Removing Fork Seal 1995 FZR100

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

Zebedee
Site Newbie

Removing Fork Seal 1995 FZR100

Post by Zebedee »

Hi,

I found this thread - viewtopic.php?t=7809 but as well as not wanting to necro an old thread, it didn't quite cover my issue.

The forks on my bike seem to be a little different than those I've found on help threads and videos. In those, they all say to use the outer tube like a slide hammer to knock the fork seal out. Problem is, on mine, the inner and outer fork tubes come apart without having to remove the seal first. So I'm left with an outer fork tube with seal installed. I didn't want to pry out the seal for fear of damaging the fork tube. Yes, I've removed the retaining circlip.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.
"Heaven won't take me and Hell is afraid I'll over"
----
Previous Bike: 1989 FZR1000 Exup R (see avi)
Current Bike: 1995 FZR1000 Exup RU - Will try to keep photos updated at https://goo.gl/photos/8Un6vjTRCfCxtL1t6
Zebedee
Site Newbie

Re: Removing Fork Seal 1995 FZR100

Post by Zebedee »

I got it! I realised I can use the seal itself. I got some rubber strips to protect the tube where the pry bar (flat head screwdriver) would pivot on and pushed the pry head into the seal. It doesn't matter if I wreck the seal. I then just carefully worked in circles prying the seal a little at a time till it popped off.
As mentioned everywhere, the old seals are great for knocking the new seals in, after application of some silicon grease around the outside.

If anyone wants more details or some photos let me know and I'll get them up here.

You WILL need either a third person or the correct tool for compressing the spring in order to remove the lock ring.

All in all, I think the job is fairly easy once you've done it once :-)
"Heaven won't take me and Hell is afraid I'll over"
----
Previous Bike: 1989 FZR1000 Exup R (see avi)
Current Bike: 1995 FZR1000 Exup RU - Will try to keep photos updated at https://goo.gl/photos/8Un6vjTRCfCxtL1t6