Water punp question

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

rogue2012
Site Newbie

Water punp question

Post by rogue2012 »

Hi can i have a very slight oil leak and it looks like its coming from the water pump oil seal ,now as i'm new to all this bike mechanics and as the engine is as sweet as a nut i dont want to take out the engine and strip it unless its really necessary ,so my question is can the oil seal that sits in front of the bearing be changed without stripping the engine ,i know that i have to take off the cylinder and the water pump but can it be done... i could have taken off the bits too check but i thought i would ask here first ... thanks for any help it will be much appreciated. :duh:
Yamaha FZR 1000 exup Streetfighter /1989
Rooster
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Re: Water punp question

Post by Rooster »

Pull the pump and do not open it cause its a bitch to get the "O" ring back into the pump itself but I have replaced a couple of seals in the Yamaha engines that are not flanged on the inside and the clutch push rod shaft was just a push in deal so I'm going to go out on a limb and say it may just pry out with a screw driver and the go back in driven squarely with a socket of similar size.
Even a blind monkey gets the odd banana
rogue2012
Site Newbie

Post by rogue2012 »

thank's rooster that was along the lines of my thinking just like the gear shaft oil seal it can be changed without stripping but would rather have someones opinion as i have only recently started messing with bikes and wasn't too sure,Now i can go ahead .. much appreciated. :tks:
Yamaha FZR 1000 exup Streetfighter /1989
sweekster
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by sweekster »

Hey Paul,

Got your PM. From the looks of this pic Image and from what I get from your question you're talking about #12? It does look like the pump can be removed. I've not actually done a swap as mine has not given me issues on that front.
Duane...
Bike:
1994 Yamaha FZR 1000 EXUP
Factory Pro Stage 1 Jetting | K&N Filter | Corbin Seat | ProTek Keyless Gas Cap | GSXR Mirrors
My Thread
Cage:
2005 Saab 9-7x 5.3i Arc AWD

THE WIKI IS YOUR FRIEND
THE SEARCH IS YOUR SIGNIFICANT OTHER
USE THEM!!