1988 fzr1000 exhaust question

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

saftie
Level 1.5
Level 1.5

1988 fzr1000 exhaust question

Post by saftie »

I'm somewhat stuck with my exhaust now.
I need a muffler/slip on. I removed the one that was on there and ended up with what you see in the pic.

When buying an after market, is there anything to look out for?
What are my options?

Also, the end is very close to the swingarm and might actually touch if suspension is fully compressed. I assume I should remove the end piece and/or turn it?
Looks like it might come apart somewhere below the bike, even though there is no clamp.

TomcatMJ
Level 2.5
Level 2.5

Re: 1988 fzr1000 exhaust question

Post by TomcatMJ »

http://www.motea.com/en/Yamaha/FZR_1000 ... s-3176.htm <-New complete Exhaustsystem (including muffler/silencer/pipes)
http://www.blackwidowexhausts.co.uk/fzr ... -339-c.asp <-Also new complete Systems or just new Pipes for getting different aftermarket mufflers mounted.

One possible Alternatve from the used-parts-market: WMP (but the spanish manufacturer doesn't exist any more, so i guess only used ones are sometimes on the market anymore)
Image2016-11-04-1157 by tomcatmj, auf Flickr
Image2016-11-04-1155 by tomcatmj, auf Flickr
Seems to be mounted like yours had been, also missing a clamp, but theres a fitting clamp at the aftermarket (at least http://www.louis.de has got them in their catalogue),sold as sparepart from mivv for either 110 mm or 100 mm diameter as needed :
Image2016-11-06-1169 by tomcatmj, auf Flickr
Soundcheck at the previous owner of my 2LA (ok, motor seems to need some adjustment ;) ):
Image2LA noch beim Vorbesitzer 2016-09-18-864 by tomcatmj, auf Flickr
"The social dynamics of the net are a direct consequence of the fact that nobody has yet developed a Remote Strangulation Protocol." -- Larry Wall
Want Pics? Then have a look at my galleries...different topics: Bike and Car restauration, exhibitions, Trackdays (no, not me on the Track until now), carneval in cologne, other things.. ;)
saftie
Level 1.5
Level 1.5

Post by saftie »

Thanks for that.
Took exhaust off completely and tried to remove the midpipe, but I cant.
It's either rusted or not meant to come off. Most likely just rust.
Also, there was a Yoshimura on which I removed. I pretty much had to cut it off and now not sure what actually belonged to the muffler/slip on and what to the pipe.

I bought an 88 muffler plus midpipe on ebay a few days ago but the midpipe is actually of a smaller diameter than what I am currently running.

saftie
Level 1.5
Level 1.5

Post by saftie »

Rephrase my question: should the circled piece come off? I'd assume so but it's rusted shut.

saftie
Level 1.5
Level 1.5

Post by saftie »

Ok..
I made a cut and was able to remove that midpipe. I'll just get a clamp later once I figured out what I am going to do muffler wise. Or new pipe.