Exl mj109 mesh jacket review

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

Dr Rockso
Level 1.5
Level 1.5

Exl mj109 mesh jacket review

Post by Dr Rockso »

i didn't like riding wearing only a t shirt , and most of the time in virginia it's too damn hot for leather so i started looking for a mesh jacket (that i could actually afford ) i came across these from exl (i got the black)

they sell em for $65 which isn't bad . it's got elbow/forearm armor , back armor , and shoulder armor . the stitching on the jacket is pretty good , and it fits pretty well . i tried it out for the first time today and it feels just like wearing a t shirt . comes with a water proof liner which i'll probably never use . there are water proof pockets in the jacket tho which is nice . as usual the forearm/elbow armor can move around in the arm because it's not a tight fit but thats to be expected . the one thing i didn't like is the shoulder armor , i had to remove it because it was making it hard to look over my shoulder and it made me look like a low budget super hero ...but other people might like em , guess it's a personal preference thing . either way even with the armor out in the shoulders there's large leather patches and some padding so it's better than nothing . all and all i would recommend this jacket to anyone that wants a little more protection than fruit of the loom has to offer but can't afford the name brand goodies .

they come in a few colors , here's where i got it , took about 3 days to get here .
http://www.motodirect.com/servlet/Categ ... sh+Jackets

ps. oh yeah , i got the first post in the gear section , i'm awesome .
Got busted plastics ??? go here : viewtopic.php?f=8&t=209
dans96fzr600
Site Newbie

Re: Exl mj109 mesh jacket review

Post by dans96fzr600 »

Thanks for the review and the link the price is much better than Joe Rocket etc! I just picked one up for my self cant wait for it to get here.
1996 Fzr 600
D&D Pipe
K&N Filter
Jetted Carbs
520 Sproket Conversion
Yes it moves well for a 600cc
Dr Rockso
Level 1.5
Level 1.5

Post by Dr Rockso »

cool , i forgot to mention the sizing is pretty accurate , i wear xl shirts and the jacket is an xl , fits like it should with a little breathing room . really it's the best looking cheap jacket i could find , so many of the other cheap ones look weird , this one looks like a much more expensive jacket .
dans96fzr600
Site Newbie

Post by dans96fzr600 »

Dr Rockso wrote:cool , i forgot to mention the sizing is pretty accurate , i wear xl shirts and the jacket is an xl , fits like it should with a little breathing room . really it's the best looking cheap jacket i could find , so many of the other cheap ones look weird , this one looks like a much more expensive jacket .
Yea I noticed that too some of the cheap ones I was looking at had skulls or tribal patterns or some thing like that. Or they had way to much reflective striping on them. This one is nice and plain just like I like it, I got the red and black one by the way.
1996 Fzr 600
D&D Pipe
K&N Filter
Jetted Carbs
520 Sproket Conversion
ThisEndUp
Level 1.5
Level 1.5

Post by ThisEndUp »

This is from last August.
Mesh jacket melted right through and into my arm during a get off.
A dead cow is man's best friend. ;)
'91 Yamaha FZR600
'09 Aprilia RS 125
'94 Ducati SS/CR 900
'75 Yamaha RD/TD350
'73 Suzuki TR500 Replica
Dr Rockso
Level 1.5
Level 1.5

Post by Dr Rockso »

still better than skin to road . it gets humid as hell in va , too hot and humid for leather . either way it's better than a t shirt .
dans96fzr600
Site Newbie

Post by dans96fzr600 »

Yea just think how it would have looked with out the jacket on! And DR said on a 95 degree day in TN I would be dead from trying to wear leather. So I will just wear the mesh and be as careful as I can on my FZR.
1996 Fzr 600
D&D Pipe
K&N Filter
Jetted Carbs
520 Sproket Conversion
Dr Rockso
Level 1.5
Level 1.5

Post by Dr Rockso »

oh , i forgot to mention , it also has a strip you sew into your pants so you can zip the jacket to your pants , and velcro waist straps . i keep thinking of stuff i forgot . the liner has a cell phone pocket . the wrists have velcro straps and a zipper with a water proof expansion . the main zipper has a water proof flap behind it , tho sometimes the zipper gets stuck on it if you zip up quick . 2 water proof pockets on the gut area , one water proof pocket on the inside , fleece (or something like it ) collar . i think thats about it .
ShogunTX
Level 4.5
Level 4.5

Post by ShogunTX »

Good grief man not so close on the close up WOOT

All things considered I would rather have mesh burned in than flesh burned off, but that still looks aweful.
bweight
Level 4.0
Level 4.0

Post by bweight »

ShogunTX wrote:

All things considered I would rather have mesh burned in than flesh burned off, but that still looks aweful.
You mean like this?

That's why I won't wear a T-shirt anymore while riding.. I bought this jacket now:

Yep, it's mesh, but I still think it'll be better off than riding in just a T-shirt again.

Sorry for thread-jacking 8-)
89 FZR 400
Custom Paintjob
600 plastics.
06 - R6 Shock
FZR600 Motor
Polished Frame & Engine Covers

Soon to be:
Broke........

FZROnline.com Decals. Get yours Now!!!
ThisEndUp
Level 1.5
Level 1.5

Post by ThisEndUp »

Sorry for the extreme close up, self taken shot. :D

That wound was not just the mesh jacket melting through , but the road eating my arm. Mesh isn't worth a damn. Well maybe if you fall off your bicycle it'll help.

Can't beat leather for protection.

....and riding with just a t-shirt.....oh, man, I'm cringing. I couldn't imagine how much of your body will be destroyed when you fall off.

OK, I'll stop preaching now. ;)
'91 Yamaha FZR600
'09 Aprilia RS 125
'94 Ducati SS/CR 900
'75 Yamaha RD/TD350
'73 Suzuki TR500 Replica
PIMPMYFZR
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Post by PIMPMYFZR »

man that sucks for real though im going to buy one of these jackets to i believe , but then again i was wearing a kenneth coal textile jacket and lowsided tryin make a left at intersection at like 30-40 mph , it thru me about 25 ft flat on my chest . burned the fabric off the forearm area but saved my skin .. bandana
2002 R1 9k miles , Hotbodies undertail , Chopped Hindle Hi Mount , Solo Seat cowl,Frame sliders, little yellow yamaha wheel stickers .hehe
94' 600RR SOLD**
hid xenon
airtek solo tail
time for a 1000
R.I.P DaD 2/17/09 Your in my <3 always