Vinyl wrapped frame

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

78cobra
Site Newbie

Vinyl wrapped frame

Post by 78cobra »

So since I decided to overhaul my bike this winter. I had decided I want to make the bike look 'fresh' as well. My choices to the frame were, keep stock, polish, paint (or vinyl) black, vinyl chrome, or gold vinyl chrome. My main goal was being able to go back to stock. And make look nice.

I decided on gold chrome vinyl. Mainly because most guys who freshen their frames look is to polish it. it looks nice but on the 94 1000 I personally don't like the look of it polished. And polishing the part of the frame that the sub frame attaches to just makes things odd & difficult.
CURRENT: ALL BUILT NOT BOUGHT (expect the 88fzr)
88 FZR1000: custom blue, lowered, jetted, full V&H super sport
95 FZR1000: V&H SS2R can, V&H Power Pack, YZF750R Cams, 530 -1/+1, k&n filter, flush mount, chopped & tinted screen, radio (2) 3" & (1) 6" speakers.

78 Mustang Cobra: black, red decals, T-top, 306, c-4, H/C/I, geared
85 Mustang GT: black, red stripe, 302, 5spd, EFI conversion, heads, cam, intake, Holset WH1C turbo, geared, Capri front end & much more
93 Mustang LX: black convert, 2.3, auto, factory gt body kit
04 BMW 645Ci: arctic blue, sport, winter & logic 7 package, dvd, & 19s
78cobra
Site Newbie

Re: Vinyl wrapped frame

Post by 78cobra »

This is the first time wrapping anything and was deffinetly a challenge. I used a 5ftx5ft sheet I would recommend going with double that for your first time so you can redo any mess ups instead of having to make them work. Though 5x5 is enough to do everything.
Before I started the wrap
Before I started the wrap
IMG_201503150147.jpg
Now, this is the first time I have ever used vinyl, none the less harder to use chrome vinyl.
Attachments
Just placed some parts to get a better look.... the seat will be going back to black.
Just placed some parts to get a better look.... the seat will be going back to black.
IMG_2015031544547.jpg
The part hat is not finished yet was the section that was the biggest pain in the neck! I recomentadion not trying to stretch the whole thing. And not being afraid to cut and butt together pieces.
The part hat is not finished yet was the section that was the biggest pain in the neck! I recomentadion not trying to stretch the whole thing. And not being afraid to cut and butt together pieces.
95 FZR1000: V&H SS2R can, V&H Power Pack, YZF750R Cams, 530 -1/+1, k&n filter, flush mount, chopped & tinted screen, radio (2) 3" & (1) 6" speakers.

85 Mustang GT: black, red stripe, 302, 5spd, EFI conversion, heads, cam, intake, Holset WH1C turbo, geared, Capri front end & much more
78cobra
Site Newbie

Post by 78cobra »

I was originally going to do the rims too. But I think that will be too much gold chrome. Aswell as it may be more of a pain in the neck to do than I'd like to. Plus I'm bad at cleaning my rims, that tend to get soo dirty and the black hides that nicely. Though I may do the lip.

As from what I know, we'll could find on google. No one else has gold wrapped the frame of a motorcycle. My only concern is issues from the frame getting so warm. I may be running an aftermarket fan actuator to help keep Temps down. But an easily removable one, since wrap is not permanent.

I plan on doing the lower half of the front forks, possibly the rearsets, and rotors, but not sure.
Attachments
Just another pic to get a better idea.
Just another pic to get a better idea.

AussieFZR
Site Newbie

Post by AussieFZR »

Look really good mate. I be interested to see how it holds up over time with engine heat. Was it hard to do?
coops
Level 1.5
Level 1.5

Post by coops »

Looks great.
kolederacer
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by kolederacer »

Thats not a bad idea. I just sent one of my frames to powder coat. How much did it cost?
1988 FZR1000 - 1995 suspension
1974 RD350
2003 Honda RC51
2013 Yamaha YZ450f
78cobra
Site Newbie

Post by 78cobra »

For 5ft x 5ft of gold chime vvivid it cost me about $38 U.S. but you will also need gloves, non scratching and non static. Though I used a set of gloves from the dollar tree or harbor freight that were soft. You will also need a felt squeegee I recomentadion at least 2 3" or 4" ones about $6-10 from amazon. Then lastly you need a heat gun and I would recomentadion one that doesn't have a trigger, one that can just stay on. I had one already it was from harbor freight it cost about $40. So about $100 total.

The one thing I would recommend is also buying adhesive promoter in brush on type. That's about 20 -30 plus another 5 for tin brushes from harbor freight. I didn't use any because I have no idea what residue or effects it would have on the frames protective coating, after vinyl is removed. But people do use it on car paint so I don't think it could be that bad.

As for heat of the frame. Well I have a lamp I put a decent size square on. The lamp gets so hot it will leave a nice burn just touching it. The vinyl has actually settled on nicer than when I just plopped it on as well as when it's hot I could squeeze out some bubbles. Be careful if you do it it can scratch so let it cool a little. Aswell as it shows no signs of wanting to peal from the heat. It just seems to want to stick even more.