Rusted nuts/bolts will/does this work?

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

thatkid

Rusted nuts/bolts will/does this work?

Post by thatkid »

I've been looking for an entirely different product and came across this has anyone used it? does it work? sounds like it could.

Loctite Freeze & Release
haro504
Level 7.5
Level 7.5

Re: Rusted nuts/bolts will/does this work?

Post by haro504 »

man i want some of that it seems like it should work it would take care of needing a torch set
ones life is the way it is only because you allow it make it happen.
i poop my pants i poop my pants
thatkid

Post by thatkid »

Yeah i know, when I moved I had to sell my Oxy/Acetylene gear, no storage space. I'm guna buy some.
thatkid

Post by thatkid »

This stuff could have other uses, quickly freezing bearings to aid installation?
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

mawler wrote:I've been looking for an entirely different product and came across this has anyone used it? does it work? sounds like it could.

Loctite Freeze & Release
I know aguy in the electronics industry & fellow biker who uses the freeze stuff on bolts etc so yours may work.
Me I am acheap bugger and hoard old pepsi & coca cola for penetrating rust etc. In the workshop we had the chioice off Yamaha's patent carb cleaner & penetration liquid or the days "overs" of soft drink for such work.
Soft drink =FREE
Yamaha's goop= 160 bucks a bucket

with both you had to use copious amounts of water to be safe (one of my more "astute" mechanics left a set of carbs in for weekend the remains he got to keep suitably mounted on aboard in his work area to remind him not to be that foolish again.)
kilika2
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Post by kilika2 »

I don't know if anyone has tried this too, but I was playing around at work (imagine that) and I got out the IR thermal gun and some of that aresol dust remover in the can (you know the stuff that people spray on you and it causes instant frostbite). Anyway I shook the can up and turned it upside down and sprayed it out. Sure enough it went to -32 degrees F. (which is the lowest reading on my IR gun) The locktite stuff that you were showing said -43 F or something. Anyway I don't know their price but I get the dust remover for 2 bucks at Staples. Any thoughts?

Chris.
ImageImageImage
Before(5/5/09)_____________After(5/5/10)_____________Way After(8/1/10)

1995 FZR600 Sold :-(
2006 R1 Sold :-\
2009 Buell 1125R :-)
reelrazor
Wrench
Wrench

Post by reelrazor »

I know that at a turf equipment shop I worked at, we reserved heating red and then and quenching with COLD water-until no heat is left- the worst of seized parts (long collars on shafts as pivots..ungreased for years).

It was the same 'shock' factor...lots of times you could actually hear the "keeeenk" of the parts separating.

I do not know why going from ambient to cold really quickly would work any differently.

I say try it.

(ohh, and I do know for a fact that in SoCal in the 80's, many many Kryptonite locks -and other hardened lock materials- were frozen with AC recharge freon and then slapped with a hammer. They shatter pretty dramatically)
http://www.michiganmobileservice.com/

“A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.”-Douglas Adams

http://www.youtube.com/user/reelrazor
thatkid

Post by thatkid »

Geo I've read your coke/plasticine trick before (great advice), but I want seized nuts/bolts out Yesterday without snapping, especially exhaust studs why don't they use copper nuts on those? probably the extra cost.

Chris you have a good point there "dust remover" for $2, I've just checked Staples UK site no mention of the stuff. The only difference would be the Loctite stuff has a lubricant. Freeze with the dust remover then apply some lube (WD40?) Why is the likes of dielectric grease, seafoam, and the dust remover Not affordable/available in the UK banghead Best price I've found for dielectric grease (equivalent) is Here £5.95 delivered for a 70g tube.

I'm off tomorrow, to a local fasteners company (trade prices :)) maybe they stock the stuff. It's available on-line for £8 delivered for a 400ml can << pricey IMO. If it does work as fast and efficiently as they say then I would pay the £8. Definitely a good addition to the toolbox, I just wish I had a seized nut/bolt to try it on.
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

Mal,
try here:-
http://www.chilledpc.co.uk/shop/product ... cts_id=227

A photographers shop would have the chilled air or electronics supplier for the "freeze" spray for IC testing

Oh as aside note I squeezed my dia electric grease into a 10cc syringe perfect for getting it into the front & backm of the plugs & sockets on the bike.
thatkid

Post by thatkid »

I've already ordered the Dielectric Grease for £5.95, scandalous we can't go to a shop and buy the stuff.

Well I've found a cheaper equivalent (the freeze spray) Guess where it's located the price may provide a clue, Our Price: $3.52 it's probably plus shipping
http://hires.amazonwebstore.com/CRC-050 ... TFTH00.htm

Maplins have a freeze spray, only £7.49 for 400ml or only £5.99 for 200ml, oh well rip off Britain!
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

mawler wrote:I've already ordered the Dielectric Grease for £5.95, scandalous we can't go to a shop and buy the stuff.

Well I've found a cheaper equivalent (the freeze spray) Guess where it's located the price may provide a clue, Our Price: $3.52 it's probably plus shipping
http://hires.amazonwebstore.com/CRC-050 ... TFTH00.htm

Maplins have a freeze spray, only £7.49 for 400ml or only £5.99 for 200ml, oh well rip off Britain!
Mal,
the word Amazon would make that a non-starter for me having been ripped off by an amazon seller over an expensive book that I had to wait 7 months for Delivery in the UK and when it arrived it was damaged photo's to the seller got me no where, complaints to Amazon got damn all reply. In the end I used so very nasty underhand way to shake the tree and I got my money back. I then got a letter from Amazon telling me I could keep the book even though it was useless and I had my money back.
uptil now there has been no word of "sorry for the inconvenience over the 7 month wait (I had pals in Canada and Australia getting the book 4 & 5 months ahead of me.
Amazon more like "up the creak "
Fizzinatorr
Level 6.5
Level 6.5

Post by Fizzinatorr »

Whoever gets this please post a review

and video if you can of the first try
8 Bikes so far...more coming too...Image

Finished my 2000 GSXR 750 -> Link here viewtopic.php?f=68&t=3617
ahill
Site Newbie

Post by ahill »

try using PB Blaster. it penetrates and has worked miracles on some of my parts.