Post by saftie »

Seat installed...
TomcatMJ
Level 2.5
Level 2.5

Re: 1988 project

Post by TomcatMJ »

The subframe looks nice done WOOT :cheers: :headbang:
I guess it should be either painted or powdercoated in colour of the main frame (should be either RAL 9006 or 9007).
By the way: your solution for the thermo unit is ways better than the solution the previous owner of my 2LA choosed:
Image20170429_190110 by tomcatmj, auf Flickr
The PO destroyed the frame by this solution screwy bonkonhead :-o :puke: but at least, i managed to get a complete frame including subframe and swing arm (in case i don't get the certificates for the given K&J swing arm and the seat) for a few bucks :grinnod:
In the meantime i changed the steering bar against a M-Bar...
Image2LA mit Magura M-Lenker by tomcatmj, auf Flickr
Just a bit smaller, but at least with certificates for the german TÜV so that it should be possible to ride this 22mm steeringbar roadlegal instead of the welded(!) 1 inch Drag Bar.
I gues the previous owner liked to gamble withhis life, no other explanation for building such wanted breakpoints in a bike ike a welded bar and a selfmade rear-rising like the one on the following pics:
Image20170429_190224 by tomcatmj, auf Flickr
Such modifications definitely have to be reverted before riding this bike ...but it will take some time to get the cash for the needed parts to restore this bike properly...at least some plans for optical styling had been done, viewable at https://flic.kr/s/aHskqgfNUi in my mockup-gallery (all mockups done with "The GIMP" from http://www.gimp.org )...
"The social dynamics of the net are a direct consequence of the fact that nobody has yet developed a Remote Strangulation Protocol." -- Larry Wall
Want Pics? Then have a look at my galleries...different topics: Bike and Car restauration, exhibitions, Trackdays (no, not me on the Track until now), carneval in cologne, other things.. ;)
saftie
Level 1.5
Level 1.5

Post by saftie »

Tail frame will be black to match tank for now. I might powdercoat entire bike at some point and will change colors.

Wow, your bike does look a bit messed up, doesn't it.
Even though I am German, I am happy to live in the US where you don't have to deal with TUV etc. Here you just throw stuff on your bike and you're good to go. Safe? Nope... believe me, I have seen some crazy dangerous "mods"
saftie
Level 1.5
Level 1.5

Post by saftie »

Been a while waiting for frame, business trip etc.
Frame is now done and I begun to put the electrical stuff on the bike.
Here the battery and m-unit. Btw, the starter relay sits underneath the tank mount bracket.
All wires grouped by power, ground and in- and outputs

Just need to shorten them and hook up to m-unit.
I should be done before weekend.
saftie
Level 1.5
Level 1.5

Post by saftie »

Done for now and small details follow later.

TomcatMJ
Level 2.5
Level 2.5

Post by TomcatMJ »

Oops,seems the photos also became victims of photobucket-commercializing... :-/
"The social dynamics of the net are a direct consequence of the fact that nobody has yet developed a Remote Strangulation Protocol." -- Larry Wall
Want Pics? Then have a look at my galleries...different topics: Bike and Car restauration, exhibitions, Trackdays (no, not me on the Track until now), carneval in cologne, other things.. ;)
saftie
Level 1.5
Level 1.5

Post by saftie »

Yeah, shame on them.
I will have to update with Dropbox or whatever.
TomcatMJ
Level 2.5
Level 2.5

Post by TomcatMJ »

I use flickr for such purposes.. 1 TB space for free since years, directly usable if you have a yahoo-account (i reactivated a years old account for this) ;)
saftie
Level 1.5
Level 1.5

Post by saftie »

I haven't found the time to look into this so thanks for that. I did like photobucket bc it was easy to use. But I'll move completely off of them.
saftie
Level 1.5
Level 1.5

Post by saftie »

Totally forgot about this thread.
Bike has been on and off the road for a while now.

Currently, I am swapping the swingarm over to a 94 which allows me to run a 17 inch wheel with a 180 tire. Almost done, just waiting for the correct rear shock.

In case you are interested, I built a small website where I photo document everything: gabobobikes.com
The 88 is under "builds"