Is this an 89 EXUP rim?

Any topic relating to the FZR/YZF (UK) or motorcycling in general.

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

great white
Site Newbie

Is this an 89 EXUP rim?

Post by great white »

Hi. I don't have a fizzer, but have several Yamaha's. I have a long history of Yammy's and cut my teeth so long ago racing RD350's at the local track (amateur class) and also riding them back and forth to school as a pup.

I'm currently converting my 89 FJ1200 to radials and have snagged an FZR1000 rim for the rear. I already have an 88 FZR750 rim for the front, which is pretty much a bolt on for an 89 FJ. The 89 comes with a 17" rim, but only 3.00 wide. The FZR750 bumps it up to 3.50 so it will better accept a 120 radial.

The FZR1000 rim I bought it off ebay, but no year was listed.

Other parts off the bike he has listed have "90 FZR1000" written on them in paint pen but still no year in the listings.

However, the size markings on the rim are like the the 18" FZR1000 rims (markings on the outer hoop, not the spokes). All I can find for pictures of 17X5.50 FZR rims is markings on the spokes.

All the 1990 rims I can find in pictures have the markings on the spokes.

I'm thinking I've got an 89 FZR1000 rim, but can't find any pictures of one to confirm it.

Anyone know what I've got on my hands here? 89 Rim or ?

I know it's not 88 and down, that would be an 18". Thing that's throwing me is all the later ones seem to have the rim markings on the spokes.

I only paid 35 bucks off ebay, so no worries on money lost.

:)
Kevadlilleke
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Re: Is this an 89 EXUP rim?

Post by Kevadlilleke »

It looks like a 89-90 FZR1000 rim. Also by the amount of weights it looks like you should have the wheel at least checked for straightness, likely straightened.
1990 FZR 1000, 1993 engine, terrible state... but improving.
[Project thread] The Yellow FZR - 1990/1993 FZR1000
2012 Image Image 2013 Image 2014 Image
Stig
Level 3.5
Level 3.5

Post by Stig »

Not sure what you have but my bike is a 90 and as said the writing is on the spoke

If its not broken it dont need fixing

http://www.exup1000.co.uk
TomcatMJ
Level 2.5
Level 2.5

Post by TomcatMJ »

There should be an additional code on the rim,not the sizes...for a 400 it's "R-50" for example and names the concrete Rim-Type...not only the "J 18xMT4.00 DOT" which gives information about the size..
"The social dynamics of the net are a direct consequence of the fact that nobody has yet developed a Remote Strangulation Protocol." -- Larry Wall
Want Pics? Then have a look at my galleries...different topics: Bike and Car restauration, exhibitions, Trackdays (no, not me on the Track until now), carneval in cologne, other things.. ;)
great white
Site Newbie

Post by great white »

It's marked with an "r-62" which is fzr1000 of I'm correct....
TomcatMJ
Level 2.5
Level 2.5

Post by TomcatMJ »

You're correct, thats the Stock-Rim for FZR 1000 EXUP Type 3LE/3GM Modelyears 89 to 95 ;)
I had crosschecked it against the Rim+Bearring List (interesting for getting the proper values for Aftermarket-Bearrings) of the german FZR-Forum, available at http://www.fzr-forum.de/wbb/index.php/T ... C3%BChren/ ... ;)
"The social dynamics of the net are a direct consequence of the fact that nobody has yet developed a Remote Strangulation Protocol." -- Larry Wall
Want Pics? Then have a look at my galleries...different topics: Bike and Car restauration, exhibitions, Trackdays (no, not me on the Track until now), carneval in cologne, other things.. ;)
Stig
Level 3.5
Level 3.5

Post by Stig »

Can't find any further info on my wheel. Had a good check

Btw, the German FZR link is blocked to non members

TomcatMJ
Level 2.5
Level 2.5

Post by TomcatMJ »

Stig wrote: Btw, the German FZR link is blocked to non members
Oh, hm...maybe the List should be transfered by me if someone is interested in getting Infos about Bearringsizes instead of using OEM-Bearrings? ;)
Stig
Level 3.5
Level 3.5

Post by Stig »

The bearing size chart would be very useful

TomcatMJ
Level 2.5
Level 2.5

Post by TomcatMJ »

Hm, i'm just receiving a "memory exceeded" Message when trying to login to the wiki...
Additional i don't know if the wiki would take html-code directly for the tables,but will see if i could manage to login in the next days...if not i'll put the translated Bearringtable up somewhere else in the Net and link it here ;)

Edit: If one of the Siteadmins will read it here:

Code: Select all

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 134217728 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 40 bytes) in /home/fzronline/webapps/fzronline14/wiki/lib/plugins/authplain/auth.php on line 316
was the concrete Errormessage...thats obviously a result of a litle bit too narrow mem_limit value inside php.config of the virtual hosts configuration ;)