carbssss carbbbsss carbbsss ::help...::

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

McFizzer
Level 3.0
Level 3.0

carbssss carbbbsss carbbsss ::help...::

Post by McFizzer »

Okay where to start... Laid the baby down 2 months ago, replaced all the parts looks how she did...while I had her stripped her down I wanted to adjust the carbs because I was running rich below 3500....yes I know emulsion tubes. discover 2 out of 4 were worn pretty badly. dont have the money for it right now so I said screw it for now... Everything looked alright allthough there was some shit under the diaphrams on 3&4. cleaned that out. I have the stage 1 jet kit from FP (127.5/125 mains) stock PJ's. When I was resetting the Pilot screws I believe I counted 4.5 turns out on cylinder 1 and 3.5 on 2-4!! redicolous condiserdering I live at sea level...

Anyway, after a bench sync cleaned carbs and all screws set to 3 turns out and needle clip 2nd from top as they were, somethings missing. Running like shit(insert description) for those that have 1k's know if you nail her in the ass she'll practically rolled herself right from under you... this nothing.... its like driving a 400 to about 6k then it starts to pick up but sounds like its breaking up.

So you need a few things to make a motor work, fuel, spark, compression etc. went down my drawing board. Decided to take one of the IR guns we have at the shop and hit the headers. at idle 2-4 were between 380-430ish give or take. cylinder 1 at 180-220...

I replaced the plug and check for spark its all good. I had to order a new O-ring by the diaphram as I lost mine and was using something close that "worked" and I thought that had been the culprit. Replaced and nothing... same crap. I didn't check float height as the tabs looked untouched but I will when I get home along with a very throughal carb clean. I may also set them back to the 4.5 turns out on cylinder 1 and 3.5 to the others but that just seems so wrong that it be set up like that.

The bike ran like a champ before hand and now this.... i haven't done a compression test on the cylinder because I felt it was irrelevant for something that worked just peachy before hand.

Any advice?? to me it seems like cylinder one isn't getting enough fuel or theres a possible vaccum leak( all slides function as they should).

Sorry for the essay. Cheers
1992 FZR 1000
:Under serious re-construction:
sweekster
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Re: carbssss carbbbsss carbbsss ::help...::

Post by sweekster »

2 things...

1. FP stage 1 is 127.5 and 130 (that's what is in my bike)
2. There's no mention of dynamic synching (where you actually use a synch tool). Bench synching works against you in most cases-might wanna try actually synching the carbs.
Duane...
Bike:
1994 Yamaha FZR 1000 EXUP
Factory Pro Stage 1 Jetting | K&N Filter | Corbin Seat | ProTek Keyless Gas Cap | GSXR Mirrors
My Thread
Cage:
2005 Saab 9-7x 5.3i Arc AWD

THE WIKI IS YOUR FRIEND
THE SEARCH IS YOUR SIGNIFICANT OTHER
USE THEM!!
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

sweekster wrote:2 things...

1. FP stage 1 is 127.5 and 130 (that's what is in my bike)
2. There's no mention of dynamic synching (where you actually use a synch tool). Bench synching works against you in most cases-might wanna try actually synching the carbs.
Hi,
Sweekster is right as per usual he did forget there is a neat how to make a synch tool & using it How to in our WIKI
McFizzer
Level 3.0
Level 3.0

Post by McFizzer »

okay well considering this. A) the bike was running peachy with the set up of jets and also B) syncing... making sure all the butterfly valves open at the same time right? well why would 2,3,4 alll be at a right tempature and cylinder 1 be down so low. a vaccum sync is going to sort one cylinder? besides I thought the fact that it was 1&2 and 3&4 and then the two together.... I just dont understand how only one cylinder would be affected. not to mention that the idle is fine, if your not in get and rev her she doesn't stumble, rpms drop right down to where they should.
1992 FZR 1000
thatkid

Post by thatkid »

Sounds like an ignition fault to me. Poor Ignition (weak spark) causes misfires/hesitations under load. Does the 1k use waste spark? If so swap #1 & #4 plug leads, If #4 header runs cooler, its probably the plug lead or cap.
McFizzer
Level 3.0
Level 3.0

Post by McFizzer »

never thought about that. I'll give it a try. Right now Im doing the float height...
1992 FZR 1000
McFizzer
Level 3.0
Level 3.0

Post by McFizzer »

Bada fooking bing guys... Took the carbs off, inspect float height and that was dead on...took out all the jets and re cleaned them. Took some of my guitar string n ran it through the pilot jets,cleaned them some more assembled n put back together....

Took a few times to start to prime the float bowls....roar to life as usual... Pull out of my driveway n cross the railroad tracks.....nail it...(Moment of truth) my rear cold pilot pro started spinning, gripped and shot off like a bullet. The front tire was off the ground...never ran so good before...set my mixture screws at 2.5 turns out because I'm at sea level. Perfect linear power.... Ahhh I prayed to thee bike gods and gave them a sarcafical offering and they payed nicely =P hahah ohhh thanks guys, I'm pretty convinced it was those PJ's.. They looked pretty clogged up.

Looks like I just need 2nd gear now :(

Over n out...(2:30am EST)
1992 FZR 1000
chefen2006
Level 3.5
Level 3.5

Post by chefen2006 »

Ahhh I prayed to thee bike gods and gave them a sarcafical offering and they payed nicely =P hahah ohhh thanks guys :rofl: :rofl: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Thats the way to do it.I'm sure that is what made the diference. :udaman ClapHands :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Good thing you got the bike running again :headbang:
bikenut
Donating Member
Donating Member

Post by bikenut »

glad that worked out but just a friendly sugestion in the future never use a hard wire such as a guitar string in a carb. use only copper wire. thats a beautiful fzr dude im jealous.as for your second gear i blewtwo five speeds out of my 92 before i bought a 97 yzf 750r six speed and it was the best thing i ever did. now im not sayin the six gear is stronger but the ratios are better and lately ive seen a few gear sets on e-bay for around 4 to 5 hundred and to fix your five you need both the gears that dog together and the shift fork for second so its cheaper to put in the six. and while she is apart id change your hivo chain.good luck and love that bike looks like mine did before. :udaman
if i wanted your opinion i'd beat it outa ya

92 fzr 1040, 6 speed, ported and polished head shaved .005",modified 750 clutch basket,factory pro modified center clutch hub,ebc clutch and springs,dynojet stage three jet kit,cut airbox with k&n filter,wrapped header,vance and hines ss2r cut down for weight and backpressure,530 conversion -1 tooth on frt sprocket and 99 yzf r1 frt brake system= oh shit scary fast

82 porsche 911 sc
McFizzer
Level 3.0
Level 3.0

Post by McFizzer »

Thanks Nut I appericate it. I actually bought a YZF 750 6 spd trans. It's should be here this week. Looking foward to the improvements. Its really getting a complete makeover. From paint, engine rebuild, to sending out Nate various bits to powdercoat. I want my frame black like yours along with my swingarm, This polishing shit is a pain in the ass when you ride in the rain and have to polish the shit out of it to get the shine back....

How much different is the 1040 kit over stock? Im excited to see power gains there and in the YZF cams
1992 FZR 1000