New Bike to Buy, Help!

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

akronos
Site Newbie

New Bike to Buy, Help!

Post by akronos »

Hello everyone, I found a fzr 1000 of 1989 to add to my collection. Has 40,000 KM and the owner asks me $ 1,000. What do you think?

TomcatMJ
Level 2.5
Level 2.5

Re: New Bike to Buy, Help!

Post by TomcatMJ »

Hm, some dents (especially the windshiled seems to be short before breaking in puzzle-parts, should be easily exchanged) and minor scratches, obviously given due to the bikes age, but seems not to have had a real accident...if the motor revs fine and the chassis (Wheelbearrings,Steeringheadbearrings Fork and Swing Arm bearrings) works well it's definitely worth the price, especially if the mileage is true (1,6 km=1 mile). Ask the seller for the last valve clearance check or adjustment as this should have happend around 4000 km ago if the service plan was kept in mind and check the age of the tyres before testriding (a testride is definitely needed for checking the motor+chassis) to avoid a smashdown during the ride;)
If everythings well then get it, otherwise check the price for proper repair and try to lower the sellers price a bit ;)
And ask the seller for Oilconsumption of the motor as thats an indicator how he rode it and it tells you about the state of the motor...
"The social dynamics of the net are a direct consequence of the fact that nobody has yet developed a Remote Strangulation Protocol." -- Larry Wall
Want Pics? Then have a look at my galleries...different topics: Bike and Car restauration, exhibitions, Trackdays (no, not me on the Track until now), carneval in cologne, other things.. ;)
akronos
Site Newbie

Re: New Bike to Buy, Help!

Post by akronos »

Hello everyone, I returned to write in this wonderful forum because I bought a new FZR 1000 genesis of 1987 with 75,000 km (50,000 miles). In Italy it is very difficult to find this type of bike, I've paid 700 $ and needs maintenance even though I think 50,000 miles are not many. My other fzr has touched 100,000 without problems and without special work to the engine! A few photos in a short while!