Help Clutch Issues !!!!

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

robbo88
Site Newbie

Help Clutch Issues !!!!

Post by robbo88 »

Hi,

Just dragged my 89 exup out from solitary....(5 years standing,messy divorce etc etc) Its done about 23k miles.

It seemed to have lost all pressure and fluid from the clutch master cylinder ( however there is a poss that I did this before laying out...as I said ...bad time...) so I fit a new goodridge hose that I had, and bleed the clutch, except that I get to the point where the lever goes rock solid.I took the clutch plates out to see if the push rod is moving...its not...and the lever goes solid....take the release cylinder out its pushing hard against the recess in the sprocket cover ?....crack the bleed screw and push cylinder home, hey Presto....Lever now operating push rod , but not sure how much push rod movement I should get ? ,is pushing the release cylinder piston all the way in the best place to start ?.

Other dilemma is the actual clutch plates ....My original steel plates have small hole pattern on them,they seem flat enough and not blue, but the friction discs look a bit worn and my cushion spring is not dead flat ,and the pressure plate springs seem a tad short at 52 mm , so I 'm kinda talking myself in to a new clutch, except Lucky me ,I bought a shed full of spares off a loony drag racer and in amongst the bits is a newish looking clutch....Joy......well maybe...Out of the new plates 7 are the same....so far so good, two left , well the cushion spring will only fit inside the centre plate ...right ? so that should be ok.....however the last plate looks a bit like the centre plate, appears to have a red line on one of the pegs would I be right in thinking that is the outer friction plate that lines up with the two dots on the basket?....Red to indicate friction plate ,and blue for centre( as I said this one doesn't have any blue on it,but the cushion spring fits in ok)The steel plates are all spotless so it could be a very useful find ( it has no markings on it at all that would identify it )

Has any one fitted an after market clutch like this ?......I also found in the box a set of clutch springs...for the pressure plate...nice shiny new ones....but very short at 45mm.....unless none of its for a fzr after all ....hmmmmm

Any views on what sort of clutch or the release cylinder ...gratefully welcomed......

Cheers
Trouble rides a fast horse.
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Re: Help Clutch Issues !!!!

Post by yamaha_george »

The springs need to be within tolerance or they could drag the clutch when you are trying to disengage. for the rest see your intro mail.
bikenut
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: Help Clutch Issues !!!!

Post by bikenut »

clutch slave is toast
if i wanted your opinion i'd beat it outa ya

92 fzr 1040, 6 speed, ported and polished head shaved .005",modified 750 clutch basket,factory pro modified center clutch hub,ebc clutch and springs,dynojet stage three jet kit,cut airbox with k&n filter,wrapped header,vance and hines ss2r cut down for weight and backpressure,530 conversion -1 tooth on frt sprocket and 99 yzf r1 frt brake system= oh shit scary fast

82 porsche 911 sc