I'm out of patiance!

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

reelrazor
Wrench
Wrench

Re: I'm out of patiance!

Post by reelrazor »

Hough Racing wrote:i have a timing light but how do i know if it has advance mode. i do not see how a timing advance key can be added to the crank, where would that be? the mark i am using on the crank is just below the T on the crank veiw hole.
Nevermind on teh advance key..I was confusing your FZR1000 with 600's on that.

Advance mode means a dial with 'degrees advance' or button and display on the timing light to add in advance. On the FZRs base idle advance is 5°BTDC( + or - 1°) ...so you dial in 5° advance withthe dial or button and hook it to #1 spark plug and shine the light in the hole while cranking/running. The mark should be in the center of the window with the proper (5°) advance on the light.
http://www.michiganmobileservice.com/

“A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.”-Douglas Adams

http://www.youtube.com/user/reelrazor
Hough Racing
Site Newbie

Post by Hough Racing »

well, i messed with it again. valves on exhaust were .006 out so i fixed that, checked the timing of the cams. crank is on mark just below T and cams are dot up on marks of cam covers. still the same thing. i checked the jetting they are stock, so no jet kit. its got to be a bad ground, yea nope! checked that too. must be the cdi box, do they go? this bike starts up and runs good until you give it gas then it falls on its face. if you slowly give it gas it revs to about 4000rpm then sounds like the ignition cuts on and off. i am ready to get rid of this and take a 2000 dollar loss!
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

Hough Racing wrote:well, i messed with it again. valves on exhaust were .006 out so i fixed that, checked the timing of the cams. crank is on mark just below T and cams are dot up on marks of cam covers. still the same thing. i checked the jetting they are stock, so no jet kit. its got to be a bad ground, yea nope! checked that too. must be the cdi box, do they go? this bike starts up and runs good until you give it gas then it falls on its face. if you slowly give it gas it revs to about 4000rpm then sounds like the ignition cuts on and off. i am ready to get rid of this and take a 2000 dollar loss!
May I suggest that you try starting the bike in the dark. If you think it sounds like the ignition failing then it may be that at 4K+ the HT leads are sparking out to ground. . Best remove the tank cover & air box so you can see the whole HT run and watch for arc outs (had this on a chevvy that would run ok at low RPM and then cut on 2 cylinders )
columbusfzr
Site Newbie

Post by columbusfzr »

Have you checked to make sure you have good fuel flow from the pump? Reading over the thread it seems as if we may just need to check the basics here
columbusfzr
Site Newbie

Post by columbusfzr »

Sorry for bringing back what is likely a dead thread!!!!!!
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

columbusfzr wrote:Sorry for bringing back what is likely a dead thread!!!!!!
HR has not gotten back to us so he has
a} sold the bike as is
b} set fire to it in disgust
c} had one of his mates steal it & claimed the insurance
d} solved it and gone riding
IDK
columbusfzr
Site Newbie

Post by columbusfzr »

yamaha_george wrote:
columbusfzr wrote:Sorry for bringing back what is likely a dead thread!!!!!!
HR has not gotten back to us so he has
a} sold the bike as is
b} set fire to it in disgust
c} had one of his mates steal it & claimed the insurance
d} solved it and gone riding
IDK

Haha, Most likely he's :deadhorse: or RRBike