front end rebuild

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

mossy1200
Level 5.0
Level 5.0

front end rebuild

Post by mossy1200 »

Full front end rebuild . Upspec the front end with emulators, linear springs weighted for my 85kg , preload spacers and Ohlins oil

Damper rods assembled into the forks in such a way that they are concentric with the centre line of the main fork tubes. That means there is never an issue with sealing of the piston ring at the top of the damper rod and the emulator will sit correctly on it, creating more controlled bleed. So we will machine the ends of the damper rods and be very pedantic about assembly alignment. Further to that we will modify the emulator itself to improve brake dive control, specific to road racing. Rebound control also comes in for a lot of attention, that involves fine tuning rebound bleed hole size in the damper rods.

Should find me faster lap times as the bike is now beyond standard front end.Gunna cost $1000 so hope shes worth it.
haunter
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Re: front end rebuild

Post by haunter »

nice!!!

I love my gold valve forks on my SV!
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

mossy1200 wrote:Full front end rebuild . Upspec the front end with emulators, linear springs weighted for my 85kg , preload spacers and Ohlins oil

Damper rods assembled into the forks in such a way that they are concentric with the centre line of the main fork tubes. That means there is never an issue with sealing of the piston ring at the top of the damper rod and the emulator will sit correctly on it, creating more controlled bleed. So we will machine the ends of the damper rods and be very pedantic about assembly alignment. Further to that we will modify the emulator itself to improve brake dive control, specific to road racing. Rebound control also comes in for a lot of attention, that involves fine tuning rebound bleed hole size in the damper rods.

Should find me faster lap times as the bike is now beyond standard front end.Gunna cost $1000 so hope shes worth it.
Mossy,
did you talk to Greg @ ASR in victoria about your front end ideas?//
mossy1200
Level 5.0
Level 5.0

Post by mossy1200 »

yamaha_george wrote:
mossy1200 wrote:Full front end rebuild . Upspec the front end with emulators, linear springs weighted for my 85kg , preload spacers and Ohlins oil

Mossy,
did you talk to Greg @ ASR in victoria about your front end ideas?//
there was a free suspension test day so i loaded the fzr in the van and took it along.
Robert Taylor is doing the shocks and he is the NZ ohlins rep.
he builds all the f1 and f2 and protwin bikes in new Zealand and is well known for precision work.
my bike has been weighed along with myself and will be built to full race specs.

I couldnt help taking advantage of the deal as the bike shop is paying the first $300 as sponcership deal.
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

Cool, Nice if you can get it :-}

Jealous as Hell Y-G
mossy1200
Level 5.0
Level 5.0

Post by mossy1200 »

yamaha_george wrote:Cool, Nice if you can get it :-}

Jealous as Hell Y-G
The funny thing is that is very easy to get sponcership here if your approach is not pushy.
I found the way to go was detailed information of achievements and future goals.
Followed by a list of expenses with the projected cost run down of each of these.
my expectations were to get a hand with items on a shared cost basis but to my surprise the most expensive items got snapped up first and not just part but the complete cost.
At the point I started looking the bike shop was selling slicks at well below retail and the first sponcer decided to pay all the remainder which adds to about $2500 alone.
I have just secured a second bike shop sponcer who are doing dyno no cost and half price labour.
they have now decided to pay the first $300 of the front end race tech rebuild with ohlins rep and have offered to do the same when I am going to do ohlins rear.
Gotta save some coin first as the ohlins rep is suggesting ya828 as starting point modified with shims and custom spring and valves plus a later shaft with ride height adjustment.i know this sounds excessive but it gives me free track assistance at meatings and the ride height will mean i can set at stock height for wet and increase for dry riding without any effort.just twist and your good to go.
He has explained the although dog bones can do similar things that they load the shock outside the normal operation specs when the shock compresses which on the road makes little difference but on the track is not advised.So i will put the original dog bones in when i get the rear done.Total cost is $2000 NZD which is around $1300 usd and the first $300 will be free so its almost the same as importing a shock then getting a spring for my weight.

Front forks have reached ohlins rep today which isnt bad as they were removed 24hrs ago and he will start working on them tomorrow.

Dyno tune is half way through but without front end on bike has been put on hold until next week.
We have had to order new jets smaller than the dyno jet kit included.
Dyno jet recommend 138/142 main jet and we have ordered 122 and 125 as the smallest stage one jet was 128.
We now suspect that my head was skimmed at some point because my compression is very high hence the need to reduce jet sizes.
Also factored in is fuel air mixtures for road bikes tend to be rich as to protect against excess heat but race bikes dont heat as much as they travel fast so radiator runs colder with the high air flow.Even lean my temp guage sits at 1/3 and I seem to remember when i had 1000t on the road it got up to 2/3 in town at which stage the fan would start.

Wifes away and im bored hence the novel.
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

Mossy,
shredex wrote:yzf tank
I dont think this is a sale thread yet shred........... btw: dont you owe the bank..... :no

Ghetto man I really wanted to see this one finished out. Doesnt seem that you lack much and I have some parts left, and some unused from my R6 swaps that I would donate if that would help you finish. Pm me what you need.[/quote]

Yup it is always good when a plan comes together.
The down side of all this work is that you are no wiser about what the suspension internals are doing.

You will need to get his final settings at some point for your race note book (yes I know he is supposed to tune it each race etc but when the sponsership ends so does his tweeking).

You need those notes of every race and ALL the settings ( oil weight , quantity etc as a base line ) & the condition of the track temp, wet, dry etc.
That way when his sponsership dries up you have a baseline of rebound/ damping etc/ tyres/......
mossy1200
Level 5.0
Level 5.0

Post by mossy1200 »

yamaha_george wrote:Mossy,
I dont think this is a sale thread yet shred........... btw: dont you owe the bank..... :no

Ghetto man I really wanted to see this one finished out. Doesnt seem that you lack much and I have some parts left, and some unused from my R6 swaps that I would donate if that would help you finish. Pm me what you need.
Yup it is always good when a plan comes together.
The down side of all this work is that you are no wiser about what the suspension internals are doing.

You will need to get his final settings at some point for your race note book (yes I know he is supposed to tune it each race etc but when the sponsership ends so does his tweeking).

You need those notes of every race and ALL the settings ( oil weight , quantity etc as a base line ) & the condition of the track temp, wet, dry etc.
That way when his sponsership dries up you have a baseline of rebound/ damping etc/ tyres/......[/quote]
Hi george.
The ohlins rep attends ever race meeting and part of you deal includes set up advice etc.
The other thing is that there is only 3 tracks in North island and they have the same set up for each so adjustment once bike set up is minimal,
I think the fzr will become semi retired in the closs future as my sponcer is asking questions about formula one so i am resurching costs which seem to equal 40k per year.
Genesis
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by Genesis »

:worthlesswithoutpics:
1990 Yamaha FZR600 Genesis, Daily Driver
My FZR6 Rebuild

1985 GMC 4x4 T-15 X-Cab Sierra
1999 Chevy 4x4 Blazer (wifes car)

"If a man can build it, I can take it apart and sometimes even put it back together and fix it" --Unknown

"'I wish none of this had happened.' 'So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.....'" J.R.R. Tolkien
shredex
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by shredex »

yamaha_george wrote:Mossy,

how'd that get in here? lol

mossy, PICS!
mossy1200
Level 5.0
Level 5.0

Post by mossy1200 »

I could only give you pics of a bike with no front end as the forks are 400miles away being done by ohlins tech guy.When they come back they will look like they did before they went.Thats the whole point of postclassic racing.Make a bike thats 89 go faster than it ever ment to go while still looking 89.