1990 FZR just wont crank, missing a relay

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

Nicos FZR
Site Newbie

1990 FZR just wont crank, missing a relay

Post by Nicos FZR »

I'm not sure what to think, my 1990 FZR 1000 has power, but will not spin the engine over, I don't even hear a click from my starter relay. what's the deal?

Also, I'm missing a 4 pin relay at the very rearmost point of my left side wire harness, behind two other relays and the fuse box. what does this relay at the end do?
TomcatMJ
Level 2.5
Level 2.5

Re: 1990 FZR just wont crank, missing a relay

Post by TomcatMJ »

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/detail/y ... 00-00.html <-This one?Thats also called "Diodematrix" and does the proper interpretation of the security-circuits like checking if the sidestand is active, if the neutral gear is active, if the clutch is dragges...and if this small part is absent or definitely defective (not only partial as a partial defect will give unpredictable results and not neccecary a complete fail of a try to start the motor) the motor is not able to fire up as the TCI doesn't get the allowance to fire up the ignitioncoils ;)
"The social dynamics of the net are a direct consequence of the fact that nobody has yet developed a Remote Strangulation Protocol." -- Larry Wall
Want Pics? Then have a look at my galleries...different topics: Bike and Car restauration, exhibitions, Trackdays (no, not me on the Track until now), carneval in cologne, other things.. ;)
Nicos FZR
Site Newbie

Post by Nicos FZR »

No, the one I'm looking for has 4 wires arranged in a square. I"ll take pictures when I have time. assuming I don't just decide to part the thing out first.
TomcatMJ
Level 2.5
Level 2.5

Post by TomcatMJ »

http://www.cmsnl.com/yamaha-fzr1000-199 ... gm8195010/ <-this one? Might be the flasher-relay...perhaps a checkup in the service manual might help,the chapter about cablerouting should show up which relay is seated in which position usually;)
"The social dynamics of the net are a direct consequence of the fact that nobody has yet developed a Remote Strangulation Protocol." -- Larry Wall
Want Pics? Then have a look at my galleries...different topics: Bike and Car restauration, exhibitions, Trackdays (no, not me on the Track until now), carneval in cologne, other things.. ;)
Nicos FZR
Site Newbie

Post by Nicos FZR »

I got it sorted. I have no gauges or drive chain, and forgot it was in first.. total newb move. I feel dumb. now the starter spins in reverse...... this bike is just so not worth my time. if it isn't one thing, its another.....
pictureman36
Site Newbie

1990 FZR - will not crank

Post by pictureman36 »

Hello, I have a similar problem. Recently bought an unwanted restoration project. I bought a '92 FZR1000RU from a guy in London UK. No battery on the bike but he turned it over on the starter using a jumper cable and all sounded good. Would not fire. It had no fuel and he said it needed carb strip. I've bought a new battery and fitted it. When you press the starter the oil light comes on but it does not crank. Everything seems to be there. Starter solenoid etc. Any Suggestions?

Cheers
TomcatMJ
Level 2.5
Level 2.5

Post by TomcatMJ »

Check the sidestand switch, clutchlever-switch, neutralgear-sensorswitch and the killswitch if each of them works properly. Just the oilwarninglight and nothing else when you press the start-button signs to one of the safety-circuits being active and suppressing the run of the startermotor ;)