Running on 3 cylinders | 96 FZR 1000

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

Jordan_Ciaramitaro
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Re: Running on 3 cylinders | 96 FZR 1000

Post by Jordan_Ciaramitaro »

My apologies, I was referring to the stock BDST carbs. I missed the part where the OP was running on FCRs.

I may have my stock carbs up for sale soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
noodlemonkey
Site Newbie

Post by noodlemonkey »

First and foremost - Thank you everyone for your input and suggestions - Although an update is due.

Right - So my last update was that I had taken the bike into a bike shop which is the place to go when you're running Keihin FCR carbs. I took the bike there on Monday morning and they were happy to take it in - I had heard nothing back from them after saying they would begin Tuesday morning - Wednesday came and went and on Thursday I called to find out the progress - Turns out they hadn't even started on the bike - I was happy to have brought the bike when they had had space in the workshop - but they were quick to book it in,

So Friday Morning - Called again - Telling them to hold off on any work done to the bike, I'm coming to collect it.

Onwards towards my plan B - Find a set of standard carbs and get the bike back on the road until I found the patience to deal with tuning shops,
I started the search which lead me to a set of what seemed to be "clean" FZR 1000 carbs off a running bike which was broken up for spares,

Friday Afternoon I grabbed some cash and went off to see these so called "Clean" FZR 1000 carbs - Turns out they were nice and clean, complete and "ready to rumble" - I had the seller open one of the bowls to check the insides and it looked great.

RIGHT! - Now for the fun part - turns out i didn't just buy the incorrect carbs all together - they also have some DynaJet kit in them and they are worn to SH*T! - After some googling, the carbs I purchased are from a YZF 750/1000 - Although they fit on an FZR - their internals are a bit different,

Check out the pictures just for laughs.

The joke of a slide needle...

And the Egg shaped emulsion tubes...

Now for how the bike runs
So after almost wanting to throw the carbs in the bin - I decided I was going to check them out on the bike and see what happens - Bad Idea...

Firstly - they're running so rich - I'm sure neat petrol was pouring from the exhaust - I couldn't get the bike to get above 1K RPM with or without the choke,
So then decided to lean the mixture out with the adjustable screen located underneath (Whats that screw called?) I set it back to stock which was 3 turns out - I turned it in to 2 turns - Bike still behaved the same - I then raised the clip on the needles to 2nd from the top - hoping to leaning it out some more - still nothing. I noticed that there was petrol coming from the airbox from a what i would call a drain hole - Something wasn't right.

I then took the airbox off and the carbs spray fuel back into the sky in such mass amounts i went through 750ml of fuel in less than 5min idling...

I tried leaning out the mixture some more with the adjustment screw - still the same, I then moved the clip to the highest point and tried again, but still the same,

The specs which i found online for these carbs are for the float heights to be 13.5-14mm which I set them too - but still cannot get what the jets should be - but mine are 128's in mains and pilots are 60's
Stig
Level 3.5
Level 3.5

Post by Stig »

Those carbs look like BDST38 which is what's fitted as standard to all years 89-95 EXUP

The std jets are 127 & 122 from memory. The difference is due to air flow and heat relating to the inner 2 cylinders

The correct sizes and jet specs can be found in manuals in the tech section of the main site at my site below

Btw, air screw settings vary from 89 to 90
If its not broken it dont need fixing

http://www.exup1000.co.uk
Jordan_Ciaramitaro
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Those look exactly like the carbs that "were" on my bike. Your emulsion tubes are in bad shape, you will never get it sorted out without replacing them.

I scored a set of unmolested 99 r1 carbs, throttle tubes and cables, this morning for $60

$4 and 14 hours later it runs way better, it's a little lean but a little tuning will straighten that out.

It's not that bad of a job, and can be done much faster now that I know what to do. The boots fit perfectly on the Fzr intakes, but the r1 carbs are spaced differently, and the throttle cam is in between 3&4 instead of 2&3. All Minutia though

noodlemonkey
Site Newbie

Post by noodlemonkey »

Jordan_Ciaramitaro wrote:Those look exactly like the carbs that "were" on my bike. Your emulsion tubes are in bad shape, you will never get it sorted out without replacing them.

I scored a set of unmolested 99 r1 carbs, throttle tubes and cables, this morning for $60

$4 and 14 hours later it runs way better, it's a little lean but a little tuning will straighten that out.

It's not that bad of a job, and can be done much faster now that I know what to do. The boots fit perfectly on the Fzr intakes, but the r1 carbs are spaced differently, and the throttle cam is in between 3&4 instead of 2&3. All Minutia though

Thanks Jordan_Ciaramitaro - Thats a great Idea - Will have a look around and see if I can find a set,

Did some phoning around this morning looking for replacement Emulsion tubes and needles to find that the agents have discontinued any replacement parts for FZR carbs - Only other alternative is to have my emulsion tubes re-sleeved which if I consider the price to do that and to find another set of carbs - they're pretty much the same, so I'm going to see what replacement carbs I can find. Holding thumbs i find something worth mentioning...
TomcatMJ
Level 2.5
Level 2.5

Post by TomcatMJ »

Factory Pro may help: http://www.factorypro.com/products/jets ... t_jets.htm
Otherwise for Mikuni Parts: http://www.mikuni-topham.de (may need request by email for FZR Carb-Parts)
And for Keihin Parts: http://www.concom1.de (may also need request by email for not directly listed FCR Parts)
"The social dynamics of the net are a direct consequence of the fact that nobody has yet developed a Remote Strangulation Protocol." -- Larry Wall
Want Pics? Then have a look at my galleries...different topics: Bike and Car restauration, exhibitions, Trackdays (no, not me on the Track until now), carneval in cologne, other things.. ;)
Jordan_Ciaramitaro
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

You can also use tubes from a Ducati super sport 900. Same carb, slight difference in length of tube, nearly unmeasurable.

Stig
Level 3.5
Level 3.5

Post by Stig »

noodlemonkey wrote:Did some phoning around this morning looking for replacement Emulsion tubes and needles to find that the agents have discontinued any replacement parts for FZR carbs - Only other alternative is to have my emulsion tubes re-sleeved which if I consider the price to do that and to find another set of carbs - they're pretty much the same
As already said, I can and DO get replacement NEW Mikuni Toobs for std FZR carbs
If its not broken it dont need fixing

http://www.exup1000.co.uk
TomcatMJ
Level 2.5
Level 2.5

Post by TomcatMJ »

Stig wrote: As already said, I can and DO get replacement NEW Mikuni Toobs for std FZR carbs
:thumbsup: Getting parts from other Forummembers is always better for the community than from more "anonymous" Sellers ;)
"The social dynamics of the net are a direct consequence of the fact that nobody has yet developed a Remote Strangulation Protocol." -- Larry Wall
Want Pics? Then have a look at my galleries...different topics: Bike and Car restauration, exhibitions, Trackdays (no, not me on the Track until now), carneval in cologne, other things.. ;)
Jordan_Ciaramitaro
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

True, he did say that, and at a really good price. Though the factory pro ones are plated I put originals back in the Ducati almost 15,000 miles ago and it still runs excellent today.

These mikuni carbs get a bad rep, but I believe they are excellent. Just takes some dedication and not listening to everyone who says they are junk to get em right.

I am also considering getting in on the group buy because I am keeping my stock carbs, and now have time to really restore them.

Jordan_Ciaramitaro
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

TomcatMJ wrote:
Stig wrote: As already said, I can and DO get replacement NEW Mikuni Toobs for std FZR carbs
:thumbsup: Getting parts from other Forummembers is always better for the community than from more "anonymous" Sellers ;)
Second that, that's awesome of stig to reach out and help us all out!

noodlemonkey
Site Newbie

Post by noodlemonkey »

Thank you all for your input and assistance. I managed to get my hands on a better set of second hand carbs which get the bike running. But will require some attention in terms of tuning before they'll be 100% they're running extremely rich and 1 cylinder is intermittently running. I can hear it kicking in from time to time. Will report back once I get some more time on the bike.

I did on the other hand manage to find a local company which imports replacement parts for these carbs and many other older bike carbs which is great but as to be expected. They're pricey.

Thanks again. Much appreciated.
Jordan_Ciaramitaro
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Excellent, keep us updated on what you find and what settings you end up with.

noodlemonkey
Site Newbie

Post by noodlemonkey »

So just a quick update,

I simply cannot win with this bike - my word - from one thing to another,

So here is the latest set of bugs,

The carbs I purchased came off a running bike and the bike shop owner can vouch for them - they required a good cleaning as they had been standing for close on a year. After cleaning them I put them on the bike and had endless issues trying to start the bike - I then factory reset everything to have a base point to work from - slide clip on position no.4 and bottom adjustment screw 3.5 turns out. The bike now starts - BUT like clockwork - cylinder no.3 is dead - no heat coming from it what so ever,

So what I've checked and done to try find out why no.3 is dead - checked the upper slide diaphram, to find it had a slit in it - so replaced it with a unit which was in good condition - I also reset all the float heights to 14mm as per the manual - but still it no.3 was dead - my suspicions were that the carb was overflowing and dumping fuel - so I dropped the float to 17mm to have it close earlier than the rest - but sadly no.3 is still out for the count.

On other news though - I am unable to find out what jets are in it as the numbers are non-existent, but it came from a standard bike with only a Cann on it,

It idle hangs like you cannot believe - if you rev it up it hangs on 3K and doesn't move - I;ve checked for air leaks, i've cleaned and re-cleaned all jets and double checked everything,

Please someone save me from burning this bike.... GRRRRRRRRR banghead banghead :swear :swear :swear :swear
Jordan_Ciaramitaro
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

What are the chances you live reasonably close to middle Tennessee?