New to the FZR and need help

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

brian0081
Site Newbie

New to the FZR and need help

Post by brian0081 »

I have a 89 1000 and have had it for a year almost, well recently it started making a really loose rattling sound when I let off the gas and decelerate this is happening on the lower left hand side of the motor, now when I depress the clutch the noise go's away, release at low speed and again the awful loose noise in the bottom left. Now it drives just fine with no problem other than this noise when I decelerate and a mild humming frequency sound when riding above 85 mph but everything else is fine I checked the manual pulled the clutch apart, checked slave cylinder, pushrod it was all tight and all in one peice so I put it back together and changed the oil and presto it's the same any ideas out there? I think I wore the bearings out and possibly the shaft in the tranny, after a high speed run it seems to do it less when I come to stop lights. :headscratch:
sweekster
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Re: New to the FZR and need help

Post by sweekster »

Hello and Welcome to the board. Do you have the stock header on there still? From what I read the exup valve in there can be noisy after a while.
Duane...
Bike:
1994 Yamaha FZR 1000 EXUP
Factory Pro Stage 1 Jetting | K&N Filter | Corbin Seat | ProTek Keyless Gas Cap | GSXR Mirrors
My Thread
Cage:
2005 Saab 9-7x 5.3i Arc AWD

THE WIKI IS YOUR FRIEND
THE SEARCH IS YOUR SIGNIFICANT OTHER
USE THEM!!
brian0081
Site Newbie

Post by brian0081 »

just did the exup valve and cables with in the last 60 days it's definantly inside the motor
95FZR600
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by 95FZR600 »

Welcome!
2002 Yamaha R6-----2003 Yamaha R6

YAM93
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Post by YAM93 »

sounds like it's time for a new bike. if something has taken a crap inside the transmission ... i believe you're talking about having to remove the entire motor and split the cases, then trying to diagnose the problem without having x-ray vision... holy shat!

you can always part the bike out here... hopefully some guys can use the parts... also on FZR Archives.
" several meat-eaters lay in vomit, too weak to move..."
brian0081
Site Newbie

Post by brian0081 »

i thought it has pretty much taken a crap too but it still rides perfect it just makes noise, I could split the engine and have it done over the weekend providing I have the parts, it's the bearing and possibly the shaft, I NDI'd it at work and mechanical stethoscope need to mic it when I get it apart shaft $107 bearing $25 and two full days
sweekster
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by sweekster »

If you do that...take pics. We could use some info like that inour WIKI
Duane...
Bike:
1994 Yamaha FZR 1000 EXUP
Factory Pro Stage 1 Jetting | K&N Filter | Corbin Seat | ProTek Keyless Gas Cap | GSXR Mirrors
My Thread
Cage:
2005 Saab 9-7x 5.3i Arc AWD

THE WIKI IS YOUR FRIEND
THE SEARCH IS YOUR SIGNIFICANT OTHER
USE THEM!!
scottfla
Site Newbie

Post by scottfla »

Ummm, I am no mechanic by any means, but might this be a clutch basket problem?
95FZR600
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by 95FZR600 »

Go through and do your clutch adjustments from the bottom. I was having a similar problem when i took off out of 1st gear and since cleaning everything after the swinger swap and re-adjusting everything the noise is gone and rides like a champ.

scottfla
Site Newbie

Post by scottfla »

Whoa, I may have been sort of right? Cool )
95FZR600
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by 95FZR600 »

scottfla wrote:Whoa, I may have been sort of right? Cool )

I would say clutch or transmission. When I say clutch, anything having to do with it. Even minor adjustments. I would even clean the inside of the cover where your front sprocket is.

The Clutch

Clutch slipping - The manual says:
1. Incorrect clutch adjustment
2. Weak clutch springs
3. Worn clutch plates
4. Damaged pressure plate
5. Clutch release mechanism damage
If you just need to adjust the cable more, that's easy. First, loosen the adjuster and the hand lever. Then, remove the lower left fairing. On the front of the sprocket cover there's a round black rubber cap. Remove it. Under it you'll have a, I wanna say 12mm, nut; loosen it. Turn the phillip screw until the slightest bit of resistance if felt. Turn it out again and tighten once more until the slightest bit of resistance is felt, then back out a 1/4 of a turn. Tighten the nut without moving the screw, check for free play at the hand lever, adjust as needed. You may want give it a try while the fairings off. The first time I did this I tightened to much and had to pull it all off again.