Total-loss Wiring Diagram - FZR600

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

DonTZ125

Total-loss Wiring Diagram - FZR600

Post by DonTZ125 »

We had a bit of a discussion over on the Archives; a fellow was looking for a racing wiring schematic, and I tossed out this old chestnut:

After a day or so of discussion on the pros and cons of this specimen, I was motivated to warm up the EagleCAD and came up with this:

(Rev.0 schematic deleted)

Update 23 March - Here's Rev 1, with several changes. I've added the option of a 20A main switch, and restored the self-test for the oil light (different modes for push start and electric start). There's a few other changes; everything new is in BLUE.

Thoughts or comments?
cowboi
Level 2.0
Level 2.0

Re: Total-loss Wiring Diagram

Post by cowboi »

Don that's a real nice diagram you have there. If I were to set up the Fzr for racing that would be the way I'd go. Hope you don't mind but I stole your images just in case. Lol

sent from a portable leash
When all other contingencies fail, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth......S.Holmes

78 CB750A
96 FZR600R
00 YZF R1
04 YZF R6
DonTZ125

Post by DonTZ125 »

What was that line about the sincerest form of flattery? :whistle :rofl:

Use it, love it, change it - that's why I posted it. If you have any suggestions to improve it, let me know. :cheers:
lawmer

Post by lawmer »

DonTZ125 wrote:What was that line about the sincerest form of flattery? :whistle :rofl:

Use it, love it, change it - that's why I posted it. If you have any suggestions to improve it, let me know. :cheers:
Don everything can be improved, I'm glad our bantering worked. I think you have this pretty much nailed. But if I find a fault well :Kick

na seriously very nice work.
olie05
Level 2.0
Level 2.0

Post by olie05 »

In wiring race cars we like to have a master cut off switch that cuts power to everything. Is this not the case on race bikes? Would it hurt to put the coil power on the other side of the switch?
DonTZ125

Post by DonTZ125 »

The only comment here is that wherever possible the components shown are the stock parts, a few connectors being the exceptions. The kill switch shown is the stock handlebar switch, which really isn't up to the load of the coils and doesn't carry it in the stock wiring. It would be a very small mod to add a 20A toggle or rocker switch between the battery and the 15A fuse.

There was some discussion on this over on the Archives; my suggestion was that since this was a racebike pulling the main fuse or unplugging the battery connector wouldn't be too arduous; no current flows through the coils unless the engine is running - a failed-shut driver on the TCI is VERY rare.
lawmer

Post by lawmer »

What should be noted here is.

This diagram is for a FZR 600.

Not a FZR400 or even a YZF600 those bikes are very different :cheers:
DonTZ125

Re: Total-loss Wiring Diagram - FZR600

Post by DonTZ125 »

Agreed; topic title updated.
lawmer

Post by lawmer »

DonTZ125 wrote:Agreed; topic title updated.
:tks:
DonTZ125

Post by DonTZ125 »

Update - Rev.1 schematic added to top post.
pefrey
Level 5.5
Level 5.5

Post by pefrey »

I'm sure I'd think that diagream is pretty cool if I could understand it LOL. I don't think I'm going to mess around with total loss but it is very cool that you posted this and are updating it as necessary.

:thumbsup:
DonTZ125

Post by DonTZ125 »

I think the diagram is fairly complete; certainly there haven't been any suggestions to modify it in a year or so! I tried to make it fairly Newfie-proof - apparently I didn't make it Joisy-proof! :grinnod:

What can I explain about it?
pefrey
Level 5.5
Level 5.5

Post by pefrey »

It looks good to me. If I look at it long enough I'm sure I can figure it out. I'm just not a wiring / electrical person so iat first glance it looks like spaghetti to me.

BTW it's impossible to make something Jersey proof. We're geniuses at stoopid. :grinnod:
thebook92
Site Newbie

Post by thebook92 »

Massive necro bump, I know. But does anyone happen to have a copy of the diagram here? I want to build a new harness for my bike that eliminates as much unnecessary wiring as possible and this would probably be a great place to start.
'95 600 "streetfighter" w/D&D exhaust
DonTZ125

Post by DonTZ125 »

As requested ...
FZR600 Race Wiring Rev1.jpg