1992 FZR 1000 with a knocking motor...

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

MotoRestoration
Site Newbie

1992 FZR 1000 with a knocking motor...

Post by MotoRestoration »

Hey all...
I'm new to the site, but not new to the FZR...I love them. That's why I'm here. I used to have a 1993 FZR 1000, but ended up selling it off for parts to fund a different bike, a 2001 FZ1000. I love my FZ, but nothing compares to the FZR. I've regretted parting it ever since. So when the chance popped up to get another one, I jumped at it. Downside is, it's been a project. Long story short, I fixed what issues it had (broken clutch basket among some electrical issues) got it all set and together and fired it up :headbang: :headbang: except....a horrible knocking sound :duh: Sounds like it's in the top of the motor if I had to pin-point quickly. I didn't want to run it long...doesn't sound good. I did take a quick video of it, the knocking is worse than it sounds in the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75UG0rDN ... ata_player

Any input would be great....a full motor tear down? Valve adjustments?
Thanks for any and all help.
Past Rides:
1976 Honda CB750
1985 Kawasaki ZX600
1993 Yamaha FZR 1000
2002 Suzuki GSXR750
Current:
2001 Yamaha FZ1000
1992 Yamaha FZR1000
reelrazor
Wrench
Wrench

Re: 1992 FZR 1000 with a knocking motor...

Post by reelrazor »

That's valve noise- half engine speed.

Pull the cam cover and take a look. There will be excessive lash on one or more valves..possibly a spit valve keeper, or valve shim.

What yo find will determine your next step.
http://www.michiganmobileservice.com/

“A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.”-Douglas Adams

http://www.youtube.com/user/reelrazor
MotoRestoration
Site Newbie

Thanks for the info...I'll take a look at it tomorrow night and give an update.
Past Rides:
1976 Honda CB750
1985 Kawasaki ZX600
1993 Yamaha FZR 1000
2002 Suzuki GSXR750
Current:
2001 Yamaha FZ1000
1992 Yamaha FZR1000
willandrip
Level 7.0
Level 7.0

Post by willandrip »

If clutch basket was broken and had disintergrated then you would be advised to have a very good inspection of engine internals as fragments will be spred throughout.If basket was merely cracked along with "special" plate you make be lucky !!!!
Plus to previous re valve noise.
Sent from my keyboard using the English language not some teen text shite from a fooking phone.
MotoRestoration
Site Newbie

Unfortunately, I'm the third owner of this bike this season and I'm unsure of the true extent of damage that occurred to the clutch and basket. There were three fingers broken off the basket, I do know that. Not sure about friction plates as previous owner mentioned a "new clutch". I happened to still have the bottom of my 93 motor still intact and was able to get the parts needed for repair.
As for the valve noise, I did remove the valve cover and with my (not so) :headscratch: trained eyes I didn't see anything that looked suspicious...no obvious broken bits and no obvious signs of damage. I'm waiting on a set of feeler gauges to be able to measure the clearances...something I've never tried doing but figured it's time I learn.
I did play the video for a local trusted bike mechanic and he mentioned it sounded like multiple sounds/valves on the exhaust side specifically.
I have the sinking feeling my motor is a bust and I'll be looking for a replacement this winter, but as for now I'll be learning as I go...hopefully won't screw too much up lol...
Any other input would be great, thanks for the help so far. :tks:
Andy
Past Rides:
1976 Honda CB750
1985 Kawasaki ZX600
1993 Yamaha FZR 1000
2002 Suzuki GSXR750
Current:
2001 Yamaha FZ1000
1992 Yamaha FZR1000
reelrazor
Wrench
Wrench

Post by reelrazor »

Probably not going to be anything real visual...besides SEEING the gap under the cams' base circle (large enough to see-no feelers required).

spit keeper, or shim will be under the valve 'buckets' .

With the cam cover off roll the engine over slowly by the flywheel bolt, look under each cam when lobes point directly opposite the valve bucket. You may well hear a 'clink' or 'click' as you do it. and may see movement that is clunky rather than smooth....

Don't get me wrong...the feeler gauges are a good investment..but generally noise like that is from millimeters of lash (gap) rather than minor fractions of millimeters(normal lash).
http://www.michiganmobileservice.com/

“A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.”-Douglas Adams

http://www.youtube.com/user/reelrazor
MotoRestoration
Site Newbie

So...
I checked for lash, slowly spun the crankshaft and checked space between cam and bucket when lobes were opposite the buckets. Using a thin piece of metal, slightly less than 1mm, not one of the gaps were bigger than the metal piece. For that matter, they were all snug. Also no clunky sound to speak of when spinning the crankshaft. IDK
So, I removed the cams as per my Haynes manual. I checked and documented all shims and inspected all buckets and surrounding areas as well as I could. No obvious signs of damage or wear.

With cams off and buckets pulled, is there something I should looking for? Should I be digging deeper, remove the head?
Thanks
Past Rides:
1976 Honda CB750
1985 Kawasaki ZX600
1993 Yamaha FZR 1000
2002 Suzuki GSXR750
Current:
2001 Yamaha FZ1000
1992 Yamaha FZR1000
willandrip
Level 7.0
Level 7.0

Post by willandrip »

Me thinks head off and see what that valves hitting !!!!
That sounds far too loud and harsh (metallic) to be clearances.!!!
Pity you hadnt pulled cams or I would have said run at idle with covers off,feel cams at bearing caps with digit and you would feel that tapping.
The old screwdriver to the lughole trick is still very good practice unless trying to source ignition tracking!!!!!!!!!!!
Guesses only mind;
Over revved in past,stretched rod =piston hitting valve.
Big end failure (clutch debris)=piston hitting valve or head.
Valve stretched (over revved)= piston hitting valve.
Engine sounds flat=chunk out of valve(now embedded in head/piston/valve = mechanical contact.)
Sorry to say but I dont think new plugs are going to fix this !!!!!!!
Keep updated,thanks.
Sent from my keyboard using the English language not some teen text shite from a fooking phone.
MotoRestoration
Site Newbie

Thanks for the info...
I had a feeling I was going to have to dig a bit deeper to get to the source of the sound. Oh well, I'm this far in as it is, may as well get a bit more intimate with the motor :thumbsup: ...over the weekend I'll take the head off.
Updates to follow.
Any other input or personal tips for easy head removal would be greatly appreciated.
Andy
Past Rides:
1976 Honda CB750
1985 Kawasaki ZX600
1993 Yamaha FZR 1000
2002 Suzuki GSXR750
Current:
2001 Yamaha FZ1000
1992 Yamaha FZR1000
MotoRestoration
Site Newbie

So I just finished removing the head...
Unfortunately, I'm still not seeing anything to raise a red flag where the noise could be coming from.
Here's a couple pictures of the valves, not seeing any obvious sign of metal on metal contact, top of pistons look fine as well.ImageImageImage

Next step...need to buy a valve spring compressor.

Any other suggestions or direction anyone could point me in would be great.

Andy
Past Rides:
1976 Honda CB750
1985 Kawasaki ZX600
1993 Yamaha FZR 1000
2002 Suzuki GSXR750
Current:
2001 Yamaha FZ1000
1992 Yamaha FZR1000
banner001
Site Newbie

Post by banner001 »

unlikely, but it could be the petrol "knocking" although yours did sound very loud.

test by running engine and removing sparkplug caps one at a time and see if engine note changes.

my bet is a big end shell/bearing failure.
MotoRestoration
Site Newbie

Thanks for the input.
I'm waiting on a valve spring compressor, then I'll take a look at all the valves, stems, seals and keepers. If there's no issue there, the motor comes out and the search for a replacement is on through the winter. Maybe sell some parts to help offset the cost. Was hoping to get a few rides in this fall on it...not looking so good now.
Add insult to injury :Kick ...just noticed my FZ has a puddle under the front tire...fork seal has gone :duh: . Might not get any rides in until spring if things keep going this way...

Any other input would be great, thanks again.
Past Rides:
1976 Honda CB750
1985 Kawasaki ZX600
1993 Yamaha FZR 1000
2002 Suzuki GSXR750
Current:
2001 Yamaha FZ1000
1992 Yamaha FZR1000