Coolants - Water vs Premixed vs Water Wetter

Any topic relating to the FZR/YZF (UK) or motorcycling in general.

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

What is your choice of coolent during the summer months

50% Glycol/50% water (ie. Premixed)
48%
50/50 + (WaterWetter or Royal Purple)
8%
Water Only
4%
Water + WaterWetter
15%
Engine Ice Hi-Performance Coolant
15%
Other combination
10%

Total votes: 73

KaspenOne
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Re: Coolants - Water vs Premixed vs Water Wetter

Post by KaspenOne »

water wetter been using it for all my coolant flushes and i haventhad a problem yet, motorcyles, atv, it keeos the engine cool even when im working on the bikes in the shop :drink:
Sal Co-Owner of SisBro Motowerkz, Santa Maria
Pacific Coast Riderz -Vice President- Santa Maria Chapter
1996 Yamaha Fzr 600
UNI Air Filter, FP 1.0, R6 header danmoto exhaust,
Orbit Chain 530 with JT Sprocket Set -1 front/+2 rear
Racetech Front suspension
Bridgestone BT-014 120/70/17 & 150/60/18
http://www.facebook.com/Salvador.Leal.Jr
http://www.youtube.com/user/KaspenOne
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Pacific-C ... 9453630808 & http://www.facebook.com/pcr805
Evilchicken0
Level 3.5
Level 3.5

Post by Evilchicken0 »

I use a approx 1/3 coolant to distilled water. I put a Muzzy fan on my bike, the original plastic fan runs close to the pipes and can melt. The aluminium Muzzy has more blades with a bigger area too.
Don't read everything you believe
FZR400RR 3TJ Bimota SB6
Kevadlilleke
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by Kevadlilleke »

I use premixed (if that's the term for "comes in a canister") long-life antifreeze for aluminium alloy engines (freezing point lower than -37 C), because I don't want to drain the bike for winter. And the antifreeze has better lubrication capabilities and higher boiling point than water anyway.
1990 FZR 1000, 1993 engine, terrible state... but improving.
[Project thread] The Yellow FZR - 1990/1993 FZR1000
2012 Image Image 2013 Image 2014 Image
willandrip
Level 7.0
Level 7.0

Post by willandrip »

33% Inhibited Ethylene Glycol water mix.
5 year service life.
Sent from my keyboard using the English language not some teen text shite from a fooking phone.
Lorenzai
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by Lorenzai »

I run water only. I've ridden in several 90+ degree days lately and my temperature gauge never goes above 1/2 on the gauge, even in stop and go traffic. My fan is not even plugged in and honestly I've never needed it anyway.
1992 FZR 600R - First real motorcycle. A maintenance nightmare. I still love her though.
willandrip
Level 7.0
Level 7.0

Post by willandrip »

Lorenzai wrote:I run water only. I've ridden in several 90+ degree days lately and my temperature gauge never goes above 1/2 on the gauge, even in stop and go traffic. My fan is not even plugged in and honestly I've never needed it anyway.
You do know that plain water will corrode components in FZR engines ?

Not only is antifreeze for preventing temperature damage, it has lubricational (for the water pump seals) and anti corrosion additives. (steel water pump impellor shaft and any ally surfaces {all engine internal cooling passages})

It also has additives that help prevent rust/scale from adhering to the copper/ally radiator passageways.
You would notice this when an overdue coolant change is performed....the fluid has much rust and detritus
suspended in it......a reverse flush removes what the coolant was unable to contain.
Sent from my keyboard using the English language not some teen text shite from a fooking phone.
Lorenzai
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by Lorenzai »

It's not a permanent solution, I can acknowledge that. The reason why I'm running pretty much straight water is because when I first got the bike, it kept springing coolant leaks friggin' everywhere. I wasted 20-30 dollars worth of coolant on the garage floor and in the yard because the coolant tube popped an o ring 3 times and when I finally fixed it then the rubber hose itself blew out.
1992 FZR 600R - First real motorcycle. A maintenance nightmare. I still love her though.
DonTZ125

Post by DonTZ125 »

... and now that you've (apparently) sorted out your cooling system, swap it back for coolant. If you're going to run straight water, it REALLY should be distilled water (NOT kettle water, that just concentrates the crap!) with a cap of Water Wetter.