbour hood (check pic ) maybe I should be a little concerened.

PS: Whent for a great ride tonight, Its 8 oclock here and 24 degress
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

Soaringman wrote:
There is a small bike gang that frequents my neighbour hood (check pic ) maybe I should be a little concerened.

PS: Whent for a great ride tonight, Its 8 oclock here and 24 degress
Sorry squire no picture arrives
reelrazor
Wrench
Wrench

Post by reelrazor »

yamaha_george wrote:Sorry squire no picture arrives
I see it, and it's pretty damn funny!

You've got six kids on bicycles, all in helmets...except for the lone rebel on the edge of the group with shorts, no shoes and NO helmet...

and I have to wonder if he'll be a sportbiker or a harley guy.....or maybe he'll just buy a "gixxer" !
http://www.michiganmobileservice.com/

“A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.”-Douglas Adams

http://www.youtube.com/user/reelrazor
TomGun
Level 2.5
Level 2.5

Post by TomGun »

Soaringman wrote: Image
It looks like the girl biker gang is protecting him from the the other boys in full gear. Calling him names like (squid) I think trouble is brewing in the hood. Be careful!! :thumbsup:

btw Big wave out to you from a fellow Canuck.
Looking for a FZR 400 3TJ
1992 FZR 600 SOLD :-(
2001 Ducati ST4 916
Chipped, with Fast By Ferracci cans
The Yellow Duc Project

The lord tells me he can get me outta this mess but he tells me he's pretty sure your f***ed.