Name that noise!

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

Jordan_Ciaramitaro
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Name that noise!

Post by Jordan_Ciaramitaro »

I purchased a 1992 FZR1000 project, which I originally thought was complete, however, found it was missing the TCI.

After discovering and removing the exploded clutch, I spliced in FZR600 tci, and replaced the clutch.

What is this rattle/knocking noise? The hyvo seems to have a lot of slack when at rest is this normal?

https://vimeo.com/140487522

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jordan_Ciaramitaro
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Re: Name that noise!

A little more info on the bike, it has been sitting for at least 10 years as it was last registered in 2004.

Here is a picture of the clutch and basket that came out

djalbin
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by djalbin »

That clutch and basket bag-of-parts looks like it might make a little noise. How's the oil looking? The same oil flows through the engine and clutch. Did any of the metal pieces get into the oil filter and circulate through the engine?
Don
1994 FZR1000
Tucson, AZ
Stig
Level 3.5
Level 3.5

Post by Stig »

Ouch!

That looks to be a little beyond the caperbilities of JB weld... Time for billet basket upgrade or graft the 750 basket onto the original clutch drive gear :thumbsup:
If its not broken it dont need fixing

http://www.exup1000.co.uk
Jordan_Ciaramitaro
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Okay, my appologies but here is little more info, there is so much so quickly I forget until asked.

When I purchased the bike the engine was seized due to clutch dampener spring wedged between the crank, and block of cylinders 3 & 4. It doesn't appear to have been ran at all with the clutch exploded, there were no bits in the oil screen and no bits appear to have made it anywhere else in the engine. You can see the spring that was seizing the engine in the photo, it is the one that is stretched and smashed.

I removed all of the broken bits from the crankcase and sump, cleaned it all out really good with spray lubricant and compressed air. I then reinstalled the gear which had separated from the basket and its dampener plate and springs, reinstalled the clutch hub, fresh oil and filter, then proceeded to crank then engine.

Though the ticking noise in the video is with a replacement clutch assembly installed, it made the same noise with only the gear installed from the old basket.

I did try briefly cranking it over without the basket gear installed and the noise seem to go away, but did not run it long enough to get a good listen, as i was afraid of running it without oil pressure.

The cam chain seems to be tight, the tensioner does have some worn spots on the ratchet, I pulled the tensioner out past the worn spots and reinstalled which did not seem to make a difference.

When I was first cranking the engine, once it started to fire the starter would start slipping/grinding, almost to the point where i could not start the bike. Once I did get it started and the more I ran the engine, the issue seem to have mostly gone away.

I did notice the HYVO chain seems to have a lot of play in it. is this normal? I was not able to find much in the service manual about it.

Last but not least, I have not been able to rev the engine much as I have been using a CDI from an FZR600 as this bike did not come with its cdi. I will have the correct CDI installed this evening.
leefzr6
Site Newbie

Post by leefzr6 »

Did you sort this problem Jordan ?
Jordan_Ciaramitaro
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Not yet, I am waiting on new carb boots as I am hoping it is being caused by severe cylinder misbalance

reelrazor
Wrench
Wrench

Post by reelrazor »

not sure what that noise is, but If i was there I'd be yelling "shut it off!, shut it off!, shut it off!: until you did.

Nothing that is going on there will be improved by carb boots.
http://www.michiganmobileservice.com/

“A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.”-Douglas Adams

http://www.youtube.com/user/reelrazor
Stig
Level 3.5
Level 3.5

Post by Stig »

Just out of curiosity.. Have you checked the exhaust for holes or blowing??
If its not broken it dont need fixing

http://www.exup1000.co.uk
Jordan_Ciaramitaro
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Lol, it does sound bad until revved just a tad. Even now as I make it run smoother and smoother it gets better and better and is gone (mostly) at a 1400 rpm idle.
Believe it or not I took the bike on a road trip nearly a thousand miles without issue. Ran it well into redline several dozen times, got it into a speedo indicated 160mph. Even though I suspect that is off by a good 15-20% that's insane for a bike built in 1992. I can't believe these things are so fast. Do these bikes really go 160?

Haven't checked for exhaust leaks because I am certain of at least 4 exhaust leaks. This noise really sounds like it is coming from the starter/transmission area. The trans shifts fine doesn't pop out of gears or have any of the horror stories that plague old Yamahas. Unless there is a story about knocking noises I am not familiar with.

Jordan_Ciaramitaro
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Well answered one of my own questions. Had to let off, but I don't think it had much more left. Probably very close to floating the valves on the 23 year old springs.

Not done on public roads
TomcatMJ
Level 2.5
Level 2.5

Post by TomcatMJ »

Sound like an unsmooth running EXUP Shaft-Arm, perhaps to few lubrication ( copper-paste) in the housing or not proper adjusted cables? Or just something way too loose inside the Exhaust's silencing-area which is now jumping around inside the Exhaust?
"The social dynamics of the net are a direct consequence of the fact that nobody has yet developed a Remote Strangulation Protocol." -- Larry Wall
Want Pics? Then have a look at my galleries...different topics: Bike and Car restauration, exhibitions, Trackdays (no, not me on the Track until now), carneval in cologne, other things.. ;)
Jordan_Ciaramitaro
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Thanks I am leaning towards exhaust leaks myself. Someone installed a full aftermarket system, so no exup valve, however, the servo is still there and working. I have a stock R1 system with exup valve I have been considering installing, it will be a few weeks before I can get to that project though.

I really appreciate everyone's input. This bike is a pleasure to ride, have put nearly 2000 miles on it now, and only had it a month that includes getting it running/driveable.
TomcatMJ
Level 2.5
Level 2.5

Post by TomcatMJ »

If you want to save the unused but nevertheless running servo its cheap to build an EXUP-Dummy / EXUP-Terminator if you know about soldering electrionics by plan ;)
Take the schematic from http://cvieth.bplaced.net/motorrad_exupdummy.html as most EXUP-Servos use the same Signals and are mostly only different in their housing and so its easy to adopt the wiring to other Yamahas as well ;)
Partlist (if not taken from the schematic by yourself, but made to show the price of the Parts here in Germany):
ImageReichelt-Teileliste_für_EXUP-Terminator by tomcatmj, auf Flickr
The circuit build for a friend without cash and deeper knowledge about electronics by parts from my recycled-electronics-parts-box(cheapest way to build ;) ):
Image2015-04-12-388 by tomcatmj, auf Flickr
After building the circuit i cutted of the unused part of the platina. I know, it doesn't look so clean as i forgot to straighten the parts before and the only thing hard to get is a proper plug for it, but if wanted one could put other plugs with enough pins for this to the circuit and the wireloom of the motorbike. Time for soldering was about 20 Minutes done without timepressure and its working as expected at a 3LE actually ;)
The only "Bullsh**" is that the shipment of the parts is definitely more expensive than the parts themselves :D

Edit:By the Way: Did you re-jet your carbs due to the lack of the EXUP-System? The original jetting is made for use with EXUP and without EXUP it may not run really well...maybe thats the problem?
"The social dynamics of the net are a direct consequence of the fact that nobody has yet developed a Remote Strangulation Protocol." -- Larry Wall
Want Pics? Then have a look at my galleries...different topics: Bike and Car restauration, exhibitions, Trackdays (no, not me on the Track until now), carneval in cologne, other things.. ;)
Jordan_Ciaramitaro
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

How excellent, just so happens I have a technical degree in electronics and currently pursuing my bachelors in electrical engineering. I have lots of recycled parts in my possession all of which I organize into labeled card protectors in folders lol I'm pretty sure I am obsessive compulsive. Striping junk circuit boards is what I do in my spare time instead of watching TV. Thank you for the great info.