Shim clearances

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

Craigwhit1973
Site Newbie

Shim clearances

Post by Craigwhit1973 »

Hi all,
I'm new to the site and I'm looking for some advice. I ride a 1987 fzr 1000 Genesis and I'm looking at changing some shims as 5 of the inlets have no gap at all. I understand it's not good and some people say if it doesn't rattle it's not good. My query is should I adjust to the smaller end of the gap requirements/larger requirements or in the middle. Hope everyone understands what I'm getting at and all comments will be greatly appreciated. Also would I be looking at replacing the valve springs if they have stretched? Thanks Craig.
DonTZ125

Re: Shim clearances

Post by DonTZ125 »

Run it loose, at the larger clearance value. Absolutely check the springs free length while you have them out, but that isn't the reason the clearances tightened up.
willandrip
Level 7.0
Level 7.0

Re: Shim clearances

Post by willandrip »

Valve springs don't stretch.
Exactly the opposite.....they are in under compression their whole working life.

You do realise to check the free length the head has to be removed and the valves disassembled ?
If you go this far you would at least grind the seats if not cut them and replace the valves.

A genuine head gasket is at least £100 or dollar equivalent.
Sent from my keyboard using the English language not some teen text shite from a fooking phone.