Automatic Chain Lubrication

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

ragedigital
4000+ Posts
4000+ Posts

Re: Automatic Chain Lubrication

Post by ragedigital »

mawler wrote:Rage by misalignment you mean, an incorrectly adjusted rear wheel running off centre?
Absolutely. It wouldn't take much to have the chain tearing up modern aluminum rear sprockets.
Thanks for joining and participating in the most "active" FZR Community on the internet!
olie05
Level 2.0
Level 2.0

Post by olie05 »

mawler wrote: I.E. the FZR600 is capable of 140mph plus, how fast will the chain be moving? 300mph?
You bring up an interesting point about chain speed.

Assuming the velocity of the bike is 144 mph (fzr's top speed according to the wiki), then the speed of the chain wrt the bike will be around 52mph. Since part of the chain is going forward, the top part of the chain will be moving at 196mph wrt the ground, however you are also moving at 144mph with the bike, so from your perspective the chain is moving at 52mph.

The only part that I would like to clarify here is that the chain is moving by your leg at a MAX speed of 55 mph... NOT 300mph.
sleepyz0mby
Site Newbie

Post by sleepyz0mby »

i got a scottoiler form the uk about two years ago.

they are messy but it seemed to help on long long trips (1000+ miles) i dont think i would like lube constantly get thrown on the tire at the track though.

i never really kept track of mileage but it seemed to extend the life of the sprockets a bit and cut down on chain noise

it may pay for itself over time but well see. i may try too move it to the front sprocket to see if that cuts down on the mess.

*not for chrome wheels :)
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

sleepyz0mby wrote:i got a scottoiler form the uk about two years ago.

they are messy but it seemed to help on long long trips (1000+ miles) i dont think i would like lube constantly get thrown on the tire at the track though.

i never really kept track of mileage but it seemed to extend the life of the sprockets a bit and cut down on chain noise

it may pay for itself over time but well see. i may try too move it to the front sprocket to see if that cuts down on the mess.

Hi,
I thought scotts were very adjustable as to flow ?
thatkid

Post by thatkid »

yamaha_george wrote:
sleepyz0mby wrote:i got a scottoiler form the uk about two years ago.

Hi,
I thought scotts were very adjustable as to flow ?
Mines the latest vacuum type, they can even be switched off, on the older type just clamp the vacuum pipe. I certainly wouldn't use one on a track bike extra weight.

What I did learn by Darrins comment, was the O-ring and X-ring chains. I knew of them but didn't know what their purpose was, so I goggled it :cheers: My chain is a Gold DID 530 X-ring.