FZR1000 Cams

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

McFizzer
Level 3.0
Level 3.0

FZR1000 Cams

Post by McFizzer »

Are there any other cam's that would fit in providing better accelleration or for a more aggressive riding style. I still have 10k before I have to get in there and adjust my valves but Im thinking ahead of maybe future mods or something I can do while in the head. :duh: I think I might have seen somewhere that someone had YZF750 cams in theres???
1992 FZR 1000
:Under serious re-construction:
cad600
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Re: Cams

Post by cad600 »

It wouldn't suprise me about the YZF750 cams. The actual valve area for the 750 and 1000 (FZR and YZF (Thunderace)) are damn near identical.

Check out these guys for some products:

http://www.aperaceparts.com/
http://www.faliconcranks.com/index.html
http://www.webcamshafts.com/
Yes, that is a Single Sided Swingarm FZR600 that I built.

Something is lurking, waiting, wanting to be built......It calls to me from the darkness....

I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel....Then I realize that it is the train coming to run my ass over....
McFizzer
Level 3.0
Level 3.0

Post by McFizzer »

Hmm Makes me wonder now as far as what the effects would be. Higher revving? quicker acceleration? I guess I wouldn't mind lossing some top end. Going 165 is fun but your limited to areas and tickets.... then again I could always change the gearing but what fun is that LOL ....
1992 FZR 1000
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

I would ask on this group:-

mc-engine@yahoogroups.com

these guys build engines from other engines & from scratch mostly for racing so if one set of cams replace another set these guys will probably know.
McFizzer
Level 3.0
Level 3.0

Post by McFizzer »

Thanks Cad, George. Im actually still browsing through the first link that cad posted up. Sooo much info and prices aren't to bad either :-)
1992 FZR 1000
bikenut
Donating Member
Donating Member

Post by bikenut »

if you use yzf750r cams valve springs and igniter you gain more top end and the rev limiter is moved from 12,000 rpm to 13,500 rpm
if i wanted your opinion i'd beat it outa ya

92 fzr 1040, 6 speed, ported and polished head shaved .005",modified 750 clutch basket,factory pro modified center clutch hub,ebc clutch and springs,dynojet stage three jet kit,cut airbox with k&n filter,wrapped header,vance and hines ss2r cut down for weight and backpressure,530 conversion -1 tooth on frt sprocket and 99 yzf r1 frt brake system= oh shit scary fast

82 porsche 911 sc
bikenut
Donating Member
Donating Member

Post by bikenut »

you should only do a couple of mods at a time incase something doesnt work out so you can go back. and fzr transmissions arent the tuffest so dont go to far :yutugh2:
if i wanted your opinion i'd beat it outa ya

92 fzr 1040, 6 speed, ported and polished head shaved .005",modified 750 clutch basket,factory pro modified center clutch hub,ebc clutch and springs,dynojet stage three jet kit,cut airbox with k&n filter,wrapped header,vance and hines ss2r cut down for weight and backpressure,530 conversion -1 tooth on frt sprocket and 99 yzf r1 frt brake system= oh shit scary fast

82 porsche 911 sc
McFizzer
Level 3.0
Level 3.0

Re: FZR1000 Cams

Post by McFizzer »

Bike nut, just seen you popped back up on the worldwide site. Learned alot of stuff on the bike between the knowledge of here, the archives and alot of stuff on worldwide.. I have YZF 750 cams, and a yzf 750 trans, along with the swinger. Putting together the parts for this winters built. still need my JE kit =)
1992 FZR 1000
fire-medic
Site Newbie

Re: FZR1000 Cams

Post by fire-medic »

I have an '87 FZR 1000. I recall having read in the USA magazines when the '88's came-out about the 1987 cams that they were more-balanced to top-end h.p. output and that they provided a double-step, one at about 7500 rpm's and another within about 2K of redline. When the bike was released, it followed the Japanese tradition of high-horsepower output for the first model year so the numbers which appeared in the magazines would be impressive. For the 1988 model year, the article said, the cams were re-done to knock quite a bit off-the-top-end output, on the order of about 16 h.p. but were much stronger in the middle rev-range than the stock cam profiles of the '87, to the tune of ~ 20 h.p. Since we spend our time on the street well-below the 10,000 rpm range, the redesign proved much more accessible to the average rider's use. If it's a track-day bike, then the high h.p. cams may be the thrill you need but for everyday use, the '88 big midrange cams are probably better.

I am not a professional mechanic, I don't own a flywheel dial gauge, and I have never swapped out my cams for another set in my FZR 1000 (did GPZ cams in my KZ 1000J, big difference!) so this is another of those apocryphal internet stories.