Tethered kill switch type?

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

coops
Level 1.5
Level 1.5

Tethered kill switch type?

Post by coops »

Going to enter Burt Munro street race in November and must have tethered kill switch for this.
What type do I need? I think there is basically two types, normally open or closed. And do I just tap into the right handlebar kill switch? (I still have one)FZR1000 89
Got another race bike so I can run two classes. Costs the same at track but will get twice as much racing in. Heres a pic.
DonTZ125

Re: Tethered kill switch type?

Post by DonTZ125 »

If the "Normal" state is with the tether pulled, then you'd want the NO variant if you're tapping into the kill switch. Make sure it's rated for 10+ amps.
coops
Level 1.5
Level 1.5

Post by coops »

DonTZ125 wrote:If the "Normal" state is with the tether pulled, then you'd want the NO variant if you're tapping into the kill switch. Make sure it's rated for 10+ amps.
Thanks Don. That's a good question. What is "Normal"? I would expect normal is with the tether not pulled cos things aren't normal when you pull the thing lol
If that is the case, I will need N closed.
I will look into it, Cheers
DonTZ125

Post by DonTZ125 »

Hi, Coops.

For any spring-loaded switch, "normal" is in the relaxed position, with the spring extended. A relay is in the normal position when it is unpowered; the tether switch would be in the normal position when the tether wedge isn't forcing it into the 'powered' position.

You want Normally Open.