FZR Track Prep... on a budget!

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

smokinbunta
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

FZR Track Prep... on a budget!

Post by smokinbunta »

so... my 92 600 has about 34K on it now. I'd like to prep it for possible trackdays next season, but having just opened a small restaurant with my family, i dont really have much of any income...so obvisously... new bike or big rebuilds r outta the question. I know i would have no problem keeping up in the novice - beginning intermediate my roommate has gotten him self a 99R6 and i can just about run him down in turns...but to make the bike more track worthy...

what im thinkin....
1: get ride of my aluminum sprocket and get another steel 1, maybe run a 14/46 + 520
*sprockets
*chain

2: solid carb tune- and im not good at this at all
3: valve check?
4: brake pads- do i need rotors too? < which i realized r expensive
5: id like to upgrade to yzf front end- or would revalving the stock be cheaper?

now is there anything else i might need? cause i still need to buy leathers, boots, and new helmet just so i can track. is all the bike stuff possible to be done under $1000? or maybe closer to $500 is what i could really afford right now.... i know its a pretty dam low budget.... it almost doesnt even sound possible in my own head.. but i realy have no clue with the cost right now.

Thanks,
Ray
ragedigital
4000+ Posts
4000+ Posts

Re: FZR Track Prep... on a budget!

Post by ragedigital »

Why get rid of the aluminum sprocket? Is it worn out?

Until you're running with the Intermediate pack (and not in last) concentrate on using the best tires you can afford and get some decent leathers, helmet, gloves, boots etc... Hell, your Track Day clothing will be $1000.

Definitely check your pads and any other items that may have worn. Use a thicker fork oil and longer space if need be, but don't worry about changing out the front end.

If you're serious about Track Days invest in a newer bike... I love the FZR, but it has serious limitations for tire choices, suspension upgrades, crash protection, etc...

darrin
Thanks for joining and participating in the most "active" FZR Community on the internet!
smokinbunta
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by smokinbunta »

yea... the sprockets pretty worn... im sure it has to do with my crappy chain care... but u dont think i need any work on the motor? atleast the TLC like carb/ valve tuning? cause when my roommate still had his FZR we didnt know exact mileage but it was some where just below 20k and his motor was a ton more crisp then mine had ever been...
ragedigital
4000+ Posts
4000+ Posts

Post by ragedigital »

smokinbunta wrote:but u dont think i need any work on the motor? atleast the TLC like carb/ valve tuning? cause when my roommate still had his FZR we didnt know exact mileage but it was some where just below 20k and his motor was a ton more crisp then mine had ever been...
Certainly tune the motor. It's hard to tell what may be wrong with your bike. It's got a lot of mileage on it, so I wouldn't throw a ton of money at it.

You might want to consider selling the FZR for an older generation R6, GSXR600 or ZX6. Those bikes will have updated components, etc... and now is a good time to buy.

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/mcy/1934105686.html

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/mcy/1975690244.html
Thanks for joining and participating in the most "active" FZR Community on the internet!
sweekster
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by sweekster »

smokinbunta wrote: what im thinkin....
1: get ride of my aluminum sprocket and get another steel 1,
Normally I would agree with this as I'm one for longevity BUT the point of going around the track is make quick efficient lap times. The less time it takes to get back to the start/finish line the better. Steel sprockets will probably not be beneficial in a track situation. Reason being, they weigh more than the aluminum versions. Going even further, couple this with a 520 chain with more aggressive gearing (for example) and you have less unspring weight on your back wheel allowing the bike to more just that much quicker.
my2cents
Duane...
Bike:
1994 Yamaha FZR 1000 EXUP
Factory Pro Stage 1 Jetting | K&N Filter | Corbin Seat | ProTek Keyless Gas Cap | GSXR Mirrors
My Thread
Cage:
2005 Saab 9-7x 5.3i Arc AWD

THE WIKI IS YOUR FRIEND
THE SEARCH IS YOUR SIGNIFICANT OTHER
USE THEM!!
smokinbunta
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by smokinbunta »

ragedigital wrote:
smokinbunta wrote:but u dont think i need any work on the motor? atleast the TLC like carb/ valve tuning? cause when my roommate still had his FZR we didnt know exact mileage but it was some where just below 20k and his motor was a ton more crisp then mine had ever been...
Certainly tune the motor. It's hard to tell what may be wrong with your bike. It's got a lot of mileage on it, so I wouldn't throw a ton of money at it.

You might want to consider selling the FZR for an older generation R6, GSXR600 or ZX6. Those bikes will have updated components, etc... and now is a good time to buy.

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/mcy/1934105686.html

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/mcy/1975690244.html
those bikes r sweet deals!! but gettin a new bike next season is defiantly outta the question... i couldnt get more then 16-1800 outta mine i dont think..that extra 1000 would be needed for gear + the fact that i kinda have my heart set on a 06 gsxr 6 or 750 for my next bike..lol.. so i gotta save up them pennies...

i belive the motor just needs a good tune but im debating if i wanna just take it to a shop for it.. i have no idea what they would charge tho, the tranny is a different story. ive got the ol second gear gremlin. ima throw an EBC clutch in there to see what itll do (roommates got 1 sittin around that was for his FZR) if anything ill have a better grippin clutch. but i think either way ima gonna get the chain n sprockets, i wanna gear it down a tad.

ok so...narrowing it down
*tune
*chain/ sprockets
*brakes
*n maybe some weight reduction in the mid region again....
ragedigital
4000+ Posts
4000+ Posts

Post by ragedigital »

The shop will probably charge $50 for each carb kit, plus another $350 for labor (rebuild/tune). Trust me, they will most likely tell you that unless you have them rebuild the carbs, if they're even willing to mess with them, that they will need to rebuild them.
smokinbunta wrote:*n maybe some weight reduction in the mid region again....
Unless you're racing and are consistent within a second each lap, the last thing you need to worry about is weight reduction. The best way to reduce unnecessary weight is to go on a personal diet...
sweekster
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by sweekster »

ragedigital wrote:
Unless you're racing and are consistent within a second each lap, the last thing you need to worry about is weight reduction. The best way to reduce unnecessary weight is to go on a personal diet...
I think that's what he meant :rofl:
Duane...
Bike:
1994 Yamaha FZR 1000 EXUP
Factory Pro Stage 1 Jetting | K&N Filter | Corbin Seat | ProTek Keyless Gas Cap | GSXR Mirrors
My Thread
Cage:
2005 Saab 9-7x 5.3i Arc AWD

THE WIKI IS YOUR FRIEND
THE SEARCH IS YOUR SIGNIFICANT OTHER
USE THEM!!
ragedigital
4000+ Posts
4000+ Posts

Post by ragedigital »

sweekster wrote:I think that's what he meant
Lord knows that's my biggest opportunity to shave 20 pounds.... ha!
smokinbunta
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by smokinbunta »

ragedigital wrote:The shop will probably charge $50 for each carb kit, plus another $350 for labor (rebuild/tune). Trust me, they will most likely tell you that unless you have them rebuild the carbs, if they're even willing to mess with them, that they will need to rebuild them.

thats actually was i was refering to...lol

and yea... i kinda figured that the shop would want to up sell and do everything... so unless i had the money...that its be out on the list too....i was checking my chain again last night its bad that its got side to side movement between the inside of the chain and the sprocket right?
China_Racer_1
Level 5.0
Level 5.0

Post by China_Racer_1 »

What size are you? I have 4 sets of leathers and at least 3 sets of boots and I just quit racing.

Send me a PM with what you need to get on the track and I will see what I have to help ya out bro.

I might hav another back protector here as well. I had 2 or 3 of those at one point in time as well.
Gloves.. hmmmm I think I will keep the gloves I have. but Imight have an older pair I stopped using from slight wear that are still serviceable.

PM me, like I said.

Steve
Commander_Chaos
Site Newbie

Post by Commander_Chaos »

Nothing wrong with the FZR as a track bike. That's what I bought mine for (didn't know a thing about them at the time) and have since bought 2 more. Great to learn on, and once you've prepped it for the track, you can go straight into vintage racing (hint, hint).

Once it's taped, wired, working properly, and maintenance is up to snuff, your quickest and cheapest route to lower lap times is taking riding schools. Riding ability is everything. If you and Ben Spies swapped bikes he'd whoop you good and proper.
Target30
Level 7.5
Level 7.5

Post by Target30 »

There is a plethora of information on carbs in the wiki. it truly isnt as hard as you think. there is not much to them. I was skeptical when i first took mine out, but even without a guide, you can figure it out. read through them, print them out or have your computer handy, you can pull them, clean them out, and get them back in in a couple of hours, trust me. that will save you a descent amount of cash. you can even build your own sync tool for almost nothing.
I did that.

"(12:38:42) sweekster: i work when i want because i'm sweeks"
771doug
Site Newbie

Post by 771doug »

Commander_Chaos wrote:Once it's taped, wired, working properly, and maintenance is up to snuff, your quickest and cheapest route to lower lap times is taking riding schools.
Yup. Concentrate on making sure the bike is safe and reliable. At that point you can work on technique. Before you know it, the lap times will begin to drop significantly.
fzrbrandon
Level 7.5
Level 7.5

Post by fzrbrandon »

If you've never been on a track before, the last thing you need to worry about is how quick your bike is. As previously mentioned, just make sure it's safe (brakes, chain, possible valve adjustment). For a track day, you probably won't need to have the bike safety-wired. You probably won't need to run Water Wetter either. You really should though. The last thing you want is for the crew to shut the track down for a half-hour while they clean up the coolant that spills all over the track if you crash. Don't worry about going fast. Hook up with some guys who properly know their way around and try to learn the preferred lines. The speed will come later.

Oh, the bike... You may also want to consider getting an NRC (or equivalent) cover for the starter clutch because the last thing you want... yada yada yada (same as the coolant but with oil this time). And finally, it sure would suck to trash that beautiful paint job if you do go down. Maybe try to scrounge up some not so pretty bodywork? :headbang:

Track riding is a blast and you'll have loads of fun. Just remember that things happen a little quicker! :grinnod:
Image Image

92 FZR600 - 3EN2 400 swingarm, Micron, DynoJet, Factory Pro, K&N, R6 shock, RT springs/emulators, R6 MC, Galfer, YZF calipers, Vortex, RK, YZF/R6 VR/R, Vortex, Zero Gravity

90 FZR400 - Sharkskinz, D&D, Sudco, DynoJet, Factory Pro, Ohlins, RT springs/emulators, JEM Machine, Woodcraft, NRC, Galfer, Vortex, RK, YZF/R6 VR/R, Vortex, Lockhart Phillips

89 FZR600 - Vance & Hines, DynoJet, Zero Gravity - sold in '91

http://www.fzrbrandon.com

!!! 400 & 600 Parts For Sale !!! viewtopic.php?f=18&t=9971